Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #3,737 of 10,312
Quote:
Considering the signal gets there as only 0s and 1s, does copper make it sound warmer? I'm pretty new to all this stuff.

Yes, USB cables provide with noticeable sound differences. I haven't had the pleasure to listen to Frank's made USB cables, but I did make a couple myself from his wires and they sound awesome. :) The resolution of your DAC/USB interface are very important to how much of a difference you will hear. The more resolving, the bigger of a difference you will hear from everything upstream in your chain, including USB cables. That said, and if it comes to this I would prioritize the hardware first, then the cables.

May 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,738 of 10,312
Quote:

Yes, USB cables provide with noticeable sound differences. I haven't had the pleasure to listen to Frank's made USB cables, but I did make a couple myself from his wires and they sound awesome. :) The resolution of your DAC/USB interface are very important to how much of a difference you will hear. The more resolving, the bigger of a difference you will hear from everything upstream in your chain, including USB cables. That said, and if it comes to this I would prioritize the hardware first, then the cables.

So say I want to build a system around a HD800 and I find them too bright after I have got the headphone cable, amp and everything, I should order a copper USB cable instead of a silver one?

May 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #3,739 of 10,312
Quote:
So say I want to build a system around a HD800 and I find them too bright after I have got the headphone cable, amp and everything, I should order a copper USB cable instead of a silver one?

That is pretty much what I've ended up doing. But as the copper headphones cable made sufficient difference for my HD800s to where I like them in terms of brightness, I am actually using a silver USB cable, just love the added detail and energy. This is highly dependant on preferences, so if you find them too bright in your system still then yes, copper USB should help matters along nicely.

And of course, something to keep in mind when balancing your system: If you are using multiple headphones or even speakers out of the same DAC, whereas the headphones cable will only affect that one pair of headphones, the USB will affect the sound with everything.

May 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3,740 of 10,312
Quote:

That is pretty much what I've ended up doing. But as the copper headphones cable made sufficient difference for my HD800s to where I like them in terms of brightness, I am actually using a silver USB cable, just love the added detail and energy. This is highly dependant on preferences, so if you find them too bright in your system still then yes, copper USB should help matters along nicely.

Thanks for the explanation. Oh, an a last question since you have HD800s. Say that you get one of Frank's copper cables for the HD800, will the sound be a bit darker? The stock cable is also copper I think so the sound signature should stay roughly the same right?

May 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #3,741 of 10,312
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Oh, an a last question since you have HD800s. Say that you get one of Frank's copper cables for the HD800, will the sound be a bit darker? The stock cable is also copper I think so the sound signature should stay roughly the same right?

While I don't remember what material they are using in the stock cable, the SQ is not great and does not come close to that of Frank's copper cables. I've heard the Scorpion and Black Widows from what I remember and both are head and shoulders above in everything compared to stock. You will find more details, musicality, flow, bass, instrument separation, overall clarity with Frank's copper cables I've mentioned. I've not had the pleasure to hear the Venom, but it should be even better.

May 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,742 of 10,312
While I don't remember what material they are using in the stock cable, the SQ is not great and does not come close to that of Frank's copper cables. I've heard the Scorpion and Black Widows from what I remember and both are head and shoulders above in everything compared to stock. You will find more details, musicality, flow, bass, instrument separation, overall clarity with Frank's copper cables I've mentioned. I've not had the pleasure to hear the Venom, but it should be even better.
Thanks for explaining all these things.

May 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3,743 of 10,312
Quote:
Yes they do. My preference is for a silver usb cable. Frank made me a venom usb and it is excellent.

What about Silver Plated Copper ? Anyone tried that for USB ?

By the way, can you say what type of USB DAC did you try those aftermarket USB cables on ? I am interested if there are clear differences between cables on async DACs with dedicated drivers.

May 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,744 of 10,312
Quote:
What about Silver Plated Copper ? Anyone tried that for USB ?

By the way, can you say what type of USB DAC did you try those aftermarket USB cables on ? I am interested if there are clear differences between cables on async DACs with dedicated drivers.

Yes, there are. The DAC in my signature is Async (w.dedicated drivers - I am not sure this matters). Now what is more important though, many stock DAC USB interfaces are actually not at all very smartly integrated, thus nor clean and resolving enough, so they sometimes can be a bit of a bottleneck. That said, in any configuration, good USB cables made a difference to me and the more resolving and transparent your hardware is, the more evident it should be.

May 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #3,745 of 10,312
That is interesting. Not that I doubt it, but the DAC was operated using the KS or WASAPI driver modes in a player that recognises them (like foobar), right ? Just checking 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,746 of 10,312
Quote:
That is interesting. Not that I doubt it, but the DAC was operated using the KS or WASAPI driver modes in a player that recognises them (like foobar), right ? Just checking 
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course. Anyway we're going on a tangent on this thread now, so I will stop here. I am posting in other threads as well on this subject.

But as a result of my recent findings I will very likely speak with Frank for some USB cables. :)

May 26, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #3,747 of 10,312
I have changed my order from copper BW to Silver Widow for my HD800 after reading some good comments of SW with HD800.  Actually I have a 18AWG Scorpion and it works wonderfully with HD800. Now I make a small gamble of using Silver Widow for my 2nd HD800 which a lot of people said silver cable is not suitable for HD800.  Hope it is not true and they can match well, with fingers cross 
cool.gif

Hope Frank can speed up his work and I can then provide the result of A/B tests for the Scorpion and SW.

May 26, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #3,748 of 10,312
Quote:
I have changed my order from copper BW to Silver Widow for my HD800 after reading some good comments of SW with HD800.  Actually I have a 18AWG Scorpion and it works wonderfully with HD800. Now I make a small gamble of using Silver Widow for my 2nd HD800 which a lot of people said silver cable is not suitable for HD800.  Hope it is not true and they can match well, with fingers cross 
cool.gif

Hope Frank can speed up his work and I can then provide the result of A/B tests for the Scorpion and SW.

Why not try a copper venom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back