Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,446 of 10,312
Quote:
Very nice, i was just listening to my pair also.

I hope you have some nice cables for them.  
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,447 of 10,312
Just got  a pair of HD800's delivered today as well. Have 30 days to decide on whether I want to keep them.

Listening now on my PC and really enjoying them. Will burn them in a bit more and then try them on my main system later.

If I decide to keep them it will be interesting working out which balanced Toxic cable would suit them best, got 2 silver widows ordered for my HE6's and LCD2.2's but maybe not the best choice for the HD800's?

Any thoughts?

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,448 of 10,312
Quote:
Just got  a pair of HD800's delivered today as well. Have 30 days to decide on whether I want to keep them.

Listening now on my PC and really enjoying them. Will burn them in a bit more and then try them on my main system later.

If I decide to keep them it will be interesting working out which balanced Toxic cable would suit them best, got 2 silver widows ordered for my HE6's and LCD2.2's but maybe not the best choice for the HD800's?

Any thoughts?

Will let you know once I receive the SW for my HD800s. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,449 of 10,312
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Venom rc4 maybe?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,450 of 10,312
Quote:

Will let you know once I receive the SW for my HD800s. 
smile_phones.gif

Looking forward to it,assuming I still have the HD800's by then.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,451 of 10,312
Quote:
I have been offered considerable sums previously to rush orders, but never accepted. I remember one customer offered to pay double if i could ship within 2weeks.  If i did start doing this and even 25% of my customers paid for a rush service, this would delay the customers already waiting even further, so this is not an option at present.

Although, if anyone fancies paying me £5,000 for rush service, i will ship next day for you. 
biggrin.gif

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.
wink_face.gif

That you don't take rush orders while others are waiting is a great MO, IMO.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,452 of 10,312
Quote:
Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.
wink_face.gif

That you don't take rush orders while others are waiting is a great MO, IMO.
bigsmile_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,453 of 10,312
All you dedicated Toxic Cables fans have convinced me - I just added a HD-650 SPC cable to his workload. And just to give you an idea of what type of businessman he is (without going into too much detail), I asked a question about a certain service which turned out he didn't offer, and he actually recommended a competitor who does! How often do you hear that? However, that didn't really matter because I knew once I had read through this thread I was going with Toxic.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,454 of 10,312
For those looking to get a cable quickly can consider getting the ones above, rather then waiting weeks by buying from me.

The HD650 cable is actually £140 new, maybe a typo there.

You should put it on the FS forum, more people will see them then.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,456 of 10,312
Quote:
For those looking to get a cable quickly can consider getting the ones above, rather then waiting weeks by buying from me.

The HD650 cable is actually £140 new, maybe a typo there.

You should put it on the FS forum, more people will see them then.

Thanks,  just getting up to the 15 post qualification for creating a classified :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,460 of 10,312
I can't see why you would not keep the HD800 even if you have the HE-6 and LCD-2!  Unless of course you have a pair of Stax 007 or 009 or you like a huge amount of bass.

I kept all three because they do different things and suit different music.  The HD does not have the bass of the HE-6 or the immediacy of the LCD-2 but it gives you the inner details and gigantic soundstage that no other headphones I am familiar with can give.

This leads me to the cable suggestion:  the HD800 has serious sibilance issue and some stridency in the treble when driven hard that are quite annoying.  These cans are a very poor match with most silver cables, even Frank's superb Silver Poison, which tend to let through even more treble and tighten the bass, both negatively impacting the HD800.

I got by far the best results with Frank's Copper Venom.  This cable tames the HD800 sibilance with the added benefit of a fuller bass , which the HD800 could certainly use.  I also got the best results when the HD800 is paired with a tube-hybrid amp like the RWA Corvina or to a lesser extent a very smooth solid-state amp like the V200. Finally a simple mod shown elsewhere on this forum--a judicious damping of the the peripheral area inside of the HD800 ear cups--eliminates the problem completely albeit with a small loss in the soundstage size, which the HD800 can afford.

When hooked up to the RWA Corvina via  Frank's Copper Venom, I find the HD800 to be my best all around headphone, especially with long listening sessions, among some pretty stout competition (Hifiman 500/HE-6, Audeze LCD2/3, Grado PS1000 and Beyerdynamic T1).

I hope this brief discussion is of some use to you in your cable choice and I also hope you keep the HD800..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back