Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #61 of 10,312
Quote:
XD... What does My post count have to do with anything?

All I'm saying is that percived sound is influenced by things other that actual sound.

Your post count on Headfi is almost completely dedicated to telling people that cables could or do make no difference to the 'perceived' sound. Its almost a fixation you have, rather than you actually enjoying listening to music and commenting on other things. Everyone in this thread has noticed a difference and wants to thank frank for his excellent work. Ive been into high end audio equipment for 30 years now and im pretty sure ive a good grasp on what im hearing. Its tiring listening to kids with low end systems telling everyone how they are wrong and that two empty bean cans with a piece of string is just as good as a silver cable with high grade XLR plugs (yes I know its not an accurate analogy, its a joke). Move on, or get a new hobby.

Have a little respect for Frank and let us discuss his excellent work and cabling. I have no interest in hearing your views on this, ive read enough about them in many other threads.

Lets keep this thread on track for Franks work.

Back to listening to my R10's. killer job buddy!

May 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #62 of 10,312
Just bought some cables from Frank
biggrin.gif
 He answered my querstions really fast! Thank You
When I get them, I will post some detailed pictures here!

Rodrigo Pita

May 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #64 of 10,312
Here are some picures of the copper cable for the HD800:

May 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #66 of 10,312
Quote:
Anytime. maybe you should start a hearing aid thread too for some people :wink: Its nice they follow me around the forums telling me what I can or can't hear though. flattering in a creepy stalking kind of way
gs1000.gif

Quick question for you Frank. Did anyone ever buy a cable from you then contact you later to say they didn't hear a difference and they wanted their money back? Or did someone even say that they were disappointed? Im sure you have sold hundreds of cables to hundreds or people, or even thousands. id be curious to hear......

There will always be some and it's just best to ignore them mate.

Now that you ask, i have never had a disappointed customer, i always get emails from customers telling me how much they like the sound/build of the cables, i did have a customer recently message me saying the only thing he did not like was that the Y split was a little heavy and that has since been changed to the same ones i done on your R10's for all sleeved cables. Apart from that every comment i have received has been positive.

May 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #67 of 10,312
Quote:

Looks really good man. How you liking the sound? notice an improvement in mid/lower bass frequencies after the swap out? I know my HD800s sounded much better after replacing the substandard stock cable they ship with.

I want to let the cable sound for a while, but there are 2-3 things that i immediately noticed:

1 - this cable is much smoother/natural sounding than the original one; i don't hear that annoyng treble tendency and grain of the stock cable; as a conseguence of this, you can fell much better the bass impact;

2 - this cable has better transparency, it's like cleaning a dirty windowpane, you can see better through:

3 - this cable is also more focused; with the stock cable, somethimes the instruments seems to float in the air, with this you can better locate everything.

The only night and day difference is the smoother upper midrange, the other improvements are more subtle.

Another thing that i really like is that the cable is very light!

May 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #68 of 10,312
I really do like the HD800, but ill never forget buying them years ago and immediately wondering what the hell I had just bought. the bass was flimsy and the treble was very grainy.

I remember moving to the Cardas cable before I met Frank and being extremely impressed with the improvement of the bass focus and some of the grain was removed in the high end. Im not a bass head, but i like a nice tight bass with impact.

I have heard the Hd800 with several cables that frank makes and I think he has really mastered the cables for that headphone. I dont think ive ever been 100% happy with the treble on the HD800 to be completely honest, but his cables really help make it sing. Fantastic soundstaging.

May 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #69 of 10,312
Quote:
I dont think ive ever been 100% happy with the treble on the HD800 to be completely honest, but his cables really help make it sing.

I think that (at least on my serial number) the HD800 treble is not as bad as some people say, but with the stock cable there is for sure a slight emphasis and grain.

As far as i know, this is the first all copper cable sold by Toxic Cables for the HD800 and yes, with this, the HD800 treble seems completely ok for me.

May 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #71 of 10,312
I bought a copper cable from Frank for my LCD-2 which arrived yesterday. I wanted it purely because I was sick of how heavy and thick the stock cable was, you could always feel it interacting with things and pulling down. Thankfully this cable is a massive improvement, it truly looks great and is so light I never feel it in the slightest. Very happy with it thank you!

May 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #73 of 10,312
Quote:

Seriously!   I literally can't wait to get home every night - rediscovering all my favorite music.  This is the same story I've heard from other people when they get a major upgrade, so it may be a trite thing to say, but it's also true for the Silver Poison!  

I'd say, for me, the greatest single improvement had with the Silver Poison is the localization of instruments and voices - the imaging is spectacular with the Silver Poison, relative to the stock Audeze cables for the LCD-2.  

I strongly believe that when the weakest of low-volume signals among the mids and highs are lost or simply made diffuse (defocused) by one or more devices in the component chain, the sound stage becomes compressed in every dimension - brought closer to residing only between our ears, and worse, all the nuances of numerous, tiny echoes - those low-volume reflections that literally define the space in which the instruments and performers reside - simply vanish.  They don't have enough energy to be heard through the haze and thus, are completely inhibited from making any contribution to the three-dimensional imagery that can only thrive when transparency has been maintained throughout the entire reproduction chain.  Blur the focus at one or more points in the chain (from a low-resolution master recording all the way through to listening to open headphones in a room with an air conditioner vent producing even a little bit of white noise), and you will lose that imaging, along with compressing the sound stage.  You might as well listen to a cheap car radio while driving on a noisy freeway with the windows down.

Let me add more to this theorizing:  I believe that if even one component in the chain is significantly degrading resolution, the differences heard when A/B-ing any other components in the chain will be minimized.  For example, if you are using a mediocre DAC (like the one in my portable Sony PCM-M10), the differences heard while swapping between the LCD-2 stock cables and Silver Poisons will be detectable AND enjoyable, but not mind-blowing, by any means.  If you replace the mediocre DAC with a good DAC (like a Centrance DACport LX - a USB DAC), but you still have a single-ended amp (like my Meier Stepdance) that doesn't really have enough power to satisfy the LCD-2, you will again detect some level of improvement by swapping to a better DAC, but it won't be earth-shattering, because you still have some mediocre components in the chain.  But, as in my personal experience, if you have a good recording, are using a good DAC, a good interconnect, a good amp, good cables AND good headphones in a space where ambient noise is non-existent, then BINGO - you'll finally hear what each component has brought to the table because none them will be held back by anything else.   

I feel as if that part of it is obvious - that you must eliminate all the weak links in the chain - but what's not obvious - at least it wasn't for me until I lived through it - is that once you do eliminate all the weak links, at least to a level where all of the components are performing at the same level of competency, whether they be Hyundai components or Ferrari components, something magical happens that I didn't expect:  You can regress out any one of those improvements you made, and the detectable degradation will be huge - a much larger performance drop than you could possibly observe if other components in the chain are weak at the time of the swap.  For example, if I replace the 2500mW per channel PB2 with the 500mW Stepdance, while everything else is at the best I have in my inventory, the difference I hear is stunning - a much larger difference than I can hear when even one other component in the chain is sub-par.  Similarly, if I replace the Centrance DACport LX with the Sony PCM-M10, all other components being the best available, again, the difference is much more easily detected (smack you in the face easy to detect) than when swapping DACs while some other weak component is in the chain.  

This is a revelation to me - It's like replacing addition with multiplication:  "DAC + interconnect + amp + cable + headphones" suddenly becomes "DAC x interconnect x amp x cable x headphones" in terms of the total measure of sound quality enjoyed when every component is contributing equally well.  And I think this phenomenon explains why so many people can't hear any improvement to sound quality when swapping out this or that.  The whole exercise is made moot by one or more components that mask any ability to discern differences that would be easy to detect if every component in the chain was performing at least as well as its peers.  

Surely, I could have said all of this with fewer words, so I apologize for my pedantic nature, but hopefully, somebody can follow what I'm saying here, and benefit from what I've discovered.  
redface.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back