Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 1, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #8,928 of 10,312
Received my Hydra 22awg for IEM today. Tested it briefly with my A12, and I have to say the sound is amazing!

My first impression is it improves the clarity, separation, and sound stage quite significantly comparing to the stock cable or even with SW24. The mid is full and smooth. The high is so clear and extended. The bass is tight but reduced a bit. Overall, it a very good pure silver cable!

Comparing the Hydra22 with SW24, as you would expect from the gold portion, SW24 has a bit fuller and more bass impact than the Hydra. However, I find the Hydra has much clearer and extended high, which I really love!

I cannot say Hydra is a better cable than the SW, but they are different. These two are of course the top notch cables in the market. I guess it all comes down to the type of music and preference of the listener.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #8,929 of 10,312
I cannot say Hydra is a better cable than the SW, but they are different. These two are of course the top notch cables in the market. I guess it all comes down to the type of music and preference of the listener.

have you burned in the Hydra for at last 100 hours before you started comparing? if not then i say wait a little before doing so.

unless your goal was to compare it out of the box vs a burned in SW24.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #8,930 of 10,312
Received my Hydra 22awg for IEM today. Tested it briefly with my A12, and I have to say the sound is amazing!

My first impression is it improves the clarity, separation, and sound stage quite significantly comparing to the stock cable or even with SW24. The mid is full and smooth. The high is so clear and extended. The bass is tight but reduced a bit. Overall, it a very good pure silver cable!

Comparing the Hydra22 with SW24, as you would expect from the gold portion, SW24 has a bit fuller and more bass impact than the Hydra. However, I find the Hydra has much clearer and extended high, which I really love!

Nice impressions thanks. Don't suppose you have any picture of them you could share with an eager crowd! :D

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #8,931 of 10,312
have you burned in the Hydra for at last 100 hours before you started comparing? if not then i say wait a little before doing so.

unless your goal was to compare it out of the box vs a burned in SW24.

No, that was out-of-the-box impression. Burning the cable now and will give more impression later.

Nice impressions thanks. Don't suppose you have any picture of them you could share with an eager crowd! :D

Pictures are coming tonight!

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #8,932 of 10,312

Ooh... Eagerly awaiting mine as well as the BW for the Final Audio Sonorous X...

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #8,933 of 10,312
Hydra 18AWG // HD800S

I have received my Hydra today and would like to share some of my Day-1 impressions. I was looking for something to do late night listening of my digital rig which consists of the following components:

iMac//Audirvana with Qobuz//Mutec MC-3 USB//Genlec 8330+7350//Vovox AES//Violectric 850&280//HD800S

In the past I have ordered with Frank a SP for my Shure SE535-LTD and SW for my Spiral Ears 5se, so it was natural to ask him for a nice cable for my HD800S. Since I was looking for something a bit special and was not really convinced with the Venom Frank offered a new secret 18AWG cable. A couple of mails later my order was placed.

As you would assume the build quality is top notch, looking very clean and well sorted.

I was afraid that it might be too stiff or heavy, but it is smooth and weight wise for a 3m cable still comfortable enough.

My very first listen was weird, since I had a specific assumption of how the cable would perform. Being all silver I thought of sparkle with a pronounced high end. But that was not the case, instead it felt like the cable added time and space and removed all fatigue which was present with the stock cable. I have had  the very same impression adding a Naim top end CD player to my analog rig some years back. In the first moment it feels like things have been removed once you start to realize how much easier it is to listen to, not only to the flow but to all individual instruments, single notes and silence in between.

From my experience with all silver I found them a bit lacking in the base department, I can't say that with my new Hydra. It all sounds well rounded and articulated, no smears or artificial voicing.

For me this cable is not a HiFi show off product and I am very glad to have put trust in Frank for this new cable, I have gotten something special which helps to get close to the music. The only thing important to me is when I sit down and have some time, that in the first few minutes the music starts to reach me. I hate products that excel for a short demo but leave you itching for upgrades because you are missing something. If it helps to understand the music get into it and pick up the emotion it is caring that is what I am looking for, and this new cable does exactly this for me.

I hope my impressions help you in your decision process.

ATB, Martin

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #8,934 of 10,312

This cable continues to burn in and keeps amazing me big times.

Just listening to Snarky Puppy // Atchafalaya

The song is arranged for 4 trumpets, 2 french horns/mellophones, 4 trombones/baritones, and 2 tubas. I am truly amazed how full and natural the individual instruments are presented and how fast the cable supports and presents the song.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #8,935 of 10,312

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, burn them in and they will get even better.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #8,937 of 10,312
  Hydra 18AWG // HD800S

I have received my Hydra today and would like to share some of my Day-1 impressions. I was looking for something to do late night listening of my digital rig which consists of the following components:

iMac//Audirvana with Qobuz//Mutec MC-3 USB//Genlec 8330+7350//Vovox AES//Violectric 850&280//HD800S

In the past I have ordered with Frank a SP for my Shure SE535-LTD and SW for my Spiral Ears 5se, so it was natural to ask him for a nice cable for my HD800S. Since I was looking for something a bit special and was not really convinced with the Venom Frank offered a new secret 18AWG cable. A couple of mails later my order was placed.

As you would assume the build quality is top notch, looking very clean and well sorted.

I was afraid that it might be too stiff or heavy, but it is smooth and weight wise for a 3m cable still comfortable enough.

My very first listen was weird, since I had a specific assumption of how the cable would perform. Being all silver I thought of sparkle with a pronounced high end. But that was not the case, instead it felt like the cable added time and space and removed all fatigue which was present with the stock cable. I have had  the very same impression adding a Naim top end CD player to my analog rig some years back. In the first moment it feels like things have been removed once you start to realize how much easier it is to listen to, not only to the flow but to all individual instruments, single notes and silence in between.

From my experience with all silver I found them a bit lacking in the base department, I can't say that with my new Hydra. It all sounds well rounded and articulated, no smears or artificial voicing.

For me this cable is not a HiFi show off product and I am very glad to have put trust in Frank for this new cable, I have gotten something special which helps to get close to the music. The only thing important to me is when I sit down and have some time, that in the first few minutes the music starts to reach me. I hate products that excel for a short demo but leave you itching for upgrades because you are missing something. If it helps to understand the music get into it and pick up the emotion it is caring that is what I am looking for, and this new cable does exactly this for me.

I hope my impressions help you in your decision process.

ATB, Martin

Thanks Martin, really glad you are happy with the cable and really appreciate you sharing your detailed thoughts.

This cable was designed not to be like other silver cables and am glad you can hear that difference.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #8,939 of 10,312

Thanks mate, really nice picture. Hope you won't mind if i use this.

sure 
wink_face.gif
, taken by iPhone anyway haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back