Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 17, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #9,001 of 10,312
Just a brief update on the Hydra journey with my LCD 3. This morning I thought I would put the Hydra to the test with some EDM to see how quick and nimble it is and the bass impact.

Test tracks were Sugar by Robin Schultz feat Francisco Yates; Blame by Calvin Harris feat John Newman; Alchemy by Above & Beyond feat Zoe Johnston.

I'm happy to say that the Hydra combo with LCD 3 pass the test very nicely: good density, great soundstage, good speed in the various layers with no smearing and excellent bass. Of course, the best bass resides with the TH900 for EDM but that is a closed can whilst the LCD 3 is open.

In the meantime, I hope to find someone who can mod my TH900 so that I can have use mini XLR connectors. :)

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #9,003 of 10,312
Seems exciting! I wonder if pairing would be nice with TG334. Hopefully it retains the mids of 334 :p 

It retains mids alright. I suspect it'll tighten up the bass in the TG. We'll know when one chap I know gets his cable. :)

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #9,004 of 10,312
In the meantime, I hope to find someone who can mod my TH900 so that I can have use mini XLR connectors.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can do that Kiat, but would end up pretty expensive with the shipping to and from. Hopefully someone in Singapore will be able to do it for you.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #9,005 of 10,312
I can do that Kiat, but would end up pretty expensive with the shipping to and from. Hopefully someone in Singapore will be able to do it for you.

Thanks, Frank! Let's see what happens. If I should find myself in London, I could carry it along. Max can then work on it while we pop out to the Neighbourhood pub for a pint or two. :yum:

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #9,008 of 10,312
Aug 18, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #9,010 of 10,312
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #9,011 of 10,312
Under pressure... :yum:

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #9,012 of 10,312
Sent a mail a few days ago to Toxic Cables but not had a reply yet, I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a new cable for a pair of Heir Audio 5.0's? I'm starting to have a few issues with the right side cable, sound breaks up and is fixed with a wiggle of the cable.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #9,013 of 10,312
Sent a mail a few days ago to Toxic Cables but not had a reply yet, I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a new cable for a pair of Heir Audio 5.0's? I'm starting to have a few issues with the right side cable, sound breaks up and is fixed with a wiggle of the cable.

My advice is to PM Frank on head fi. Best way to reach him.

As for your problem, sounds like the soldering is gone where the wire is soldered to the connectors.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #9,014 of 10,312
Got my new Toxic Cable Hydra 18awg cable for my K10s! It is so comfortable, much better than the cables that have twisted pairs leading to the connectors, it is smooth so it doesn't chafe at all really which is really nice! I have listened with it for a few hours now and it seems to really open up the sound stage (things seems to come from a more 360 degree arc whereas before it was a bit 2D). There is a tad more treble volume but the bass seems to be unchanged so still full of impact. Overall very happy with the change from the Silver Widow 22awg.

I also got a Silver Widow 22awg Micro OTG cable but for some reason it doesn't seem to connect my devices which is a pain
confused.gif
. Tried it both ways round and with various startup sequences but it just won't play ball,my other ones are still working fine so it is definitely a problem with the new cable. I am sure though that Frank will sort it asap so I am not too worried.

Here is a picture anyway for those interested:

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9,015 of 10,312

I can make the cable either balanced or single ended.

If you cannot wait, i can always supply you with a DIY kit, everything you need to build the cable. Please do note, the DIY BW wire on sale is the 26AWG, while the wire i use for my cables is the 22AWG version.

Sorry Frank, please could you confirm for the Black Widow (IEM) cable are you using 22 or 26? Your website advertises 26.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back