TOTL iem for "casual" listening. Various genres.
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

panzercancer

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Been following headfi for some time.
I've decided to indulge myself and get a good pair of earphones, been lurking around, reading reviews and impressions all over and became confused with all this info, which sometimes is conflicting even.

I do not have an extensive previous experience with expensive iems (mostly used earbuds while at home doing chores, exercising or sat in front of speakers), but I may be able to outline what I like and dislike to hear, so here goes:
1) my music library is 2/3 vocals, more male or deeper female, genres are all over: blues, rock, soul, folk, jazz (bop/fusion), some academic (chamber mostly), no electronic whatsoever, no metal as well.
2) I think I'm treble sensitive, but equalizer usually helps.
3) I very much enjoy vocals, lush, realistic.
4) Like bass but rather quality than quantity - it's extension and rumble and not the punch.
5) Very much enjoy the sense of presence, like you are sitting in front of the musicians and can hear where everyone is (this is called "imaging", I believe), all the detail.

Budget is around 2000usd +/- 10% top.

That's it, probably. Sorry if that outline is confusing, I hope I didn't contradict myself anywhere.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 19
I see you live part time in Vancouver. Next time you're there you should head to Headphone Bar and checkout the Campfire Audio lineup. The Solaris and Andromeda might interest you. Also, while I've never heard it, I've heard good things about the 64 Audio A12t relative to what you're asking for.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 19
I see you live part time in Vancouver. Next time you're there you should head to Headphone Bar and checkout the Campfire Audio lineup. The Solaris and Andromeda might interest you. Also, while I've never heard it, I've heard good things about the 64 Audio A12t relative to what you're asking for.

Hey, I remember you from my thread on reddit! I did go to HeadphoneBar (place is nice, the owner was really helpful). Unfortunately, Solaris wasn't comfortable to my ears and a bit too big. I also didn't enjoy the vocals that much, can't really place it, too emotionless maybe? Andromeda was nice but it seemed close to Solaris with lesser bass. While I initially liked the signature, on the second try Andros didn't evoke as positive a response from me as the first time.
I'll try and find a sample of a12 to try. I think there are several places in Moscow that have 64audio.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Hey, I remember you from my thread on reddit! I did go to HeadphoneBar (place is nice, the owner was really helpful). Unfortunately, Solaris wasn't comfortable to my ears and a bit too big. I also didn't enjoy the vocals that much, can't really place it, too emotionless maybe? Andromeda was nice but it seemed close to Solaris with lesser bass. While I initially liked the signature, on the second try Andros didn't evoke as positive a response from me as the first time.
I'll try and find a sample of a12 to try. I think there are several places in Moscow that have 64audio.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them!

Lol...do you have the same username? I hope you find something that works for you!

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 19
You may want to consider Empire Ears Phantoms, they are in your price range. They have 5BAs and I listen to all types of music with them - most of which you listed - and really enjoy them. The bass is definitely there, but it's quality and they sound great with live recording. Also, they do fit better than the CA Solaris, which I also have.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 19
I listened to the Empire Ears Phantoms at RMAF and think they are just what I would like to listen to and let everything just go away and just let the music have it’s time. One of my favorites just so nice and silky smooth just musical.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 19
I listened to the Empire Ears Phantoms at RMAF and think they are just what I would like to listen to and let everything just go away and just let the music have it’s time. One of my favorites just so nice and silky smooth just musical.

They are great and take the music to the next level, especially from a quality source. I've only had mine for about a month, ordered them while at CanJam NYC - they are currently pictured in my avatar.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 19
They are great and take the music to the next level, especially from a quality source. I've only had mine for about a month, ordered them while at CanJam NYC - they are currently pictured in my avatar.
Well I’m not going with the next level but they do just play music. I’m going to have to sell some stuff as I do want a pair as they just play music so well.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the suggestion, checked them and seems like something I'd enjoy. How do they fare with high frequencies? I'm reading mixed opinions.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for the suggestion, checked them and seems like something I'd enjoy. How do they fare with high frequencies? I'm reading mixed opinions.
For my taste, the Phantoms fare well with the higher freqs. Overall, they are on the warmer side, but I don't have any issues with the separation when I listen to classical music, soundtracks, 1980s hair rock or female artists such as Diana Krall and Melody Gardot. I also listen to Candy Dulfer and Mindi Abair, and the bass thumps with quality and the highs are clear. Listening to Diana Krall's Christmas album as I write this, and Jingle Bells sounds terrific. Her voice is upfront, but the cymbals are clear, although a bit in the background, but that's how the song is mixed. It's the same with her Live in Paris album. Hope this helps.

As you review your options, one important thing to consider is ergonomics and fit. This is very important to me in one of my use cases, traveling. I do travel quite a bit and I find the Phantoms are better suited for travel on planes than the Solaris. I can't sleep in the Phantoms, but for regular short to medium length flights, the Phantoms are great.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 19
I'd recommend the Oriolus, based on your demand. Easy on the ears. Bass is plentiful and rumble friendly, and the mids have fantastic weight on them especially for vox. Highs are relaxed so it's pretty darn versatile. It's a reasonable entry TOTL for the price.

I still haven't scored an opportunity to hear Andromeda but that's another iem that others rave about though the latter's sound signature may differ a bit. Good luck.

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd recommend the Oriolus, based on your demand. Easy on the ears. Bass is plentiful and rumble friendly, and the mids have fantastic weight on them especially for vox. Highs are relaxed so it's pretty darn versatile. It's a reasonable entry TOTL for the price.

I still haven't scored an opportunity to hear Andromeda but that's another iem that others rave about though the latter's sound signature may differ a bit. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try to find more info about Oriolus. Aren't they a parent company to Hyla?

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 19
IER-Z1R

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 19

Highs are pretty rolled-off/recessed on Phantom (and Legend X), or at least it feels that way because the bass/midbass just bleeds/overwhelms the entire frequency. All in all it is suitable for treble sensitive folks.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 19
I recently spent 7 hours over a period of a week listining to a range of IEMs above $1000, Campfire Andromeda S,Solaris, Atlas, Audio 64 Tia Fourte, Sony IER-M9, IER-Z1R, JVC Victor HA-FW1000, are the ones I can remember out of the top of my head

The ones that really stood out to me were the Sony IER-Z1R as extremely engaging, powerful and impressive. Like every element on the music was enhanced in a way. The only slight drawback was that the mids could have been a little more prominent for my taste. This was like one of those setups in a Hifi Studio with huge and super expensive speakers.
The Campfire Solaris also went a bit in that direction, energetic and engaging, but with nowhere the might of the Z1R. Another IEM that stood out in a very different way was the JVC HA-FW10000 as extremely realistic and naturally sounding, it was the most "Live" impression I got with the classic music I used to test it.

If I had that budget I'd likely go for the Z1R as the "muscle car" amongst those, but maybe the Solaris or the FW10000 would be the more suitable everyday companions.

PS: I suppose you are using a good source?
My most expensive IEM is $200, and my most used source is the $500 Chord Mojo DAC/Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back