TOTL HP Shootout 2: Abyss, HEK, HEX, HD800S, HD800 Heavy Mod, HD800 Stock - YGG/ROK Stack
Apr 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #76 of 133
No. I don't have the original receipt. But the first abyss I bought was just 2 or 3 months old from Touch of Mordern.

Not only hi-end headphones have a higher chance suffer from failure but also amplifiers and DAC. Reasons are sometimes simple. Just no offensive. We always call high-priced stuff as high-end stuff. And many of high-end stuff especially in the field of headphone audiophiles are made from small company. Really small company. They built those high-end stuff with their full concentration which I always appreciated, but the quality control is just no match for some relative large company.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #77 of 133
  Not that I was ever implying that! BUT, I would like to do a test to have each person turn the volume to their normal listening volume and test the SPL reading for it. Every headphone should easily be able to reach 95-100db without risking damage. I listen around 85-90db on average, and once in a while if there is a song I really enjoy I may get to the point of possibly hitting 100db.  but this is for a few minutes at most.  I've found that it seems average listening levels for most people i've done this spl test with is around 90-95db, and one person I know is actually listening around 70-80dB. 

Nah, it's all good, I didn't think you were implying anything like that.

I find I start listening around 80 dB or so and by the end of the night both my listening and BAC levels have crept up bit - though I've never though to see how loud things had gotten at the end of such a session.  A lot depends on what I'm listening too.  I can't imagine listening at an average level of 90 dB for any length of time though.  Lana Del Rey's "Video Games" is playing on my LCD-4 right now and it's average level is sitting at 83 dB - much more than that I'd find her a bit shouty.

That's me though ... and I'm one of those unfortunate souls that can hear hiss down at 24 dB or so (e.g. the residual noise level using a Chord Mojo feeding SE846s) so maybe I'm just unusually sensitive to louder sound too.

I'm actually quite excited to hear your pair as you've confirmed it's not like the demo pair we had at the TOTL HP shootout meeting. :D  My M11 is more than capable to drive them very well, and likely three pairs at a time if we had them :D

The fundamental signature is the same as what we had at the shootout - but these are definitely performing a lot better and without the bass flutter.

I surely didn't get a good experience with the abyss and I truly want to give it another go! 

Fit was an issue for almost everyone and that's a major part of getting these things to sound their best.  In fact they're pretty tunable and I find myself adjusting the fit (mostly using the joint in the support to twist the cups forward or back) to get the best out of different types of music.  I believe @potkettleblack has the same experience.  So ... fit might be an issue again - as personally I think they sound best with either a very light seal or no seal at all and I have them adjusted in a way that fits me very well and with a high-degree of comfort and is easy to flip forward and back.

That means people aren't going to be able to bend the frames to get the best fit possible for them.

It seems there is a higher rate of failure with the Exotic cans. I've heard even the LCD4's have had a lot of driver issues or failures. I don't know this for certain, but have heard this from two different people as to why the delays have set in for the delivery of the LCD4's. The abyss seems to commonly have some reviews that are questionable. I really am glad to hear you got a good pair. I'm curious what would have actually been the cause for the failure? It's simply a guess. I find it hard to believe someone had over driven these drivers and caused the failure. Yet maybe some amps have pop's when you shut them off or even turn them on.

I've heard of a few failures with the first-driver revision of the LCD-4, but not of any with the new, 200 ohm, driver.  The LCD-3 has a poor reputation for such failures though.  And the demo Abyss we had was clearly broken.  And those are the only driver issues/failures I've ever heard of that weren't down to the headphones being blatantly (if accidentally) abused.  The most common thing I've seen there has been people turning up the volume because they weren't getting any sound, then realizing they hadn't actually hit "play" ... and then they hit "play" without thinking to turn the volume down and ... BOOM!  They get a nasty surprise, possibly damage their hearing and destroy their cans.

A colleague of mine smoked his brand new HEX on my Lyr doing exactly that about two weeks ago.

I doubt any of those failures were due to actually listening too loud in normal use though.

--

Incidentally, I decided (this morning actually) to add the LCD-4 to my collection - so we can compare those with my Abyss and HD800S and your HEX.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #78 of 133
No. I don't have the original receipt. But the first abyss I bought was just 2 or 3 months old from Touch of Mordern.

Not only hi-end headphones have a higher chance suffer from failure but also amplifiers and DAC. Reasons are sometimes simple. Just no offensive. We always call high-priced stuff as high-end stuff. And many of high-end stuff especially in the field of headphone audiophiles are made from small company. Really small company. They built those high-end stuff with their full concentration which I always appreciated, but the quality control is just no match for some relative large company.

So if you bought the abyss and it was only 2-3months old then indeed it was under warranty and should have been sent in for repairs. I'm confused to why you didn't do this? And the second pair you say was new from touch of modern? I actually remember when those headphones were for sale on T.O.M. - I actually considered it then. Well damn, I'm confused, I surely would of been upset enough to send them in for repair/replacement.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #79 of 133
So if you bought the abyss and it was only 2-3months old then indeed it was under warranty and should have been sent in for repairs. I'm confused to why you didn't do this? And the second pair you say was new from touch of modern? I actually remember when those headphones were for sale on T.O.M. - I actually considered it then. Well damn, I'm confused, I surely would of been upset enough to send them in for repair/replacement.

Sorry for my English. The first pair was bought new from TOM, and it was only 2-3 months old when I got it from the original owner.

The second pair was also used. It was a lite edition. I bought it Feb 2016 and sold it Feb 2016.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #80 of 133

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PVx9vNY674ZjliQ0IzR24tcUU/view?usp=sharing
Just found the history in email with Joe. Maybe the distortion just comes from my face. I am a very thin person like the headphone stand.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #83 of 133
@doyouknowSBmean
 BTW, have you sold your Master 11? It's in your "owned"  gear-list. Our beloved M11-owner bimmer still uses M11 everyday : )

Sold to my friend in Florida and he loves it. M11 is a great all in one combo. I heard it again when I was traveling to Florida this year. Pretty good synergy with HE6 actually.
I bought an HD800 again recently. I found something really interesting. Take a look.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #84 of 133
You are using SE output, and two TRS from Senn, they must cut from the original cables since nobody could buy the Senn terminus (separately) these days. (About 10 yrs ago, there's an accident, Senn sold 2,000 TRS for $2/p, cos they made the wrong cables...)

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #85 of 133
You are using SE output, and two TRS from Senn, they must cut from the original cables since nobody could buy the Senn terminus (separately) these days. (About 10 yrs ago, there's a accident, Senn sold 2,000 TRS for $2/p, cos they made the wrong cables...)

Those original adapters are my personal "collection" .The cable of this HD800 is totally different from what I bought ago. SN38000+. I am wondering if this is a fake cable or even fake HD800. The sound is typical 800 sound though.
I am still waiting for the original owner's reply. Maybe he replace the cable.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #86 of 133
  @doyouknowSBmean BTW, have you sold your Master 11? It's in your "owned"  gear-list. Our beloved M11-owner bimmer still uses M11 everyday : )

what?

i'm confused. Beloved? lol I'm still using the M11 everyday, but it's going back to Kingwa eventually here... some mods to be done

and crap, I don't know if the Abyss will work for me either. My face may cause it to distort! :)

also too bad for HiPhi, as he's likely under 180lbs and once he gets his pair of Abyss he may be disappointed to find out his face is causing them to distort too. 

and doyouknowSBmean, it's too bad you sold your M11. I didn't think you would. Apparently something better came along. Or you are the type that is simply never happy with anything and constantly are changing things up. :D

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #87 of 133
  what?

i'm confused. Beloved? lol I'm still using the M11 everyday, but it's going back to Kingwa eventually here... some mods to be done

and crap, I don't know if the Abyss will work for me either. My face may cause it to distort! :)

also too bad for HiPhi, as he's likely under 180lbs and once he gets his pair of Abyss he may be disappointed to find out his face is causing them to distort too. 

and doyouknowSBmean, it's too bad you sold your M11. I didn't think you would. Apparently something better came along. Or you are the type that is simply never happy with anything and constantly are changing things up. :D

My friend visited my home and robbed M11 and Telefunken speaker of mine last year.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #88 of 133
  The Raspberry Pi itself I'm very familiar with as I've used them in a number of non-audio related projects, and its clock implementation is not really targeted at audio.  It's certainly not something I'd use that way at least - I'd want to move all of the audio-centric hardware to a dedicated, task-specific, implementation (which is what the Digi+ is one version of).

From your links, it shows that the Digi+ is using a standard implementation of the WM8804 interface/transceiver.  Per the datasheet, given a stable 27 MHz external clock, it's internal PL is good to about 50ps.  Much better than the Pi can handle on its own.  So that's not bad.  It's not in the same class as more recent audiophile products, but certainly beats the specs that some papers have suggested are all that's needed to reduce jitter below audible thresholds.

Still, to put together a decent streaming implementation, assuming I'm good with an existing audio-centric stack/distribution for the Pi, you're looking at~ $100-150 in parts (including a case and a decent power supply, and a few hours to get everything set up.  Factoring my time, that comes out right at the same level of investment as an Aries Mini or other, basic, commercial streamer.  So, for me, it's easier just to go with the commercial solution - and enjoy all the incremental features that come with someone else doing the work on the software side.

For fun, Bryston is currently developing BDP-π Digital Music Player.... gasp... based on Raspberry Pi and Digi+. :)
http://canadahifi.com/bryston-reveals-first-details-about-its-upcoming-bdp-π-digital-music-player/

If there ever was a ringing endorsement, I think this is it...

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #89 of 133
Apr 9, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #90 of 133
That is, indeed, a pretty encouraging reflection on the Raspberry Pi and Hifiberry Digi+!

If they add Roon support I shall have to buy one to compare with the Auralic Aries!

Maybe the winds are blowing into your direction...

IQaudIO introduce Roon Ready Raspberry Pi DAC, amplifier
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/iqaudio-introduce-roon-ready-raspberry-pi-dac-amplifier/

Not sure it's for Digi+ though. And it seems that it's for Roon to add support for Pi, not the other way around:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/raspberry-pi-support-on-roadmap/1129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back