TOTL HP Shootout 2: Abyss, HEK, HEX, HD800S, HD800 Heavy Mod, HD800 Stock - YGG/ROK Stack
Aug 2, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #121 of 133
  I'm not sure where the 'best' place to get a Mutec from would be, but I'd imagine that any place that even has one in stock might be the 'best'.
And Markertek is probably as good as B&H or Sweetwater etc. or any of the other pro audio sources.
And the USB demarcation for the Mutec is really about an updated clock that it has, that its 'younger' brother (the non usb equipped version) doesn't have.

And there are other DDC's appearing on the horizon that are vying for a top position on this ladder, but they all seem to be even more expensive, imagine that… 
atsmile.gif

Which brings up the question of where truly is the most bang for the buck in terms of these standalone clocks and reclockers and DDC's and the like.
They all seem to be taking the SQ up a step or 2+, especially in combinations…

Which just makes my head scratch as I wonder What is really, as in the big picture, going on with all of this.
It is a puzzle for sure.

Yeah I was sorta hoping that the ADAT ports were SPDIF as well, but I kinda figur'd AES would trounce it anyway.

And starting with a 'simple' AES breakout cable is a good place to start.
One of the tricks to making that cable is getting as close to an 'audio grade' DB-25 as possible.
And even using pro audio grade 110Ω cable has great results.

I just finished modding my RN3 and buttoned it back up.
And of course this re-starts the break-in clock all over again.

And Yeah I look forward to our next mini meet or what ever it turns into.
Techno-Talk always has that spark of creativity interspersed between what if, and oh wow…
atsmile.gif

JJ

"Any place that even has one in stock might be the 'best'" ... yep, totally getting that!  MarkerTek it is then ...

It'll be interesting to see where the DDC market goes.  Stuff like the Intona Isolator has proven problematic for me with various Network Audio Interfaces.  Definite benefits when it works (though still yet to exceed simple, good-quality, TOSLINK).  But then you know how I am about USB stuff in general!

I'm with you on the head-scratching.  I can see, from an engineering perspective, why putting multiple "noise filters" in series would make a cumulative difference.  It's harder to compute when we're talking about re-clocking.  That should be an absolute ... if unit "A" can re-clock to n/ppM, then having two of them in series shouldn't improve that ... but it wouldn't be the first effect I could hear but couldn't explain.

When I ordered my RedNet 3 I snagged a basic DB25/XLR snake.  I'll make up a more "serious" cable once I have everything installed and working (fingers crossed, that'll be later today).  Then I'm going to run my comparisons with the Aries, SonicorbiterSE, my Linn units (which are much more than just AoIP interfaces) and whatever else comes up.  And from there I'll start fiddling with more interesting cabling.

Any recommendations for "audio" grade DB25 connectors?  The XLR side I can cover, but the DB25 stuff I'm more used to dealing with for legacy parallel interfaces and multi-channel serial connections rather than anything approaching audio applications.

We need to set something up sooner than later ... and you need to see the new music room ...

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #122 of 133
Yeah a head scratcher for sure, I mean 'needing' to add these additional digital audio 'fixes', as being common enough regardless of the format (USB, SPDIF, AES etc) tells me there are fundamental issues that are being missed or obscured some how.

I mean why should digital audio be so susceptible to such minute influences in the first place?
And maybe this is why AES seems to perform 'better', due to it being a balanced mode of signal transmission, since it has greater common mode rejection, or sumpt'n…

And USB seems to be the worst in terms of being negatively impacted by such influences.
So hearing your ideas on 'helping' it should prove to be 'insightful'… 
atsmile.gif

And D-Sub connectors are indeed a legacy connector for sure.
And there are a TON and a half of variants to wade thru to find the 'good' ones.
The 'Audio' grade DB-25 I found after searching uses machined pins instead of rolled ones.
I'll pm you on this.

JJ

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #124 of 133
Ah the list of TotL HP's grows ever larger.
And I'd bet the newest addition is giving the rest a run for their money, so to speak.

And those focals would seem to need LOTS of settling in time.
At least if the brief listen I had was any indication at all.

TOTL Shootout 2,
just like in the movies 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #125 of 133
  Ah the list of TotL HP's grows ever larger.
And I'd bet the newest addition is giving the rest a run for their money, so to speak.

And those focals would seem to need LOTS of settling in time.
At least if the brief listen I had was any indication at all.

TOTL Shootout 2,
just like in the movies 
atsmile.gif

JJ

While it's early days (hours really ... though they're already "broken in"), transients and soundstage aside, these are all over the HD800S.  Would be VERY hard to justify keeping both.  And, bass excepted, the new-comers are making the LCD-4 look more than a little uncomfortable.

On the down-side, the Utopia are exposing flaws in my recent needle drops that were NOT apparent with my three other flagships.  I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm not actively listening for that.  Which is great for what it says about the resolution of the Utopia, but a lot less fun for what it's going to do to my wallet to "address" what I'm hearing from those drops.  This is the first time I've heard the "table" part of my turntable.  No, it's not state-of-the-art by any means (my turntable), but I always considered to be rather quiet ...

Off to try these on the little Modi Multi-Bit/Vali 2 by my bed-side ...

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #126 of 133
Can someone let me know which one they would pick if 90% of your listening are movies?  I have on order the Smyth A16 surround processor.  I am in the market for new headphones, DAC/Amp as well.  Budget $3-5k

What I think make movies somewhat different:

Soundstage: Atmos especially having near and far surround in all directions including overhead.
Dialog: Clarity of dialog is immensely important.
LFE/ Bass slam

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #127 of 133
  Can someone let me know which one they would pick if 90% of your listening are movies?  I have on order the Smyth A16 surround processor.  I am in the market for new headphones, DAC/Amp as well.  Budget $3-5k

What I think make movies somewhat different:

Soundstage: Atmos especially having near and far surround in all directions including overhead.
Dialog: Clarity of dialog is immensely important.
LFE/ Bass slam

Any insight greatly appreciated.

The answer to that would require a bit more insight to your situation. For example, is $3-5k your entire budget for dac/amp/hp or just for the hp? Second is comfort considerations - the LCD is heavy, the abyss is awkward, where the HD800 is the easiest to forget you are wearing. @Torq can also add the Utopia HP to the mix which eats your entire budget and the Spring DAC. I also find that CIEMs are great all in solutions for movies where you can take them on the go.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #128 of 133
I was thinking $3-5k total for headphones, DAC and AMP.  But I may be flexible for something that is a total WOW.  I also look at diminishing returns.. if I am only getting 5-10% better sound but spending twice the budget, I dont see that as worth it.

This is a dedicated home theater solution.  My wife sleeps in the room next to the living room home theater.  So having a headphone solution is a life saver.  I cant run a sub and headphone solution either for the same reason so having a headphone carrying solid deep bass is a bonus. (not saying that headphone/subwoofer is a good solution anyways for other sonic reasons)
I never watch movies except in this area so portability is not a concern.  The A16 will be very interesting in its ability to duplicate the best studios and theaters in the world.

I currently have a AKG 712 and a Musical Fidelity Xcan 2 amp.  So Im obviously looking for a major step up :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #129 of 133
I was thinking $3-5k total for headphones, DAC and AMP.  But I may be flexible for something that is a total WOW.  I also look at diminishing returns.. if I am only getting 5-10% better sound but spending twice the budget, I dont see that as worth it.

This is a dedicated home theater solution.  My wife sleeps in the room next to the living room home theater.  So having a headphone solution is a life saver.  I cant run a sub and headphone solution either for the same reason so having a headphone carrying solid deep bass is a bonus. (not saying that headphone/subwoofer is a good solution anyways for other sonic reasons)

I never watch movies except in this area so portability is not a concern.  The A16 will be very interesting in its ability to duplicate the best studios and theaters in the world.

I currently have a AKG 712 and a Musical Fidelity Xcan 2 amp.  So Im obviously looking for a major step up :)

You should look at Dolby Certified virtual 3d headphones, they will give you the best movie experience and cost a lot less.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #130 of 133
Ive never heard of Dolby Certified headphones?   Is there a list somewhere?

I know that Smyth uses the Stax 2170 and the Senn 800s

Q19: I see the A16 demonstration in Munich used the HD800 headphone whereas the Stax 2170 had previously been recommended for the A8. What are your recommended headphones?
A19: We judge headphones in a number of ways. How comfortable are they to wear for an extended period of time, can they faithfully reproduce virtualised loudspeakers and how cost effective they are. For example the entire range of Stax headphones are comfortable and can reproduce virtual loudspeakers with stunning accuracy. Hence we continue to use the Stax 2170 for our own internal use due to its cost effectiveness. Sennheiser HD800s on the other hand have the same performance, are almost as comfortable, but are physically more robust, don’t require an external amplifier and they go louder. Hence we have moved over to using these headphones for demonstrations. These are two headphones we use every day and can vouch for their performance and comfort.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #131 of 133
  Ive never heard of Dolby Certified headphones?   Is there a list somewhere?

I know that Smyth uses the Stax 2170 and the Senn 800s

Q19: I see the A16 demonstration in Munich used the HD800 headphone whereas the Stax 2170 had previously been recommended for the A8. What are your recommended headphones?
A19: We judge headphones in a number of ways. How comfortable are they to wear for an extended period of time, can they faithfully reproduce virtualised loudspeakers and how cost effective they are. For example the entire range of Stax headphones are comfortable and can reproduce virtual loudspeakers with stunning accuracy. Hence we continue to use the Stax 2170 for our own internal use due to its cost effectiveness. Sennheiser HD800s on the other hand have the same performance, are almost as comfortable, but are physically more robust, don’t require an external amplifier and they go louder. Hence we have moved over to using these headphones for demonstrations. These are two headphones we use every day and can vouch for their performance and comfort.

For $$/performance, the HD800 with @johnjen triple tweak holds its own against the more expensive HPs. However, it does need to triple tweaks to compete requiring a well tuned system to shine. You can see the triple tweak detailed for you in @johnjen 's thread. For simplicity, JJ has moved away from Sonarworks to his own tuning, but for us less in the know, SonarWorks turns the HD800 into a monster when done right. Don't know if that would interfer with the Smyth setup of if it can be passed through to the Smyth modified first. HD800s are floating around cheap right now so you can do your entire setup with the 800 including a nice DAC/AMP.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #132 of 133
News from Joe S ( JPS Labs)

have some very cool news!

We've managed to squeak greater transparency to the source out of the AB-1266 drivers.

In working toward creating the world's thinnest boutique headphone Diana, a new high-tech magnet was created that allowed us to further customize the magnetic field and refine the AB-1266 transducer.

Bottom line, we are now producing new drivers for the AB-1266, the update named the AB-1266 Phi, after the lower case Greek symbol φ.

Much improved transparency to the source, crazy low frequency impact and res, EDM plays at any level, scary vocals, you get the idea.

The best attributes of dynamic, planar, and electrostatic transducers, rolled into one.

More to come...

Sep 22, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #133 of 133
This is a heads-up for people on the fence about TOTL headphone systems - and with deep pockets :).

Stefan from headphoneauditions.nl, the most impressive headphone shop I have visited in my life, is hosting a private listening event from October 1st to 13rd in Amsterdam (I wish I lived there!!), where a monster collection of Dream-Fi systems is gathered together, fed by a Chord DAVE:

Sennheiser HE-1 Orpheus
Hifiman Shangri-La Sr
Warwick Acoustic Aperio
Hifiman Susvara on Air Tight ATM 300 Reference
Abyss AB1266TC Complete on XI Audio Formula S
RAAL Requisite SR1a on Riviera AIC-10
Hifiman Shangri-La Jr

Auditions are private (max 2 people per time) and are held from 9PM to midnight at the cost of 150Euro per evening. You can book your seat here:
https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/private/
auditions.png

I had my private audition in August (comparing RAAL, Abyss, Susvara and others, driven by top speaker amps) and it was worth the trip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back