Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Sep 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #121 of 318
I bought a pair of these from rawrster, got them yesterday... at first listen I was little bit disappointed... borring sound, no bass, less mids than PL50 & a treble... I tried bigger tri-flanges, but not much better. I wasn't satisfied... so I took my Kaossilator Po, made some crazy basses & infinite number od insane noises of all possible frequencies & let it roll for all night long...
After a night & half a day... they sound amazing. I don't know if I'm becoming to use to them or they are 'burned in', but I hear totally different sound. The bass is here & it's very very good to my ears (amount is not huge like for example s-Jays & that's good!), higher frequencies are at about Ety standard (I tried HF2 once... I won't say these are the same quality but not far from it at least, I like it very much). There is a bit of microphonic effect, but not much, HF2 are definitely more microphonic (the clip helps).

SoundMAGIC PL50 vs Etymotic MC5 pics

I was worried about 'sticking out', they are bigger than others Etys plus first compare with PL50 didn't stop me worried.... but I was worried for nothing! I wouldn't say they are 'sticking out' at all. Maybe it is caused by my big ears
biggrin.gif
 but I like their fit!!!

MC5 inside ear

I've tried PL50 for few times now, but MC5 are way better, way way better & I like PL50! I recommend them for everyone who wants quality sound at reasonable price!!!
Maybe this will help to someone in decision making
wink.gif

Especially these are interesting to listen to with MC5s: 

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #122 of 318
I listened to the 2 sound clips ^ with my MC5 from my desktop computer, and the MC5 does represent a decent extension in the bass, but not the full-bodied, resonating bass from the drums (4 Bit track), the way my Thinksound Rain does.

I swear the MC5 (like the RE0, IMO) sounds more like a BA driver than a dynamic driver -- both have the speed, dryness and clarity usually find in BA drivers, but both are dynamic drivers.

So between the MC5 and Rain, I have a nice combination of two different listening experiences.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #123 of 318
I got to looking around on YouTube at some other drum and bass (dnb) mixes and found this one: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QI8inHT9fs&feature=related

At :33 and every 5 seconds or so, there is a low pulse that the MC5 lets you hear, but fuller phones (e.g. Thinksound Rain) can make you feel in your gut, and later again around 2:30, same thing:  you can hear it with the MC5, but really feel it with the Rain.  The Rain isn't known as the bassiest phone out there, but it does have a slower bass decay that gives a fuller bassy sound, but short of boomy, IMO.

So I think for heavier, bassy music the MC5 gives you a more mental, clinical sound, but not a visceral, primal sound that seems right with that type of music.

But I still like the MC5 for lots of music, esp. with my Rockbox'd Fuze where I can cleanly boost the bass and the MC5 can handle it well.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #124 of 318
@aclim: I'm glad you are enjoying it better than I did. Of course I only had them for maybe 3 days and wouldn't have spent much time on them since I have other earphones as well. I didn't put that much time so maybe it did need some more burn in but it had around 30 hours or so of playing through my clip+ over a couple nights.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #125 of 318
Quote:
I got to looking around on YouTube at some other drum and bass (dnb) mixes and found this one: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QI8inHT9fs&feature=related

At :33 and every 5 seconds or so, there is a low pulse that the MC5 lets you hear, but fuller phones (e.g. Thinksound Rain) can make you feel in your gut, and later again around 2:30, same thing:  you can hear it with the MC5, but really feel it with the Rain.  The Rain isn't known as the bassiest phone out there, but it does have a slower bass decay that gives a fuller bassy sound, but short of boomy, IMO.

So I think for heavier, bassy music the MC5 gives you a more mental, clinical sound, but not a visceral, primal sound that seems right with that type of music.

But I still like the MC5 for lots of music, esp. with my Rockbox'd Fuze where I can cleanly boost the bass and the MC5 can handle it well.

I definitely agree with you... I don't know Rain ones, but would love to heard them now
wink.gif
I meant MC5s have good readable bass... not blowing one, but I love it much more than low-end (not always only low-ed) headphones'  'heavy blump blump nothing... in every track' kinda thing, but of course defined clarity bass of more expensive ones is something completely different of course. These Rain ones sound good it looks, but I'm satisfied enough (it's always good to have more different sounding phones like you wrote), I'm listening bass tricky sound genres for really long time, so even if I don't feel the bass physically.... I'm able to imagine it case of readable bass line & virtually feel it like it would be physically... if you know what I mean. The bass with HD25 is really some experience (more would be bad for me, less either), but I don't want to much bass for my IEMs for now, but it could change in the future... if you like bass tricky tracks, just let me know, maybe I know some you don't... no problem!

My point is I love them like they sound, if I would heard some blowing but quality bass heavy IEMs.. I would love them too
wink.gif

Quote:
@aclim: I'm glad you are enjoying it better than I did. Of course I only had them for maybe 3 days and wouldn't have spent much time on them since I have other earphones as well. I didn't put that much time so maybe it did need some more burn in but it had around 30 hours or so of playing through my clip+ over a couple nights.

I kinda love them yeah... I don't know if it was caused be 'burning in' or I've just used to them... but I like them, THX!

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #126 of 318
When I bought them I had the intention of not keeping them. They were more of a try and sell earphone than something I would buy and see if I would keep it or not. I like my RE-Zero enough where it has to clearly bet them for me to keep something in that same price range.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #127 of 318

Quote:

I swear the MC5 (like the RE0, IMO) sounds more like a BA driver than a dynamic driver -- both have the speed, dryness and clarity usually find in BA drivers, but both are dynamic drivers.

I had the same reaction.  I wanted an Ety but w/ a DD.  But its a DD that sounds like a BA and not enough like an ER4 for me.  So I'm not sure what to make of that.  
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #129 of 318
I think the triple flanges sound best - whichever triple flange that fits. The foams and glider tips end up cutting the high-end and making everything sound a bit trumpety.

Oddly enough though, I compared the tips that came with my MC3 to my friend who got the MC5 the other day, and found out that his large triple flanges were different from mine. While his were a pale white silicone, mine are a clear blueish silicon. It's a little strange, we both ordered from Etymotic directly and now I'm not sure if it was a production change or the MC3's actually come with different tips than the MC5's.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #131 of 318
Quote:
now, with popular music i found these Etys will let you hear everything that's in the recording.  that may not be such a good thing if you listen to a lot of poorly recorded/mastered music.  with the well-recorded CDs i really enjoyed almost everything i heard.  My only gripe was a slight reticence.  they failed to really explode with loud rock/metal the way Grados will just pulverize you.  still, balance was exemplary.  everything sounded right (except maybe a slight lack of 'air').  i just missed the sense of hairpin dynamics and SNAP! i've been spoiled by all these years (not that I miss the harsh highs...).  On not-so-explosive music they were really great, especially acoustic guitars and basslines (they just seem to melt and integrate into the rest of the music, again, without bloat).  i think what's going on here is distance, because drums don't feel so physical, bass drum, snare, high-hats, the whole kit has the right balance overall but feels a little faraway, electric guitars too.

most of my other CDs did okay to almost-unlistenable.  if the vocals had some sibilance, you could really hear it.  if the drums were too hot, same. if the recording was really close, it would feel almost uncomfortable. whatever was out of balance/artificial would really call your attention.  i noticed this most in classic rock.  a lot of those recordings were just painful!

so i guess a mixed bag in general.  Perfect for me.  I've had Grados for eons and I really needed something neutral that would let me hear the recording as it really is, especially for classical.  And they isolate a massive amount!

These were a mixed bag for me as well.  I agree with most of what was said in regard to pop music.

Pros:
The isolation is much better then any IEM's I've tried (I've never owned Etys or Shures before).  For the first time, I could even listen to ballads on a crowded bus without hearing with only a little distraction.

The sound is neutral and kind of dull but it grew on me.

Cons:
It was a painful experience comparing tips (as in having to stick them pretty far in my ear canal and then pulling them out). 

I thought the best sounding tips were the large triple flange after I finally figured out how to insert them.  However, inserting them and pulling them out of my ears was painful.

I settled on the shure soft flex as the best combination of sound and comfort.  However, they are kind of pricey if you don't already have them and have to buy a fit kit.

In regard to poorly mastered sources, OMG.  I heard very noticeable sibilance and clipping on tracks I never heard those problems before.

Because of the deeper insertion, bone conduction (both up and down) and microphonics (worn down) seem more noticeable

Need to be very careful walking with these.  I forgot to look for oncoming traffic walking accross more then a few intersections.

I love my RE-Zero's to death so they will continue to be my primary commuting and walking headphone.  The MC-5's will be my back-up and primary flying headphones.

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #132 of 318
just received them this morning.superb iem.it may well be the best universal iem i have heard along with ie8.

it doesnt sound like a dynamic iem,its more like a BA.very fast, transparent and detailed with a very tight bass and v.good reverbation.imaging is v.good and soundstage is above average while lacking a bit of depth and coherency.treble is the second best i have heard after jh13,its a bit tipped up but never the less excellent.
weight is lacking on it.it doesnt have the weight or crunch of a dynamic iem.guitars sound a bit thin on it and piano notes are a bit soft.drums sound good but it sounds a bit plastiky and weightless.

more impressions will come later when i try them with different music but the biggest complement i can say is that they are not worth $80.they are more in the $200 region
wink.gif

EDIT:cable is crap and they hiss a bit with my touch 2g.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #133 of 318
well,i have been listeing to them solely and they are wonderful.they are very neutral like my jh13.the only thing that i wish is better is soundstage depth.it could be much better.
other than that,they are a killer iem.

i contacted ACS because i want some custom tips.its hard going back to the crappy universal tips once you went for custom iems.i am now using the weird gigantic foamy tips.its doing OK for me but my right ear canal is bigger than my left so the feeling is weird and the fit is not great.
i hope ACS reply soon to me because i know they only ship to europe(is that right?).if so,is there any other company i can make custom tips from?

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #134 of 318

Only heard the HF5s but if the MC5s are similar, they are indeed very neutral and a killer iem for the price, I agree.  As for soundstage, you can improve that significantly if you have a Cowon player, using the various BBE and JetEffect settings to make the presentation far more 3 dimensional, without losing any of the wonderful clarity and detail.

Quote:
well,i have been listeing to them solely and they are wonderful.they are very neutral like my jh13.the only thing that i wish is better is soundstage depth.it could be much better.
other than that,they are a killer iem.

i contacted ACS because i want some custom tips.its hard going back to the crappy universal tips once you went for custom iems.i am now using the weird gigantic foamy tips.its doing OK for me but my right ear canal is bigger than my left so the feeling is weird and the fit is not great.
i hope ACS reply soon to me because i know they only ship to europe(is that right?).if so,is there any other company i can make custom tips from?

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #135 of 318

Quote:
Only heard the HF5s but if the MC5s are similar, they are indeed very neutral and a killer iem for the price, I agree.  As for soundstage, you can improve that significantly if you have a Cowon player, using the various BBE and JetEffect settings to make the presentation far more 3 dimensional, without losing any of the wonderful clarity and detail.

i dont like fiddleing with eq and adjust it according to what song or genres i listen to.i think my problem is with tips.they are all terrible and irritating.thats why i didnt want to go back to universals.
i must get custom tips....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back