Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Sep 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #91 of 318
Well I've enjoyed reading all these comments, got my curiosity raised a bucket load. So I've ordered them, will post comments when I get them and test them out. my wallet thanks you all...

I've owned already the Ety ER-4S, so will be interested how they compare. I'm thinking synergy with my T51 full of vinyl rips could be rather fine...

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #92 of 318
What's the point of owning the MC5 if you already have the ER4S? Although I have owned a lot of earphones I don't need in the past..

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #93 of 318
Well like a twat, I sold them recently... Fairly sure I can remember the sound signature well enough still.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #94 of 318
That's a shame. The ER4S is on my very short list of earphones to listen to. I've been in this hobby too long to have not heard them. If the ER6i is any indication of it's signature it will provide similar to the house sound that Etymotic provides.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #95 of 318
Yes I hope so, because I'm missing that sound! They were my first high end IEM's that I bought and the promise of an analytical sound got me to Etymotic-land in the first place.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #96 of 318
MC5 is 'Ety' sound but definitely not ER4S sound.  I would prepare myself to not hear the ER4S w/ the MC5.  When I had both I honestly kept wanting to put the ER4S back in frequently.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #97 of 318
Ahh, thanks for that. Would you call the ER4s sound less coloured than the mc5 maybe? I'm just guessing

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #98 of 318

Quote:
That's a shame. The ER4S is on my very short list of earphones to listen to. I've been in this hobby too long to have not heard them. If the ER6i is any indication of it's signature it will provide similar to the house sound that Etymotic provides.

as a huge fan of both the er4s and the er6i, i can say that they are nowhere near one another in terms of sound.  the er6i are my every-day IEMs, perfect for the gym, biking, motorcycling, etc.  but the er4s are headphones for critical listening and when one really wants to listen to the music.  it is, IMHO, THE best iem i've ever heard, properly amped, of course.  it's better than custom IEMs in the $500 range...i've not heard the top-tier customs to make a comparison to them.

i don't consider the er4s to be of a "house sound"...it's detailed, accurate, and can be a bit dry when mated with an analytic amp.  but it will shine with a warmer amp.  these new etys don't tempt me much...from what i've read so far they don't seem to fit with what i would look for in an everyday, multi-purpose IEM...but YMMV...

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #99 of 318
I'm wondering how the ER-4P's and HF5's compare to the MC5's actually. I'm assuming the BA driver will make them a little faster, but I'm wondering particularly about their warmth and timbre.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #100 of 318
I compare the Hf5 and the Mc5 in the product listings. Warmth for vocals definitely goes to the Mc5; I did not notice any speed difference, but the Hf5 seemed a little more extended with low tones (like in "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" -Elton John). When there is a sudden crescendo in the music (Transition from verse to chorus in "Fireflies" -Owl City), the Mc5 seemed to handle it better.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #101 of 318
now im in an interesting dilemma. Lookin to spend less than 100 dollars on a pair of IEMs. i currently have the KSC75s which are my first pair of "audiophile" cans. I am lookin to upgrade and i am currently a high school student so i tend to abuse stuff. I tend to listen to about 35 percent classical, 40 percent rock, 20 percent hip pop/rap and about 5 percent other.... what do you recommend? from what i know from here its the MC5s vs the RE0 or do i have better options?

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #102 of 318
I can't say I'm that impressed with the MC5 sound thus far compared to the RE-ZERO.  I can't get a good seal with the stock rubber tips because my ear canals are too large and while the stock foam tips fit, they dampen the highs too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for non-custom rubber tips that will fit the MC5?

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #103 of 318
Try Shure olives although the fit is tight and requires careful insertion. The other option is Shure soft silicone (grey ones).

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #104 of 318
now im in an interesting dilemma. Lookin to spend less than 100 dollars on a pair of IEMs. i currently have the KSC75s which are my first pair of "audiophile" cans. I am lookin to upgrade and i am currently a high school student so i tend to abuse stuff. I tend to listen to about 35 percent classical, 40 percent rock, 20 percent hip pop/rap and about 5 percent other.... what do you recommend? from what i know from here its the MC5s vs the RE0 or do i have better options? and whats this bout a RE-ZERO!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back