Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 318
Oh man these sound good. Guess I'll just wait until people start selling them off and I'll pick one up used. 
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #47 of 318
I guess this is all my ears can handle. Time to play them thru my clip+ for the next couple days before putting them on again. I tried some M9 biflanges and then the Monster gel and foam tips which usually give it a bit of warmth and these have too little bass for me so far. These need to have some kind of change with burn in or they will be in the FS in a week or two.

edit: I did try my sensorcom tips before putting them to burn in duty and they do sound better than the other tips I used. It seems like I can change the sound a bit with tip choice.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #48 of 318
So I tried them this morning and they did sound better after some playing time over the night. I'll continue to burn these in for most of this week however. The sensorcom tips seem to work the best right now. I'll try my Monster triple flange tips, sony hybrids and some other tips when I get home today.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #49 of 318
Cool Rawrster, I do want to hear how the Sony hybrids sound on them. They do seem to give more bass as they burn in. I went from +5 on the Clip+ down to +2 now with the brighter sounding Kanen tips. With the big-bi-flanges I would probably go default/flat on the Clip+ now. And yes they do change with tips; even the tone and timbre changes a bit to my ears.

I also scoffed at Ety when I first saw them. The same Ety design where the angle is bad for over the ears wearing. I have no problem after using them since the cable is softer and lighter than the ER4's. I don't need a clip or over the ear with these. I am different than some people for fit depth. With the RE0 needing longer(larger) tips/ wanting a deeper fit and finding the MC5 and DDM to fit just fine.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #51 of 318
I've been using these over the ear with the clip and it's not terrible. The angle isn't the best but nothing horrible. The cable is soft and flexible which is nice since the ER6i I had a couple years ago didn't have the best cable.

Burn in has definitely helped these. Yesterday the bass was pretty lacking but it's much better now. I'll be putting these through around 150 hours or so before any serious listening. I wasn't able to listen to them without EQ yesterday but I'm able to listen to them out of my dac/amp today which is much better. My player doesn't offer EQ as it's a server so it's getting much better.

I'll definitely report some when I get home and try different tips. I'd like to know how adding 75 ohms does to these. Typically dynamics respond better than BA but the ER4 is a single driver so the crossover doesn't get affected. I've been thinking about getting an adapter and if it responds well I could possibly get one.

The price was definitely too good to pass up for me. $55 after tax for brand new sounded like a good deal for me.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #52 of 318

Quote:

I'll definitely report some when I get home and try different tips. I'd like to know how adding 75 ohms does to these. Typically dynamics respond better than BA but the ER4 is a single driver so the crossover doesn't get affected. I've been thinking about getting an adapter and if it responds well I could possibly get one.

I also think the Sensorcoms were better for these.  You have to remember also the ER4 was tuned for the extra 75ohms.  The modification Ety made was removing the resistor, not adding it.  I know you know but others may not.  Also, if the HJE900 gets too harsh and bright you might try the impedance adapter on those as well.    

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 318

Quote:
So I tried them this morning and they did sound better after some playing time over the night. I'll continue to burn these in for most of this week however. The sensorcom tips seem to work the best right now. I'll try my Monster triple flange tips, sony hybrids and some other tips when I get home today.

How are you going to get the hybrid tips on the thin nozzle? I'd be very curious as to know the secret...

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #54 of 318

Quote:
How are you going to get the hybrid tips on the thin nozzle? I'd be very curious as to know the secret...

Comply cores.  Monster also has an adapter for their Supertips pack but I'll get into that another time.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #55 of 318
Some people use comply cores but I never liked the tips much to get past one or two uses. I do have some olive cores but I use the stalks from the Shure triple flanged tips. I didn't get around trying different tips as I went to try the RE-Zero for a comparison and never took them off :p

The only down side to the sensorcom tips is that for some reason they tend to move when it's in my ears. Also I had the glider tips a while ago when Etymotic sent me one a few years ago and I still don't like it. They also make these stick out quite a bit.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #56 of 318
I think if you did a poll on Head-fi for worst IEM tips ever Gliders would get 98% of the vote w/ the other 2% people who clicked the wrong box.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #57 of 318
Well, I actually found the glider tips pretty comfortable heheh. It's just that I found they did terrible things to the sound. Compared to the tri-flanges, the glider tips are pretty much stick in your ear and go.

I'm still curious about this ACS customs offer though. I'm surprised no one has reported about going through with it and giving a report. I would expect that with custom tips the quality would get a nice little bump.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #58 of 318

Quote:
I think if you did a poll on Head-fi for worst IEM tips ever Gliders would get 98% of the vote w/ the other 2% people who clicked the wrong box.

I couldn't believe just how awful they made these phones sound, or that Ety would even offer such an abomination.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #59 of 318
So I probably have a total of 25-30 hours on them by now and they didn't change too much from last night before I went to sleep and when I woke up this morning. Typically I find around 30-50 hours the sweet spot for that. I'm not expecting any big changes from here on out.

I tried the hybrids a bit but didn't like it too much. The biggest change was a decrease sound stage compared to the triple flange. There were some small differences as well but stage was the first thing I noticed.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #60 of 318

I first bought the triple fi 10 which I loved but I couldn't deal with the closedness feeling. So I sold it. 
I bought HJE900 zirconia. I like it, but I find it to have poor to not useful isolation, as It isolates so you can't hear people around you, but for trains, metro or even bus it is useless. Despite not being as great as the triple fi 10, It does the job for me as I don't feel closed at all with them on. I do have the phiaton ps210 for complete openness.
So now for the situation when I need extreme isolation the mc5 may do the job.
I read your review of etymotic mc5, and you say isolation is great and I know etymotic is well regarded for their isolation, so I am keen about it.

At ~55 £ it is inside my budget. So my question is: How Good is isolation compared to the IEM you have had. How does its isolation compare to ER4S? I am asking so because Joker gives it 5 for isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back