TOTALDAC DAC
Aug 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #92 of 593
I never heart the D1 dual without reclocker because the D1 server is the only source I use. I don´t have NAS, only a SSD-drive into the server (seperately powered from 5V battery - I ordered a Uptone Regen to clean up the USB data).
I don´t like the fact that you have to use different apps as MPad and Ipeng for different sources coming from NAS, SSD or Tidal/Qobuz. MPad is really basic and it has some bugs. Hoping for a better app in the future. There are other servers with better ease of use for sure, but everything sounds really nice from the D1 server.
I also have a D1 Dual and Server I use the Totaldac USB Did the Regen improve anything ?

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #94 of 593
I also have a D1 Dual and Server I use the Totaldac USB Did the Regen improve anything ?

Yes, I think the Regen improved the sound, especially the bass. Things sound a little more organic now.Not night and day with the Regen but I liked the difference because my HD800 sound much more like a LCD-X now (plus fantastic soundstage, air and detail). 

I had to buy a NAS because the new firmware for the server with the new Cubox quad-core could not read my SSD. So the Regen is now between the server and the DAC (first Totaldac USB-cable and after that the Regen). 

But most important of all was the new Cubox which Vincent shipped to me and which I installed. I had never thought that it should sound so much better. I am just waiting for the Ipeng-firmware (with Tidal). Then I am a happy man.
P.S. I have still a SBooster and a LPS for the Regen yet to come.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #96 of 593
... I am just waiting for the Ipeng-firmware (with Tidal)....

I really wish Vincent had developped his own iPad software so that we could have a user interface as robust and user-friendly as ARIES or Autender users..

What will this new firmware bring ? Improved usability or only better SQ?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #97 of 593
I really wish Vincent had developped his own iPad software so that we could have a user interface as robust and user-friendly as ARIES or Autender users..

What will this new firmware bring ? Improved usability or only better SQ?

He needed a new firmware for the new Cubox. The old one didn´t work with the quad-core of the new Cubox. Just now it just works with the really basic app MPad. But I hope it will work with Ipeng soon. This is a really good app.
I am convinced that it will be worth the wait. The D1 Server with the new Cubox is fantastic sounding! I wished though that Totaldac was a bigger company and could write their own app. Vincent, I hope you can read this!

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #99 of 593
Has anyone compared the HP section on the D1 Dual to other headphone amps ? Just wondering if I need drop money on a HP amp

The HP section of the D1 Dual is really good. With my LCD3-F I had hard to find a difference to my Master 9, maybe the Master 9 had little wider soundstage and was a tad more transparent, and the SE out of the Dual sounded a little cleaner - but I was not sure.
The D1 can even handle my HD800 well, but with the Sennheisers I prefer the Master 9 which helps the HD800 to come to life. The gap should be closer if you use the balanced outputs of the D1 with adapters. It is really worth to give the D1 a try before you buy a headphone amp.
Bmichels found that the SE out of the Dual with the HD800 sounded better than a Cavalli Liquid Gold! Maybe the Master 9 is better than the Liquid Gold  
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #100 of 593
The HP section of the D1 Dual is really good. With my LCD3-F I had hard to find a difference to my Master 9, maybe the Master 9 had little wider soundstage and was a tad more transparent, and the SE out of the Dual sounded a little cleaner - but I was not sure.
The D1 can even handle my HD800 well, but with the Sennheisers I prefer the Master 9 which helps the HD800 to come to life. The gap should be closer if you use the balanced outputs of the D1 with adapters. It is really worth to give the D1 a try before you buy a headphone amp.
Bmichels found that the SE out of the Dual with the HD800 sounded better than a Cavalli Liquid Gold! Maybe the Master 9 is better than the Liquid Gold  :wink:  

With using adapters to use the balanced section did you notice a big difference over SE its just a pain since I use the bal section to my mono blocks

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #102 of 593
With using adapters to use the balanced section did you notice a big difference over SE its just a pain since I use the bal section to my mono blocks

I never used the balanced out for the same reason. But there is a another well known head-fier from Germany which use it with an Abyss.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #104 of 593
Bmichels found that the SE out of the Dual with the HD800 sounded better than a Cavalli Liquid Gold! Maybe the Master 9 is better than the Liquid Gold  
wink.gif

Jup. @bmichels and I compared the Totaldac SE output with the Lau XLR output. I found the Totaldac to provide better results

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #105 of 593
Jup. @bmichels
 and I compared the Totaldac SE output with the Lau XLR output. I found the Totaldac to provide better results

I confirm this.
And, End of this year, at a friend's place, I should be able to listen to a TotalDAC D-1 monoblock headphone out ( with a special cable adaptor). Vincent confirmed that that with 1 D1-DAC per channel, it will be even more impressive and powerfull :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back