Torpedo III Build Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #181 of 322
2006? You guys are a bunch of neophytes.

As for the transformer - It would certainly not be the first noisy Edcor we've seen, but checking for DC offset is a good idea as a first step as replacing these is not trivial.

The buzzing is mechanical? That should not translate into harsh sound. Are you sure the B+ regulator is working properly?

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #182 of 322

Assuming it's the power transformer? Could *possibly* be DC offset in your mains. You may try a different outlet in your house or at work to see if that makes a difference, if it does Emotiva makes a surge strip that will fix that issue for ~$100. Could also be a bad xformer, in that case you'd have to order another one.

For the fatigue, have you tried rolling in other tubes? It's surprising that the HD650 could be fatiguing as it's such a warm sounding headphone.

I tested the mains and there is a 3-10mV noise on the mains. I tried this plugged into a CyberPower Sinewave UPS and had the same problem. The Emotiva strip is probably not a bad idea either.

I've rolled some tubes and I haven't heard a difference. I figured it was due to power issues...

As discussed offline, I'm a bit worried that something else is going on.

That said, if you can return the PT to me, I will send it to Edcor for analysis. Meanwhile, I can send you a new one right away if that sounds like a good solution to you.

By offline do you mean another discussion on another site? I seem to be missing the discussion, which is why I posted here.

Thanks tomb, I figured it's probably something dumb I did, a replacement seems to be a good way to start. Unless someone in the Bay Area wants to diagnose it first? 

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #183 of 322

Assuming it's the power transformer? Could *possibly* be DC offset in your mains. You may try a different outlet in your house or at work to see if that makes a difference, if it does Emotiva makes a surge strip that will fix that issue for ~$100. Could also be a bad xformer, in that case you'd have to order another one.

For the fatigue, have you tried rolling in other tubes? It's surprising that the HD650 could be fatiguing as it's such a warm sounding headphone.

I tested the mains and there is a 3-10mV noise on the mains. I tried this plugged into a CyberPower Sinewave UPS and had the same problem. The Emotiva strip is probably not a bad idea either.

I've rolled some tubes and I haven't heard a difference. I figured it was due to power issues...

As discussed offline, I'm a bit worried that something else is going on.

That said, if you can return the PT to me, I will send it to Edcor for analysis. Meanwhile, I can send you a new one right away if that sounds like a good solution to you.

By offline do you mean another discussion on another site? I seem to be missing the discussion, which is why I posted here.

Thanks tomb, I figured it's probably something dumb I did, a replacement seems to be a good way to start. Unless someone in the Bay Area wants to diagnose it first? 

Well, shoot.  I thought you were the guy who's been corresponding with me through e-mail already.  If you're not, then that means we have two suspect PT's in the mix.  DANG!  I see what Doug's said, but I thought we only really had one that way in the hundreds of PT's we've sold through the Torpedo I and now, the Torpedo III.  Really, the only time I replaced a PT was when a guy built and shipped one overseas without half the mounting screws attached on the IEC inlet.  When the overseas customer plugged it in, he promptly burned up the PT.  The only other time I can remember was in the Torpedo I prototypes and it was Fitz, if you remember him, and I can't remember what he did - but we never went through a replacement.

If you're not that guy who's e-mailed me, then I guess I should've remembered what "ass-u-me" really means.

It also means I need to have quite a conversation with Edcor if this is really the situation.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #184 of 322

Well, shoot.  I thought you were the guy who's been corresponding with me through e-mail already.  If you're not, then that means we have two suspect PT's in the mix.  DANG!  I see what Doug's said, but I thought we only really had one that way in the hundreds of PT's we've sold through the Torpedo I and now, the Torpedo III.

If you're not that guy who's e-mailed me, then I guess I should've remembered what "ass-u-me" really means.

It also means I need to have quite a conversation with Edcor if this is really the situation.

I do the same thing when I deal with two similar bugs at work :) 

I read that for the CyberPower Sinewave to filter your power, you actually have to unplug it from the wall. I'm going give that a shot tonight and see if I'm having a problem with my mains as well.

I'd be happy to send this your way though.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #185 of 322
2006? You guys are a bunch of neophytes.

Yeah, that's true, but at least I remember when you were just "drs" and had no avatar.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #186 of 322

Well, shoot.  I thought you were the guy who's been corresponding with me through e-mail already.  If you're not, then that means we have two suspect PT's in the mix.  DANG!  I see what Doug's said, but I thought we only really had one that way in the hundreds of PT's we've sold through the Torpedo I and now, the Torpedo III.*

I do the same thing when I deal with two similar bugs at work :) 

I read that for the CyberPower Sinewave to filter your power, you actually have to unplug it from the wall. I'm going give that a shot tonight and see if I'm having a problem with my mains as well.

I'd be happy to send this your way though.

Yeah, I edited the above post after you replied.  I can remember two instances of PT issues - 1) A guy built and sold a Torpedo I to an overseas customer.  He had such shoddy workmanship that he left out half of the mounting screws on the IEC inlet.  When it arrived overseas after a tumble in shipping, the overseas customer plugged it in and promptly burned up the PT.  2) During the first set of prototype builds for the Torpedo 1, "Fitz" had a buzzing PT.  I can't remember what he finally did, but he never asked me to replace the PT.

Anyway - yes, I will ship you a new PT if you feel that's the issue.  I only ask that I get the original PT back so that I can hit Edcor over the head with it. (speaking figuratively, of course).
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #187 of 322
  Bear with me as it's been a while, but I figured out what was wrong with my T3: I have a transformer buzz that shows up after an hour. Is it best to just order a new one to replace it? Did I likely torch the thing? 

The amp has been a bit fatiguing on my HD650s in the lower highs. I'm betting it's related to my transformer problem though as no one else has had that problem. But if I'm fixing/replacing parts and there's something that'd likely be the cause of that, I'd love any ideas people have :)

I've been using my HD800 on my T3. After some good burn in with the stock tubes (yes, the EH tubes) the sound has smoothed out quite a bit for me, so hopefully you find the same thing after you sort out your transformer problem. Keep us posted.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #189 of 322
Finished my Torpedo III last week.  This was my first soldering project, and I'm glad I decided to go this route.  The amp is wonderful.  I'm not going to bother going into how it sounds as I hate trying to describe to other people what I hear, but I will say this has an amazingly black background.  No noise even with low impedance / high sensitivity iems plugged in (at usable listening levels).  I haven't gotten to trying out those tubes you sent with mine yet Tom, as I wanted to give myself at least a couple weeks just using the EH 12ay7's first.

Seriously enjoying this though.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #191 of 322
Really curious how much room is in that case for C7-C10. I just grabbed some Obbligato 10uF/630V caps that are 55mm by 30 mm wide. As the original caps are 31mm tall, I'm really hoping there will be wiggle room in the case to fit these.

Hmm ... I hate to conclude this, but it sounds like they won't fit. There may be 50mm of headroom above the PCB, but I don't know if 55mm is going to make it. What may be worse is the width. The PCB is only 100mm wide, less when counting the case slots. It sounds like you have at least 120mm (4 x 30mm).

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #192 of 322
Hmm ... I hate to conclude this, but it sounds like they won't fit. There may be 50mm of headroom above the PCB, but I don't know if 55mm is going to make it. What may be worse is the width. The PCB is only 100mm wide, less when counting the case slots. It sounds like you have at least 120mm (4 x 30mm).

The caps are 50mm long and 30mm wide.

The documentation says there are pins for 53mm length for C7-C10, so length wise, I'm thinking there should be enough room.

For the width, that's where I'm worried a bit. I need to stagger the caps so that I get a full 20mm extra. A bit of simple math puts me at 5mm overlap per cap, so with a 30mm diameter on the caps, widest in the middle, at 15mm per cap mounted higher, considering that they're cylinder shaped, it should work out that the top of the upper caps are going to be about 45mm above the PCB. LOL, screw those guys that said you never use maths after high school. :)

I'll post photos but considering you said that there is 50mm of headroom, I think it should fit.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #193 of 322

The caps are 50mm long and 30mm wide.

The documentation says there are pins for 53mm length for C7-C10, so length wise, I'm thinking there should be enough room.

For the width, that's where I'm worried a bit. I need to stagger the caps so that I get a full 20mm extra. A bit of simple math puts me at 5mm overlap per cap, so with a 30mm diameter on the caps, widest in the middle, at 15mm per cap mounted higher, considering that they're cylinder shaped, it should work out that the top of the upper caps are going to be about 45mm above the PCB. LOL, screw those guys that said you never use maths after high school. :)

I'll post photos but considering you said that there is 50mm of headroom, I think it should fit.

Yeah, I guess I have box caps on the brain. It sounds like you will be able to stagger them.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #194 of 322
Really curious how much room is in that case for C7-C10. I just grabbed some Obbligato 10uF/630V caps that are 55mm by 30 mm wide.

Do those have metal bodies?

Hmm ... I hate to conclude this, but it sounds like they won't fit. There may be 50mm of headroom above the PCB.

screw those guys that said you never use maths after high school. :)

Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back