Torpedo III Build Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #166 of 322
  Tomb,

Will you be able to try the Cinemags in the Torpedo II with Telefunken E90CC's and compare to the Torpedo III? Wandering how close the II would then be to the III. Could mean some sales of the Cinemags to those of us with the II who can't afford to upgrade to the III.

Yes, I will plan on doing that, but the Cinemags are in short supply right now.  So, it may be a little while.

That said, I would note that the Torpedo III with Edcors is noticeably superior to the Torpedo I, so you could at least use that as a comparison for now.  Again, Beezar has always tried to have prices proportional with performance.  So, you could price check the two amps and their various options.

I guess the real question is where a Torpedo I with Cinemags would fall compared to a Torpedo III with Edcors.  That might be a battle, perhaps.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #167 of 322
Several people had asked about "built" Torpedo III's being available.  I'm almost finished constructing four new Torpedo III's.  I'll put these and a couple of others on sale in the next few days.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #169 of 322
Hey, they all have the pot ground. Nice. 
rolleyes.gif
  What are the red and black cap's? 

Actually, the red ones look like Wima's.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #170 of 322
Hey, they all have the pot ground. Nice. :rolleyes:   What are the red and black cap's? 

Actually, the red ones look like Wima's.

Yep. The red ones are Wima MKP4's. The black ones are Vishay-Roederstein MKP's. I'm testing them while building these. If they're not as good as the Epcos, they'll be swapped out. If they're the same or better - they'll be left in and you all will then know there are some great parafeed cap options.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #173 of 322
After building these four, I've discovered that some of the kit parts differ slightly from the parts used in the prototype.  The prototype was the basis of the construction sequence page on the web site.  So, I've modified that sequence page to match the parts that you will find in the kits:
http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo-III/TorpedoIII-construct1.php

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #174 of 322
Bear with me as it's been a while, but I figured out what was wrong with my T3: I have a transformer buzz that shows up after an hour. Is it best to just order a new one to replace it? Did I likely torch the thing? 

The amp has been a bit fatiguing on my HD650s in the lower highs. I'm betting it's related to my transformer problem though as no one else has had that problem. But if I'm fixing/replacing parts and there's something that'd likely be the cause of that, I'd love any ideas people have :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #175 of 322
This thread was a rude awakening that I've been neglecting the DIY forums for much too long :frowning2:

This build looks awesome! Super easy build, full PCB, custom panels, custom case, just everything nicely done!

I think I won't be able to resist and within the 15 minutes of reading through the thread before I must pull the trigger and build one myself. :)

tomb: I just realized we joined the same month and you're about 200 posts ahead. Definitely I need to up my headfi mojo and try to be as helpful as you've always been!

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #176 of 322
  Bear with me as it's been a while, but I figured out what was wrong with my T3: I have a transformer buzz that shows up after an hour. Is it best to just order a new one to replace it? Did I likely torch the thing? 

The amp has been a bit fatiguing on my HD650s in the lower highs. I'm betting it's related to my transformer problem though as no one else has had that problem. But if I'm fixing/replacing parts and there's something that'd likely be the cause of that, I'd love any ideas people have :)

Assuming it's the power transformer? Could *possibly* be DC offset in your mains. You may try a different outlet in your house or at work to see if that makes a difference, if it does Emotiva makes a surge strip that will fix that issue for ~$100. Could also be a bad xformer, in that case you'd have to order another one.

For the fatigue, have you tried rolling in other tubes? It's surprising that the HD650 could be fatiguing as it's such a warm sounding headphone.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #178 of 322

As discussed offline, I'm a bit worried that something else is going on.

That said, if you can return the PT to me, I will send it to Edcor for analysis. Meanwhile, I can send you a new one right away if that sounds like a good solution to you.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #179 of 322
This thread was a rude awakening that I've been neglecting the DIY forums for much too long :frowning2:

This build looks awesome! Super easy build, full PCB, custom panels, custom case, just everything nicely done!

I think I won't be able to resist and within the 15 minutes of reading through the thread before I must pull the trigger and build one myself. :)

tomb: I just realized we joined the same month and you're about 200 posts ahead. Definitely I need to up my headfi mojo and try to be as helpful as you've always been!

I guess now we're just a couple of old-timers, right?

I thought you were in San Fran!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back