Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #1,411 of 1,546
I wasn't aware of issues with the HE 1 but heard the Sonoma had distortion issues and lacked lower frequency response.

Bass is fine, it's acceptable for being an open back. I don't expect open backs to have a subbass boost. Re:distortion, its only an issue if you listen like 90dB or over. I am well comfortable in the 70-75 range.

So that's why they called you corn! Really like your opinions on the um mest on the roundtable. You guys really preferred the mest over the odin? That's a $2ksavings we're taking about.

Personally I prefer Odin the MEST but my co-hosts think otherwise. MEST for me lacks a lot in the upper midrange response where its recession leads to a blunt image.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,412 of 1,546
I just got the MEST and have a lot of breaking in and listening to do. Very early impressions are that bass, mids, and treble are all fantastic, but if you like upper midrange “bite”, it is probably not ideal for you. The Odin and Monarch seem to have quite a lot more of it. I think the MEST is probably euphoric for treble heads, while still maintaining a very balanced and cohesive sound. It is not bright IMO though.

Nice!! tell us more about that, and how is the mest compared to your mangird tea?

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,413 of 1,546
@toranku what do you think about er2se against monarch? Monarch looks like a better er2se. Er2se with subbass and highs extension. Better imaging and obviously fit.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,414 of 1,546
Personally I prefer Odin the MEST but my co-hosts think otherwise. MEST for me lacks a lot in the upper midrange response where its recession leads to a blunt image.
That’s true, and those that like more upper midrange presence may not like the MEST as much as some other IEMs.

Nice!! tell us more about that, and how is the mest compared to your mangird tea?
I though that the Tea would be completely redundant, and in some ways it is, but the overall balance is actually quite different, as the Tea has a lot less treble presence (still good, with really good extension) in comparison with the treble masterpiece that is the MEST. The MEST has a little more sub bass, and a good amount more mid bass, though still VERY controlled, and not bleeding into the midrange at all. While in absolute terms, the Tea doesn’t have much more upper midrange, relative to the other frequencies, it is a pretty significant boost in those frequencies when compared to the MEST. Vocals, especially female vocals, are sweeter sounding on the Tea. That being said, given my sensitivities to upper midrange frequencies, after listening to the MEST for a while, if I listen to the Tea at loud volumes, the upper mids can sound a bit too strong....again, all relative to the MEST. In absolute terms, I really wouldn‘t consider the Tea harsh in the least.

I find the MEST very smooth and I can easily relax while listening to them, but there is so much amazing detail presented, that sometimes it can be a little too stimulating. The Tea has a lot less micro detail retrieval, but is so smooth and relaxing, while not sounding veiled IMO.

A38712CB-7967-4579-871E-6AAB53DB85BB.png

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,415 of 1,546
I just received a recommendation from Stars Picker regarding Oriveti OH800. Probably will go to their store anytime next month. @toranku if u ever heard of this let me know!

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,417 of 1,546
I asked in a separate thread but I'll ask here since I have seen good discussion of timbre.

Which IEMs without glaring weaknesses have the best timbre? I find BA timbre unrealistic (Andro, MD+) and my two forays into hybrids (CA Solaris and AAW) lacking in coherence + having BA timbre.

By comparison, I most enjoy the sound of the biocellulose ZMF Auteur which have great timbre, balanced and super cohesive tonality and good not great technicalities. Is there any IEM that comes close to this?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,418 of 1,546
I asked in a separate thread but I'll ask here since I have seen good discussion of timbre.

Which IEMs without glaring weaknesses have the best timbre? I find BA timbre unrealistic (Andro, MD+) and my two forays into hybrids (CA Solaris and AAW) lacking in coherence + having BA timbre.

By comparison, I most enjoy the sound of the biocellulose ZMF Auteur which have great timbre, balanced and super cohesive tonality and good not great technicalities. Is there any IEM that comes close to this?
Obviously, in this case you go for dynamic in-ears and choose which one suites your tastes the best.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,419 of 1,546

There are several excellent single DD IEMs now. What sound signature are you looking for? If wanting a highly resolving and detailed IEM, with a neutralish signature, the NF Audio NM2+ has been getting rave reviews lately. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,420 of 1,546
From what I have experienced and read, no tiny DD can cover the full frequency range well and keep things separated well. Then of course there's the isolation issue.

Maybe I have to accept the inherent limitation of IEMs? No 10 mm DD can come close to a 50 mm DD. BAs can't do timbre right. Hybrids can't be integrated flawlessly.

I have read that the Sony M9 has pretty un BA timbre, but it doesn't sound dynamic or lively enough to make anyone think its a DD.

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,421 of 1,546
There are several excellent single DD IEMs now. What sound signature are you looking for? If wanting a highly resolving and detailed IEM, with a neutralish signature, the NF Audio NM2+ has been getting rave reviews lately. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Neutral with a touch of warmth. Will be interested to hear your take on the NM2s.

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,422 of 1,546
From what I have experienced and read, no tiny DD can cover the full frequency range well and keep things separated well. Then of course there's the isolation issue.

Maybe I have to accept the inherent limitation of IEMs? No 10 mm DD can come close to a 50 mm DD. BAs can't do timbre right. Hybrids can't be integrated flawlessly.

I have read that the Sony M9 has pretty un BA timbre, but it doesn't sound dynamic or lively enough to make anyone think its a DD.

How about Sony's top signature then? the Z1R? thats 2 DD with 1 their great own BA like in M9

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #1,423 of 1,546
How about Sony's top signature then? the Z1R? thats 2 DD with 1 their great own BA like in M9
Depends on individual ears i guess. To me M9 sounds more fluid as in more coherent than its brother z1r.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #1,424 of 1,546
Depends on individual ears i guess. To me M9 sounds more fluid as in more coherent than its brother z1r.

He prioritize on DD timbre. And ugh just happen i just got my Z1R today. Today, im the most happiest person in earth lol.

I agree that m7 and m9 have great coherency. The Z1R sounded more fun, a bit different.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #1,425 of 1,546
He prioritize on DD timbre. And ugh just happen i just got my Z1R today. Today, im the most happiest person in earth lol.

I agree that m7 and m9 have great coherency. The Z1R sounded more fun, a bit different.
Z1r is more U than M9. It's quite fun signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back