Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,397 of 1,546
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #1,398 of 1,546
It's fine actually. And you know I have small ears
small ears and you wanna buy the z1r
727219805165453344.png

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #1,399 of 1,546
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,400 of 1,546
The Z1R seems to work very well for some genres but falls short in upper mids overall. For reference, I agree with Toranku's assessment of the M9: more balanced yet warm, if somewhat boring, and much better ergonomics. Still waiting on his final verdict for the new Andro...

Interesting, if there’s anywhere it falls short I’d say it’s the lower midrange as it dips at around 1kHz. The upper midrange has a nice tilt to it to my ears. M9 is indeed the safer option, though. Andro 2020 is also nice if you’re willing to sacrifice bass slam and macrodynamics! I think it diffuses better than the M9, especially with vocals. Toss-up for me between the two of ‘em.

It's fine actually. And you know I have small ears

Yeah, but you can fit Z1R comfortably somehow. Chad ears in disguise.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #1,401 of 1,546
Interesting, if there’s anywhere it falls short I’d say it’s the lower midrange as it dips at around 1kHz. The upper midrange has a nice tilt to it to my ears. M9 is indeed the safer option, though. Andro 2020 is also nice if you’re willing to sacrifice bass slam and macrodynamics! I think it diffuses better than the M9, especially with vocals. Toss-up for me between the two of ‘em.

Yeah, but you can fit Z1R comfortably somehow. Chad ears in disguise.
The thing about Banbeucmas' ears is they're pretty small and flat with kinda short canal. So in fact, Z1R doesn't fully sit on his concha (just the smaller part near the nozzle), the whole thing gets held in place by his canal - it seems.
So you can call his "blessed virgin ears".

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,402 of 1,546
The Z1R seems to work very well for some genres but falls short in upper mids overall. For reference, I agree with Toranku's assessment of the M9: more balanced yet warm, if somewhat boring, and much better ergonomics. Still waiting on his final verdict for the new Andro...

I have lost a lot of interest in audio gear since I've come to realise that I've been chasing the dragon that does not exist. These days I go to audio stores (to meet friends) and end up drinking coffee or having cake instead of actually listening to stuff. I prioritise discovering new music over listening to gear since it is much more exciting

Regardless you should not rely on my verdict or take on any product. Just my opinion.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 12, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,403 of 1,546
I have lost a lot of interest in audio gear since I've come to realise that I've been chasing the dragon that does not exist.

NOOOOooooooo... you mean there's no "end-game"? There's no ultimate IEM that rule them all? NOOOOOooooooo!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,404 of 1,546
I have lost a lot of interest in audio gear since I've come to realise that I've been chasing the dragon that does not exist. These days I go to audio stores (to meet friends) and end up drinking coffee or having cake instead of actually listening to stuff. I prioritise discovering new music over listening to gear since it is much more exciting

Regardless you should not rely on my verdict or take on any product. Just my opinion.

I'm with you, I use my Mac's speakers for most listening these days tbh. It's more curiosity than anything.

Although the dragon may actually exist in the HE 1. Worth a listen.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,405 of 1,546
I'm with you, I use my Mac's speakers for most listening these days tbh. It's more curiosity than anything.

Although the dragon may actually exist in the HE 1. Worth a listen.

HE1 and Sonoma Model One are my favourite estat headphones although they're cheating with the usage of EQ over pure hardware tuning

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,407 of 1,546
HE1 and Sonoma Model One are my favourite estat headphones although they're cheating with the usage of EQ over pure hardware tuning
So that's why they called you corn! Really like your opinions on the um mest on the roundtable. You guys really preferred the mest over the odin? That's a $2ksavings we're taking about.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,408 of 1,546
I just got the MEST and have a lot of breaking in and listening to do. Very early impressions are that bass, mids, and treble are all fantastic, but if you like upper midrange “bite”, it is probably not ideal for you. The Odin and Monarch seem to have quite a lot more of it. I think the MEST is probably euphoric for treble heads, while still maintaining a very balanced and cohesive sound. It is not bright IMO though.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,409 of 1,546
I've come to realise that I've been chasing the dragon that does not exist
Yup. Get an earphone in the configuration of drivers you prefer for their intangibles and sculpt that perfect tonality using high quality EQ.

But alas, even that is a false dragon because I end up messing with a db or two here and there on a filter here and there and can never decide what is 'perfect'.

But, and I say this with no disdain or lack of respect to purists, but I'm convinced I'm hearing better quality with use of EQ. To match my hrft better in tonality is worth the trade-off of a slight phase shift due to very small amounts of EQ.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,410 of 1,546
I personally have settled with "happiness".
Just buy and rebuy the gear that gives the least compromise.

+1 on powerful musical performances, even if it's "acceptably" recorded 😹

Users who are viewing this thread

Back