Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Mar 25, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,051 of 1,546
Really. Do you like the ER2XR sound sig over the M9's?

If it were possible I'd like the bass of the ER2XR and everything else of the M9. So just an M9 with a reduction in the midbass and warmth frequencies. Outside of just FR I'd also like sharper, faster, harder hitting and more defined transients from the M9. If not I do see M9 as a very pleasant, enjoyable and inoffensive earphone.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,052 of 1,546
Brand Overview: Campfire Audio

Well, if you're reading this, you already know them.

IO
4 May 2019
Slight v-shaped signature. Hollow and odd tone. Does have warmth to the sound but it's as if the stage has a huge hole in the middle, like how speakers are when they are not toed in. As such the more forward vocals feel unnatural, hollow and nasal. Tone is...musky sounding? Like it's a bit suffocated.

Highs have slight peaks at the lower treble. Extends somewhat smoothly with that sparkle. Sounds a little tizzy with the treble. Bass is fast and subbass is a little rolled off. Elevated midbass to upperbass/lowermids. One note bass. Even the bass has a feeling of hollowness.

Overall odd tone with forward and very noticeably hollow vocals. Average at best.

Equinox
29 March 2020
Bloated and darker than the Atlas. Wholly imbalanced in the bass response with the warmth and bass dominating everything else.

Solaris
2 July 2019
Solaris is no stranger to drama. I do think that people blew up the tonal issues. Personally I don't find the small recession in the uppermids to be too bad. It's not nasal. Female vocals do sound a little strained but I can tolerate that. I think where the true strength lies in the solaris is how is does staging. I've been noticing that upper mids recessions can help create a deeper stage (example: ie500) and I'd wager that effect in the solaris is what makes it the solaris. At times I'm quite blown away as to how it layers and separates instruments and vocals.

I find that the bass can be improved in the Solaris. While boosted, it's a bit blunt and slow. I think Solaris' tuning can use a tighter and faster bass with more slam and slap. Mids can sound a bit dry at times due to that slight uppermid dip. The treble wasn't as harsh once I figured out how to deep fit them. Treble is well extended but cymbals dont quite sound like cymbals since it lacks that sound of contact (that initial spark) between the cymbal and stick. It does have its flaws but in return, the staging capabilities of the solaris is fantastic. It's a good iem in my books. Just tough to nail down fit which I think I screwed up the first few times I tried it.

Solaris Special Edition
21 December 2019
See here for comparison against the standard Solaris

Solaris 2020
27 June 2020
The Solaris 2020 is Campfire's latest release and update of their flagship. With a smaller shell I was able to really deep fit it. Compared to the original Solaris, they've addressed a rather big deal of the suppression and strain in vocal ranges. However a degree of the strain is still present, as such it is a smidgen hollow in its tonality. Has a center midrange that is a little too boosted compared to its lower and uppermidrange, which might explain why vocals don't sound as natural as say, the Andromeda 2020. It's slightly honky but it does do a decett job with staging and separation. I do think this is a worthy upgrade to the old flagship (and its SE variant), but there still exists a gap in its tonality that needs addressing.

Andromeda Special Edition: Gold
25 August 2019
V-shaped, less hazy than OG andro. A more natural tone, better dynamics, bigger bass with a much much more forward, aggressive treble response. Notes are well textured and high resolution, but lower mids sound considerably recessed. There's a vocal bump in there (1.5-2k) as well which makes the tone of the mids a bit odd to listen to. Bass does bleed into the mids but for me it's a non-issue. Vocals are always slightly behind. Treble is quite an intense listen for myself. In tracks with lots of cymbals, they sound really forward along with the bass. If you already find Andro green treble to be intense, skip these. Compared to Andro green, there is less lower mids and more upper mids. Doesnt exactly have the same "sparkly" treble as green andro (as people like to describe) but what it has is more laser sharp, forward treble response.

Separation and layering is very good but spatial cues are not as good as the original Andros. I do think the original andros are more spacious sounding. The original andros sound much more laidback. Tone is a bit off putting due to the lower mid recession coupled with a small vocal boost. Tone isn't so off to the point of say, Campfire Io. If not, the quality of the notes are high resolution with good texture.

Andromeda 2020
27 June 2020
Wow, Campfire made strides to its tonality from the Andromeda pre-2020. Midrange is no longer as hazy and they've also fattened the mid-treble peak. Tonally this sounds warm with tamed uppermidrange and treble. With a low OI source it sounds boxy with the midrange since there's a lowermid hump. This can be alleviated with a higher OI source. I guess there is no more "je ne sais quoi" with the "treble sparkle" that people keep talking about. That treble sparkle pre-2020 is really just a treble peak that sounds very much unnatural to my ears. Sounds like cymbals have a clink clank tonality. It's fixed now, but thats not to say they've completely watered down and killed the treble. In fact they've improved the upper treble response (>10khz) and I do hear a rather nice and even treble filled with great texturing of cymbals.

This one is definitely some of my favourite warm sounding iems. Very much enjoyable and I've to say, this is my favourite Campfire.

Solstice
29 March 2020
Like an Andromeda but now even warmer and more bloated upperbass with a low OI source. Less grain and more "lush" tone and timbre. A deeper fit allows for a less intense treble response if you are sensitive to it. Compared this to the standard Andromeda and it sounded inferior with worse resolution capabilities.

Ara
27 June 2020
I do not like its tonality at all. Honky and nasal with the midrange. Singers all sound like they've a flu. Naturally, midrange instruments also don't sound accurate in its tone at all. The presentation is still "balanced" except for the odd midrange. On a technical level this performs very much decent as well.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 28, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,053 of 1,546
Brand Overview: Fearless Audio

S8Z
20 Jan 2020
Has less bass/warmth than S8F which is surprising given that they implemented the new LPF for the bass woofers. ACME was a total flop and this sounds sonically closer to the S8F and S8P. Of the three, this is the brightest set as well. If you find S8F/P to be intolerable with its brightness (which I most definitely was; I've gotten used to brighter sets by now), give this one a pass.

With the S8Z having less bass and warmth in general, I find that the sound is less muddied and features harder bass transients. Midrange tonality is surprisingly fine for being a v-shape. I'd still like less treble since I find the treble response to be uneven (too much midtreble) and has cymbals that focus more on the brilliance aspect than shimmer.

On a technical level the S8Z is superior to the S8F/P as well with sligtly stronger separation. Great effort from Fearless; I enjoy this set.

Fearless x Crinacle "Dawn"
28 Jan 2020
I'd describe the Dawn as neutral with a clean subbass boost. Very slightly warm tonality for that sense of naturalness. Overall really solid tuning that I identify with. Subbass reaches down low albeit can use even more definition. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic at this point. Midbass carries a good punch without bloat. Upperbass bloat isn't present. For low volume listeners like me, this makes total sense in terms of tuning. I get bass without turning it up. Midrange is just as well tuned as the bass - it does have have a small hump at 1-3khz that benefits it by allowing for clear, more forward vocal voicing. I don't find it thin. YMMV.

Treble region does carry some peaks from 3-10khz. Occasionally in some songs the treble does jump out suddenly. But I don't think it's a problem. Could use more upper end air but due to the sufficient overall lower and middle treble, it isn't a big concern; but certainly something that can be improved upon. The EST actually does nothing here. It has very close to no output next to its very much more sensitive woofers and tweeters. On a technical level the Dawn does perform good. Spaced out instrument separation though the presentation is more "diffuse" where the sound is closer and larger than I would like, especially with bass transients at times. Its a little unfocused sounding. Transient response wise, I do just wish this impacts a bit harder. If not it's dynamics are quite well in line with majority of IEMs out there. I don't think I've heard the IEM that has the dynamics of a speaker yet.

By FR the 300-1000hz range is kept "flat" and free of bloat. I do think it's a key point with the sound design of the IEM. As noted by my own preference curve, I enjoy IEMs flat in that region. This is one of those IEMs that are a solid all rounder. I've thrown all my genres at it and it works with everything. Great effort from both Fearless and Crinacle here. I had doubts with the bass boost (as seen on graph) but in reality it was not boomy nor overwhelming for me. It's at a satisfying level.

Timbre is on the smooth side of things. Got accustomed to the treble peaks quickly. In an ideal world I would ask for even more resolution with even lesser transient smearing (which it already performs well in) but I guess I'm being too unrealistic. Can be even detailed if this had further treble extension. Lacks a bit of the "zing" from cymbals sometimes.

Definitely one of my favorite multi-BA sets. Earns itself a spot in my personal favorites.

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,055 of 1,546
Personal Favourites

I've been asked quite a number of times as to what I liked best. Thought I'd throw down some IEMs that I enjoy a fair bit. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and this list can and will change over time. Some of the factors that help evaluate are "timbre", "tonal balance", "transient response/clarity" and "technicalities". The order is not a ranking.

Sony IER-M9: Warm Neutral
For me, the IER-M9 proves itself to be the king of imaging. The M9's strongest asset is how it handles spatial cues - it's able to correctly portray a sense of a "3D" soundstage where I can accurately tell and gauge the distance between instruments. In addition, the M9 has a great deal of balance in its frequency response. I don't feel that any set of frequencies overwhelm each other. The music sounds very balanced and I hear everything. It also has great extension on both ends - providing deep subbass rumble and very well extended highs. Notes are always well separated from each other and the M9 simply refuses to congest no matter what tracks are thrown at it.

The biggest weakness of the M9 would be its slight lack of dynamics. I wouldn't go as far as to say it sounds dead or like a wall of sound. I think it's just that the lower treble is very much tamed which leads it to sound more relaxed. Personally its never sharp, harsh or sibilant. I would even go as far as to say that the M9's transients are a tad blunted, especially with its woofers.

A problem I find with the M9's woofer is that it sounds "slow" next to a typical BA bass setup. The woofer does not sound traditionally BA and instead has a more bodied decay. However the attack is a bit flabby/bloomy which makes the woofer sound a bit lazy and slow sounding. Outside of that, the M9 naturally lands in my list as the strongest contender with spatial cues and soundstage.

PEARS SH3: Uppermid-Forward Neutral
Check my review. In short, pretty technical IEM that places lead instruments and vocals forward with good treble extension and coherence. Plenty midrange detail but lacks in bass resolve, particularly subbass extension. Excellent vocals with a beautiful midrange tonality.

Etymotic ER2 Series
When the brand "Etymotic" is mentioned, some would associate the brand with terms such as "clinical" and "sterile". I personally think this holds true for the ER3 and ER4 series. The tuning on the 3 and 4 lacks warmth and exhibit what I refer to as "BA timbre". I find that BA lacks that natural body and decay of DDs and instead can sound grainier and leaner. However when it comes to the ER2, I think that Etymotic has done a great job to change this preconception. The DDs used in the ER2 have a very smooth and pleasing response, as if it was rid of any peaks. The ER2 has a much more natural timbre (and tone) to my ears with its elevated bass response and depth in the sound.

I've had chats and discussions with some audio friends of mine regarding what defines resolution. Some claim that ER4 still offers better "resolution" over the smoother ER2. Some say that the grain in the ER3/4 is texture and is what defines resolution. Yada yada. For me, the ER2 is able to reproduce transients as clean, if not cleaner than the ER4. It does so in a smooth, very natural way. Take for example, the resonance in the low keys of the piano. The ER2 presents those lines/resonances in a bodied expression whereas ER4 has greater emphasis on the initial attack. Which type of presentation is better is up to the individual to decide. I think resolution is quite an all-encompassing term. It's a mixture of factors such as transient response and timbre imo.

If not, the ER2 is not as bright in the 8-10k region which makes it a more relaxing and laid back listen. Makes the ER4 sound a bit peaky, heh. I do also feel that ER2 extends much better in the mid to upper treble region where it does cymbal decay very nicely. I do think that if the ER2 had more brightness in the 8-10k region like the ER4, it would be a very very good curve.

Last point about the ER2 is that the driver packs some serious speed. It doesn't sound congested despite the typical "etymotic soundstage". Everything layers properly as it should. I think it's the fastest DD I've heard to date in an IEM. Overall, just a very good IEM. XR or SE...I think I would suggest most to spring for SE as XR can be a bit too dark sounding with its bass boost. SE has better overall balance but XR's clean subbass lift helps the bass to roar.

I do think it can be a bit ridiculous to put the ER2 next to all the top dogs - but hey this is just a list of personal favourites. The ER2 excels in the areas it is supposed to. Which is why I like it.

Hidition NT6: Neutral-Bright
The closest to a speaker tone that I've heard so far. Timbre has a ways to go with a slightly boxy sounding bass and perhaps sterile vocals (lacking in warmth) but in terms of how it places instruments on the stage is exactly how I want it. No instrument sounds emphasized or behind with its tonal balance. Perhaps I could use more forward voicing and warmth but that may be addressed in a CIEM. Decent detail with its treble response, capturing the shimmer with cymbals well. Not a technical monster but I appreciate its tuning.

qdc 8SL/Gemini: V-Shaped
The reason why I didn't include the Anole VX is because the VX has a further lift in the lower-mid treble region which makes it a bit harsh and aggressive to listen to in an extended period of time. 8SL/Gemini strikes a better balance in the FR for me. Both of them offer a great soundstage, fantastic level of separation/layering, cleanly reproduced transients free of smearing and great extension on both ends. The 8SH has a further lift in the 1-2k region but I find that this lift made vocals a bit too shrill and unnatural sounding since 8SH's vocals are not as warm too. If not, the 8SL/Gemini sports decent bass - has the speed and attack to make it an engaging listen.

However in certain tracks, the bass of the 8SL/Gemini can sound a tad hollow and "BA-like". If not I feel that the both are very well tuned with solid technicalities and decent enough tonal balance.

Shure KSE1200/1500: Bright
A friend once shared an analogy with me - "hearing the KSE is like putting on your glasses in the morning". I think this holds true. The KSE is a detail monster - it sounds like 4K resolution where you're coming from 1080p. It's just so damn clear (PLEASE USE FOAM TIPS btw). It captures every resonance, every naunce in the track. It's cliche to say, but I do hear things I've never heard before with the KSE. The resolution and detail it provides is simply outstanding and sits at the very top in that category. Add that with it's crazy speed and it also never congests. Just so damn fast. It does have a small-ish soundstage but it won't matter because the music is flashing past by in HD.

The KSE's weakness would be it's tonal balance. Has this peak at 2k which makes vocals sound a bit unnatural. It does put electric guitars forward in the mix though. Other than that, I find the bass well extended (if it isn't well extended then the fit is definitely a bit off) and has a lift to provide some warmth. Treble has that great sizzling decay with immense speed and clarity.

Fearless x Crinacle "Dawn": Subbass Boosted Neutral
Very slightly warm tonality for that sense of naturalness. Overall really solid tuning that I identify with. Subbass reaches down low albeit can use even more definition. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic at this point. Midbass carries a good punch without bloat. Upperbass bloat isn't present. For low volume listeners like me, this makes total sense in terms of tuning. I get bass without turning it up. Midrange is just as well tuned as the bass - it does have have a small hump at 1-3khz that benefits it by allowing for clear, more forward vocal voicing. I don't find it thin. YMMV.

Treble region does carry some peaks from 3-10khz. Occasionally in some songs the treble does jump out suddenly. But I don't think it's a problem. Could use more upper end air but due to the sufficient overall lower and middle treble, it isn't a big concern; but certainly something that can be improved upon. The EST actually does nothing here. It has very close to no output next to its very much more sensitive woofers and tweeters. On a technical level the Dawn does perform good. Spaced out instrument separation though the presentation is more "diffuse" where the sound is closer and larger than I would like, especially with bass transients at times. Its a little unfocused sounding. Transient response wise, I do just wish this impacts a bit harder. If not it's dynamics are quite well in line with majority of IEMs out there. I don't think I've heard the IEM that has the dynamics of a speaker yet.

By FR the 300-1000hz range is kept "flat" and free of bloat. I do think it's a key point with the sound design of the IEM. As noted by my own preference curve, I enjoy IEMs flat in that region. This is one of those IEMs that are a solid all rounder. I've thrown all my genres at it and it works with everything. Great effort from both Fearless and Crinacle here. I had doubts with the bass boost (as seen on graph) but in reality it was not boomy nor overwhelming for me. It's at a satisfying level.

Timbre is on the smooth side of things. Got accustomed to the treble peaks quickly. In an ideal world I would ask for even more resolution with even lesser transient smearing (which it already performs well in) but I guess I'm being too unrealistic. Can be even detailed if this had further treble extension. Lacks a bit of the "zing" from cymbals sometimes.

changelog:
22 Dec 19: Replaced PP8 with NT6.
29 Mar 20: Added Dawn.
I disagree on QDC ranking. I own Gemini and Anole and found Anole much better than Gemini. As Gemini is dry, clen and boring, as Anole is funny, complete and natural. You need a deep fitting to reduce the harshness and aggressiveness you report. Nevertheless, I like your comment and your opinion despite a little bit too linked to FR and less to music.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,056 of 1,546
I disagree on QDC ranking. I own Gemini and Anole and found Anole much better than Gemini. As Gemini is dry, clen and boring, as Anole is funny, complete and natural. You need a deep fitting to reduce the harshness and aggressiveness you report. Nevertheless, I like your comment and your opinion despite a little bit too linked to FR and less to music.
It's not even a ranking, just personal, subjective opinion

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #1,058 of 1,546
Hi Toranku, ive been wanting to buy a new hybrid iem. I have narrowed it down to the rai penta, qdc fusion, ikko oh10 and moondrop blessing 2. I like airy vocals that are slightly forward, bass north of neutral, big soundstage, good imaging and clarity. Slightly warm sig but not very smooth/congested so it still needs to have good upper mids/treble.

Which one will suit my needs more? Which is the better iem in your opinion?

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,059 of 1,546
I know are your subjective personal opinion, but in case of QDC your subjective personal opinion determine a sort of ranking between the various model. At least i think.

Not at all, I just have a preference for Gemini/8SL over VX. But they are all really more similar than different. I do acknowledge that VX's harshness (or all of the 3, really) can be reduced by deep insertion but it doesn't fit into my idea of an ideal treble response with a mid treble spike. All 3 of them suffer from this unnatural spike, just that 8SL and Gem has less of it.

In the overall grand scheme of things I still really enjoy the high technical ability of the three.

Hi Toranku, ive been wanting to buy a new hybrid iem. I have narrowed it down to the rai penta, qdc fusion, ikko oh10 and moondrop blessing 2. I like airy vocals that are slightly forward, bass north of neutral, big soundstage, good imaging and clarity. Slightly warm sig but not very smooth/congested so it still needs to have good upper mids/treble.

Which one will suit my needs more? Which is the better iem in your opinion?

I'd eliminate Penta and Fusion from your shortlist. I've yet to try B2 but hope to do so. OH10 kinda fits the criteria (airy vocals & bass north of neutral) but it doesn't have a big soundstage nor amazing imaging. It's just okayish-decent with the technical ability.

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,060 of 1,546
Not at all, I just have a preference for Gemini/8SL over VX. But they are all really more similar than different. I do acknowledge that VX's harshness (or all of the 3, really) can be reduced by deep insertion but it doesn't fit into my idea of an ideal treble response with a mid treble spike. All 3 of them suffer from this unnatural spike, just that 8SL and Gem has less of it.

In the overall grand scheme of things I still really enjoy the high technical ability of the three.

I'd eliminate Penta and Fusion from your shortlist. I've yet to try B2 but hope to do so. OH10 kinda fits the criteria (airy vocals & bass north of neutral) but it doesn't have a big soundstage nor amazing imaging. It's just okayish-decent with the technical ability.

Any reason why you ruled out the penta and fusion? Since they are higher tier iem's which should or i hope have better technical abilities.

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,061 of 1,546

Don't you mean, VX have terrible bass and odd tonality, with splashy treble? where are your spicy takes. :p

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #1,062 of 1,546
Bought the Etymotic ER2XR based on your description. Blind yet incredible purchase. At USD 200.- in the price segment and even in the USD 500.- class, excepting my warm & dark guilty pleasure (see below), I cannot think of something coming close and even if I haven't your mileage in terms of IEM testing, I have a tried a few. On a total different league soundwise, the Final E5000 comes to my mind when it comes to price/performance ratio (given your tastes, you surely don't like the E5000, though). Thanks for the tip, ER2XR is an addictive IEM and this OOTB

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,063 of 1,546
Any reason why you ruled out the penta and fusion? Since they are higher tier iem's which should or i hope have better technical abilities.

The Penta is pretty average in the grand scheme of hybrids, imo. Fusion has a more "unique" signature that I am not sure if it would jibe with most. Ultimately I am just some guy giving my opinion and it's on you to try them out yourself.

Don't you mean, VX have terrible bass and odd tonality, with splashy treble? where are your spicy takes. :p

Buy me a gemini-c please and we will see about that :smirk:

Bought the Etymotic ER2XR based on your description. Blind yet incredible purchase. At USD 200.- in the price segment and even in the USD 500.- class, excepting my warm & dark guilty pleasure (see below), I cannot think of something coming close and even if I haven't your mileage in terms of IEM testing, I have a tried a few. On a total different league soundwise, the Final E5000 comes to my mind when it comes to price/performance ratio (given your tastes, you surely don't like the E5000, though). Thanks for the tip, ER2XR is an addictive IEM and this OOTB

You should give the Sony IER-M9 a try if you haven't. By far my favourite warm IEM! You're spot on with my assessment of the E5000. Nowadays I have a bias towards all-rounder IEMs in which I find the E5000 too genre-specific. Too dark for my (rock-loving) tastes but it certainly works better with acoustic genres.

Last edited:

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,065 of 1,546
The Penta is pretty average in the grand scheme of hybrids, imo. Fusion has a more "unique" signature that I am not sure if it would jibe with most. Ultimately I am just some guy giving my opinion and it's on you to try them out yourself.

Buy me a gemini-c please and we will see about that :smirk:

You should give the Sony IER-M9 a try if you haven't. By far my favourite warm IEM! You're spot on with my assessment of the E5000. Nowadays I have a bias towards all-rounder IEMs in which I find the E5000 too genre-specific. Too dark for my (rock-loving) tastes but it certainly works better with acoustic genres.

I see. I do like the hybrid bass but is still ok with something like the m9...but what do think of the moondrop s8 compared to the m9 they seem to be rated very highly too? Maybe i should just get the m9 haha. But just in the long run i dont know if i would get bored of its unexciting signature...thats why im looking at other options.

So the fusion is better than the penta? But in your review you mentioned it was hazy and lacked clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back