Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #601 of 1,546
First Impressions: Fearless Roland

Very plastic-y timbre. If you have heard Shure SE846, the timbre sound similar. Has those same grainy mids with a touch of warmth. Bass doesn't feel that solid, has a certain feeling of hollowness within. Thus the bass doesn't even feel impactful and sounds aritificial. Subbass does extend but the lines can somehow end up sounding hollow.

Midrange is balanced with lower mids taking precedence over the uppermids. Uppermids, especially with female vocals lean on the thicker side of the spectrum, though I don't feel that they are suppressed sounding. The timbre of the mids can be a big turn off with the graininess that is also exhibited in the 846. Perhaps inadequate pinna comp or due to a big null/dip in the treble.

Treble is barely there. I can't hear much of it. It's very dark. Due to the tonal balance lacking treble overall, drums sound veiled and lacking of air/snap. In the event that the song is mastered to be brighter, you can hear that simblance of treble that's smoothly extended quickly downwards.

Overall plasticky, hollowed timbre with almost non existent highs. The tone and timbre is such a huge turn off. Doesn't sound dynamic and sounds like a integral part of the treble response is MIA.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #602 of 1,546

Very plastic-y timbre. If you have heard Shure SE846, the timbre sound similar. Has those same grainy mids with a touch of warmth. Bass doesn't feel that solid, has a certain feeling of hollowness within. Thus the bass doesn't even feel impactful and sounds aritificial. Subbass does extend but the lines can somehow end up sounding hollow.

Midrange is balanced with lower mids taking precedence over the uppermids. Uppermids, especially with female vocals lean on the thicker side of the spectrum, though I don't feel that they are suppressed sounding. The timbre of the mids can be a big turn off with the graininess that is also exhibited in the 846. Perhaps inadequate pinna comp or due to a big null/dip in the treble.

Treble is barely there. I can't hear much of it. It's very dark. Due to the tonal balance lacking treble overall, drums sound veiled and lacking of air/snap. In the event that the song is mastered to be brighter, you can hear that simblance of treble that's smoothly extended quickly downwards.

Overall plasticky, hollowed timbre with almost non existent highs. The tone and timbre is such a huge turn off. Doesn't sound dynamic and sounds like a integral part of the treble response is MIA.
I wondered what you might think!

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #604 of 1,546
I

I think I'll give the Roland a miss and get Sony m9

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #605 of 1,546

Tried with a different cable? One of the things picked up from the fearless thread is that the stock cable (at the moment) pretty much is rubbish (and that's the polite word).

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #606 of 1,546
Not unhappy to have chosen the S8Pro !

S8P is still my personal pick for an all rounder from Fearless. To be honest I felt that the Paladin series took some steps back more than anything.

Tried with a different cable? One of the things picked up from the fearless thread is that the stock cable (at the moment) pretty much is rubbish (and that's the polite word).

Yep, the stock cable was indeed terrible as expected. Used my own cable.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #608 of 1,546
Crazy. Such a disconnect between reviews on the Roland. Makes my head hurt.
I agree it's basically either brilliant or rubbish!

Sep 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #610 of 1,546
Right! This particular IEM is very polarizing. Also for the money, its extremely hard to just 'try' them.
I know I think I'm going to get something else instead.

Sep 15, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #611 of 1,546

I've been looking forward to your thoughts on this one. Seems like another hype train victim.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #614 of 1,546
Crazy. Such a disconnect between reviews on the Roland. Makes my head hurt.
To be frank I was going in with pretty high expectations too - people were chalking it up to be something impressive so I was thinking S8's standard. So disappointed. Had lesser treble extension than even Shure 846. Roland vaguely sounds like a speaker with a tweeter going to die out. The La Hire and Lancelot are much better balanced with more treble response, but are also plagued with heavy BA timbre in the midrange.

Well all the tribrid implements have been mediocre at best so I did have my suspicion tho.

There have been some good ones like the Elysium. But when I think of the strengths of the "estat" tweeter implemented in these tribrids, the highs of the transducers are not that any impressive over good implementations with BA tech. BA still offers more natural highs that are more cohesive imo. A lot of these tribrids either have highs that are overwhelming or lacks any real treble extension as of now.

Last edited:

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #615 of 1,546
I have a question actually. Compared to the EX800ST, I assume the Roland has much better treble extension? I am actually not fond of a lot of treble. I prefer IEMs with controlled extension and meaty mids.

Just trying to figure out where the Roland lands on the IEM landscape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back