Topping NX4
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #361 of 448
I use Poweramp with FLAC files and Tidal. I tried all Poweramp settings I can think of (SW and SoX resampler, direct volume on and off. I also tried the default music player, and same issue with all of it, so it's not the music software, but a device issue.

Anyone else had any such issues?
Give UAPP a try (trial). My guess is your phone is this issue. UAPP has lots of tweaks for USB DAC which may enable things to work better.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #362 of 448
I downloaded UAPP and tested/tweaked it extensively. Nothing solved it. Even the tier 2 folks at Huawei support have given up and admitted it must be a device issue.

I will take my phone back to the shop, as it is still under warranty, but I suspect all these models will have this issue. A word to the wise audio lover. Avoid Huawei. Fancy not being able to support a USB DAC that has native Android support, and works with other brands beautifully! Give them a miss I recommend!

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #367 of 448
thx. which do you think would be a better product? would like to spend up to 200 for a portable amp

The Chord Mojo can be found for 299 these days. A bit more, but another world from the Dragonfly.

Also, I am not affected by any channel imbalance on my NX4 with low impedance headphones (MX4, Nightowl). The volume is around 11 or noon and all good.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #371 of 448
I've had my NX4 DSD do this twice now and I'm wondering if others have had the same thing happen to them. What's happening is that I'm losing the left signal to my headphones in the middle of a song. The only way to get it to return to normal is to restart the NX4. This isn't problem with a flaky headphone jack in case you are wondering. I'm using the NX4 with a Moto G4 running UAPP.

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #372 of 448
I've been using an NX4 for a few weeks now. Mostly I've been running my HEXv2's on it, and it has been shockingly good.

The start wasn't great - it arrived just covered in mould. Yes, mould. Apparently this batch didn't have a dessicant in the boxes, and it turns out to be rather important. The box, paperwork and some extras had to be thrown away and the cables and unit itself needed a thorough wash and desinfection. I did get me a 60€ refund, having originally paid around 150€ for it.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but the NX4 really works well with the HEXv2, but not so much with a HE4XX, K712 pro, LCD-2C etc. While the other headphones were a mix of shrill, thin, grain, it's the opposite with the HEX. The HEX sounds wonderful - full, detailed, and just really lush and pleasant. It's the second best I've heard the HEX sound thus far - only Gustard's H20 beats the NX4 when it comes to the HEXv2, leaving behind my other trusted amps like KHV-111, JDS O2, atom, FiiO K5 pro. It's the opposite with all other headphones I've tested - on them the NX4 is the weakest of the bunch, by far. It's weird - but I don't really mind it. I mean it was cheap and it makes my daily driver sound awesome, so why not keep it.

I haven't noticed any serious channel balance issues with my unit - I only see some with the HEX when on high gain, very low volume. I'm talking super low volume. Usually I just run it on low gain, volume at around 12 o'clock.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #375 of 448
Today I tried connecting the NX4 to my living setup. I have there a NAD C388 Hybrid Amp and a pair of Focal Chorus 836V speakers. Streaming via Qobuz/Deezer Hifi on iPhone, connected to the NX and than connected to RCA line on the C388 the sound is great. I no longer have my Node 2 (I recently replaced it with a Powernode 2i running my bedroom setup), but I am convinced the NX4 sounds better than the Node used to sound on this setup. Astonishing value this little beast. I think it also sounds better than the DAC on the C388 although here as well I cannot A/B compare as I have no adequate source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back