Topping NX4

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by sainteb, Jul 5, 2017.
  1. sainteb
    Hi everyone. Has anyone tried the NX4? I haven't seen any threads or reviews here. There isn't much information about it elsewhere either so I guess it's pretty new.

Link
    Stats on eBay

[​IMG]

I've been considering getting it for my DT 770 80 Ohm but I don't know much about DAC/AMPs, any idea if it is likely to be a good match? I've also been considering other stuff like the FiiO Q1 and Topping NX2, any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Detectit
    I ordered one yesterday to get started as a new headfi'er.
    So not experienced enough to give a reliable review.
    Going to use it with the HD650 and Cayin N3.
    And Ampless with the Momentum.

I guess it has great value for the money when I read other posts of the brand Topping.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  3. sainteb
    Thanks for replying! Have you already tried it and how does it sound to you?

4. Detectit
    No I ordered yesterday, directly from China so I guess I have to wait a few days.

5. Detectit
    Sorry double post

6. sainteb
    No worries, I'd be interested to hear what you think once you get yours. I might order one before this but I'm still hesitant due to the lack of reviews.

7. sainteb
    I just saw that FiiO is releasing their own new portable DAC/AMP which looks pretty good, available for sale in August.

Can anyone more knowledgeable compare its stats to the Topping NX4 please? It seems like the FiiO is more suitable for headphones with a lower impedance.

8. Detectit
    I guess it would be in a different price range than Topping nx4.

Edit: it's in the same price range... Round 100 dollars.

9. Detectit
    I received the Topping NX4.

It's a well build sturdy device. With great sound. It drives the HD700 at ease and most important it's working with my android device.
    Volume knop has decent friction and feels high quality. Low and high gain and bass knobs also clicks nice.

Bass boost is a nice addition for Bitstream perfect and is on in my setup.

It has way better stereo presentation than the HTC U11. Usb-c to micro sd cable plugged in the dac input all possible cables are provided in the box.
    With the app soundabout you can choose how the audio routes. In my case USB Host for media.

As well as bands velcro and a protection pad.

Noise levels are low to none... I am very satisfied on the product. And it's multifunctional with my upcoming Cayin N3 or Smartphone.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  10. sainteb
    Thanks a lot for the review! I think I'll be getting one as well. There are no issues at all using this as both a DAC and AMP at the same time on a laptop right?

11. Sythrix
    I've got one on order from Amazon. Reviews are all good there, but there's only a few for each color.

I'm also curious what would happen if you plugged your phone into the charge port. Would the phone charge it? Would it charge the phone? Would nothing happen?

Regardless it looks like a well-built product. Hoping I can avoid the cellular noise I'm getting with my current AMP to headphone jack setup and future proofing for future phones that all appear to lack headphone jacks.

12. Jimster480
    Any idea what DAC chip this thing uses? Topping doesn't put it on the spec sheet for some reason...

13. Sythrix
    I wondered the same thing a while ago and received the following response from them:

Hello
    Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.
    We use TI's PCM5102A in NX4.
    Best Regards!
    ----------------------------------
    TOPPING service
    26th Jiaomen Road, Huangge Town, Nansha, Guangzhou, China
    Zip code: 511455

EDIT: Changed to proper quotation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  14. Jimster480
    Yep they emailed me and told me also.
    But they said there is a NX4S coming at the end of this month which will have an ES9038Q2M and that it will be more expensive but of better quality.

PlantsmanTX and niknik like this.
  15. Sythrix
    Good to know! The first one actually skipped all the time on my Nexus 6P. Maybe this will be better.