Topping NX4
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #331 of 448
I have been using it since July. I still use it. Pleasing aesthetics, good, clean sound, useful gain switch (and sometimes I even kick the bass switch in). Long battery life. No issues at all and no channel imbalance for me. I don't use IEMs. One complaint - quality of the cables provided. There are quite a few provided, but the one I was using 3.5mm to 3.5mm broke (the plastic came loose from the plug, so still usable, but annoying). So plan on buying a nice cable based on your setup. For me it was a 12 euro Fiio cable and done.

Having said this, I bought the Chord Mojo in September (took advantage of the big price decrease) and have been using more of that for my portable needs because it is obviously a better unit (and a lot more expensive). But I am surprised how close behind the NX4 is in sound quality.

My overall conclusion - for the price, the NX4 is a solid choice.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #332 of 448
@CaptainFantastic, cool, thanks for the input! What is the size like in comparison to the Mojo? The Mojo looks like a bit of a chunk...
Anybody else? Any IEMs users? Or does anybody use the USB-C to micro-USB cable?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #334 of 448
@CaptainFantastic, cool, thanks for the input! What is the size like in comparison to the Mojo? The Mojo looks like a bit of a chunk...
Anybody else? Any IEMs users? Or does anybody use the USB-C to micro-USB cable?

See this photo from 2 min ago. The Mojo is smaller but thicker. They both feel like quality, but the Mojo even more so, it's addictive to hold it. However, if I have to take something anywhere, where anything could happen, I take the NX4. It seems like it could survive a few drops and keep going. The Mojo is more of a luxury item. Also, the NX4 plugs into anything and plays. The Mojo needs this and that in some cases (for my Samsung S9 it needs an OTG cable).

20191115_201554.jpg

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #335 of 448
See this photo from 2 min ago. The Mojo is smaller but thicker. They both feel like quality, but the Mojo even more so, it's addictive to hold it. However, if I have to take something anywhere, where anything could happen, I take the NX4. It seems like it could survive a few drops and keep going. The Mojo is more of a luxury item. Also, the NX4 plugs into anything and plays. The Mojo needs this and that in some cases (for my Samsung S9 it needs an OTG cable).

Awesome to hear that the NX4 is pretty much plug and play. It's one of the reasons that I'm interested in this DAC vs. some others. Some require their own app? Screw that.
Does the included USB-C cable work with your S9? Or what is that USB cable? I have the same sort of phone (though, I think there are US and EU versions).

Also, thanks for the pic. I think I prefer long and thin to short and thick.

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #336 of 448
Awesome to hear that the NX4 is pretty much plug and play. It's one of the reasons that I'm interested in this DAC vs. some others. Some require their own app? Screw that.
Does the included USB-C cable work with your S9? Or what is that USB cable? I have the same sort of phone (though, I think there are US and EU versions).

It works, but I preferred to use the 3.5 to 3.5mm cable. As I said, it broke and then I replaced it with the Fiio. The USB C you see in the picture is a Shanling for the MoJo. Took 25 euro and a full month to arrive from China. But it is OTG so it was needed for the MoJo. For the NX4 the stock one will work just fine.

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #337 of 448
I am using the NX4 DSD with a Moto G4+ that is playing high-res music in Bit-perfect mode through UAPP from a 512gb microSD loaded in the Moto. A FIIO Micro USB to Micro USB cable connects it the DAC. I have played DSD256-Native content without issue and the NX4 DSD is driving my 32ohm Pioneer DJ HDJ-X10C cans to maximum enjoyable volume in the low gain setting, no bass boost, and the volume knob at around 12pm.

I am very happy with this DAC/AMPs performance. Sound is without any noticeable distortion/noise and the sound signature is quite neutral and this DAC delivers a detailed high resolution frequency that has me re-listening to my entire High-Res Neil Young collection.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #338 of 448
Does anyone know of any USB 3.0 to Micro USB cables that work with the NX4? The one provided is now highly sensitive and if I move the NX4 the slightest it will lose signal (the silicone pad is very good at keeping it still). I've tried no branded ones and the UE Boom one but they only work on the charge port and not on the DAC/ Red:DSD port :triportsad:. I want a higher quality cable that works with the DAC port, help!
I hope it's the cable and not the port

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #339 of 448
Does anyone know of any USB 3.0 to Micro USB cables that work with the NX4? The one provided is now highly sensitive and if I move the NX4 the slightest it will lose signal (the silicone pad is very good at keeping it still). I've tried no branded ones and the UE Boom one but they only work on the charge port and not on the DAC/ Red:DSD port :triportsad:. I want a higher quality cable that works with the DAC port, help!
I hope it's the cable and not the port
Fiio CL06, Shanling L2 are good quality ones

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #340 of 448
Fiio CL06, Shanling L2 are good quality ones

I need an actual USB connection, the one that plugs to the computer (the big usb), I alreadly have the Fiio Cl06 to plug to my phone and it's really good but that's not what I'm after.

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #343 of 448
The kind you're after, you can find in any computer store or phone accessory stores...it's the basic type-A male usb to micro usb male

Yes but Topping says that you shouldn't use other cables because it might not work, and it doesn't! I've got cables but as soon as I try any other USB to micro it doesn't produce any sound thorough the DAC! It only likes the micro to USB it came with. That's why I'm asking if there's a specific one that people know works.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #344 of 448
Yes but Topping says that you shouldn't use other cables because it might not work, and it doesn't! I've got cables but as soon as I try any other USB to micro it doesn't produce any sound thorough the DAC! It only likes the micro to USB it came with. That's why I'm asking if there's a specific one that people know works.
As far as I know, the usb cable that connects the computer to the dac is a standard though I could be wrong. Maybe it is the port that is the problem. :triportsad: What you can do is bring the original cable to the stores and choose the one that matches well the length of the micro usb coz some are longer or shorter.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #345 of 448
I've had my NX4DSD for a little over a year now and it's a really good DAC and amp for the HD650. Using the UAPP app to EQ them to the Harman target is also very good sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back