Topping NX4
Sep 27, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #316 of 448
it doesn't work with the WMC to micro cable from Fiio (L27)

I doesn't work for sure. Should be similar issue to I-devices

Sep 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #317 of 448
Would NX4 work directly from Tidal on Pixel 3a without UAPP in between?

EDIT
And what about apps that are not available in UAPP like YouTube???

It works with Google Play Music and YouTube on my 3a. It should work with every app.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #318 of 448
Hiss, Unnoticeable
sound sig, Tends to bright.
have unbalanced issued for low volume listeting...
Seems like iEMatch will solve first and last issue. How does the Solaris respond to bass switch on the NX4? Is it well implemented like xBass on iFi devices?

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #319 of 448
Seems like iEMatch will solve first and last issue. How does the Solaris respond to bass switch on the NX4? Is it well implemented like xBass on iFi devices?
4461F0CE-8C3D-42E9-B07F-452D02C8215E.jpeg

The bass boost make the bass a bit bloated for me, too much puncy... with the rumble get more detail...
with the bass boost off will be just right for me...

Using ifi ebuddy, make the soundstage a bit narrow, and yes, it solved the hiss and too bright issued...
off course solving the unbalanced Volume in Low volume

BTW, with the newest Sound signature from DX221mk2 firmware, u will get better detail in bass and also upper treble... although prob will be not my cup of tea... sad...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #320 of 448
I have successfully paired subject to Tempotec V1. Pair seems ideal.

BTW subject is very good driving low impedance sensitive IEMs such as Audbos P4.

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #322 of 448
Just want to post a mini review for anyone looking to purchase.

Love all the accessories it comes with, they are all very handy and the velcro dots are a very nice touch (although I ripped them after trying to stick magnets instead before finding out they mess electronics up :triportsad:).

This is my first portable dac/amp, before I was using the Cayin N3 (headphone jack is messed up now) and ATH-M60x/ V-moda XS as portable. I wasn't happy with the way the m60xs sounded as portable and only really shined with my Audiogd-R2R at home, which limits me to my desk. I can honestly say that the high gain along with the bass boost makes it a dream to listen to now. For me being able to have such audio quality not being stuck to a desk is amazing. It's so easy to plug and unplug from anywhere! I even dropped it along with my phone on a tile floor once and nothing happened (NX4 landed at the bottom), I was so scared before picking it up.

One of the best audio purchases I've made, I seriously feel it takes me 70% to my audiogd-R2R at home and I enjoy the music even more since I'm able to move around, be in bed, the car, at work in my desk or wherever else! Battery on dac/amp mode lasts me a full working day from 7am till 6pm (car journeys included).

I can use my phone as a player and stream music if I want to (which I don't, I use my music library for FLAC files) something that would be very pricey in a DAP and nowhere near as good sound quality at a similar price. I feel it gives a lot of power and thickness to the sound, specially with high gain, man handles most headphones and without losing clarity. Way better than the o2 amp I used to have, the bass boost makes it sound sort of like a tube amp, creamier and bigger.

Only complain is that the usb c to usb micro cable is very weak and connection gives in quickly, therefore I ordered a short Fiio cable with 90 degrees on both ends.
Hi, Have you tried the Cayin N3 as a digital transport feeding the Topping Nx4? If positive, did you find a SQ improvement over Cayin as a DAP player alone?
cheers, Jose

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #323 of 448
Just got a second hand NX4 DSD (in this forum - top seller!!). Connected it to the iPhone and it works with 2 cables - CCK + USB A to micro USB. I would love to reduce this to one cable. Can anyone point me to a cable in Amazon that works? Also the behaviour of the iphone is a bit strange. The volume coming out of the NX4 is very low until I increase it above about 90% on the iphone. Then suddenly the NX4 sort of "kicks in" and the volume becomes much higher and brighter. Any ideas? Is it cable related? I would love to replace the LG G7 that I currently use as DAP only. I'd rather carry the DAC with me and keep my music as well as the rest of my life on the iPhone :)

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #324 of 448
Just got a second hand NX4 DSD (in this forum - top seller!!). Connected it to the iPhone and it works with 2 cables - CCK + USB A to micro USB. I would love to reduce this to one cable. Can anyone point me to a cable in Amazon that works? Also the behaviour of the iphone is a bit strange. The volume coming out of the NX4 is very low until I increase it above about 90% on the iphone. Then suddenly the NX4 sort of "kicks in" and the volume becomes much higher and brighter. Any ideas? Is it cable related? I would love to replace the LG G7 that I currently use as DAP only. I'd rather carry the DAC with me and keep my music as well as the rest of my life on the iPhone :)
Keep iphone volume at 100%. Change volume on NX4 only

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #326 of 448
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #330 of 448
So, I'm thinking of asking Santa for the NX4 DSD, but I want to know how people like this DAC/amp in the long run. This thread is pretty quiet. Anybody had and use this thing for more than a year? If yes, what do and don't you like about it? If no, why don't you use/own it anymore? Or are people just quietly enjoying this thing?
Is there anything else I need to know about the NX4? Does it come with a functioning cable for Android (USB-C)? If not, any recommendations? How long are people finding that the battery lasts? I'm aware that there's channel imbalance at lower volumes, but do people think it'd work with medium impedance, high sensitivity IEMs (45Ω 115dB/mw)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back