Topping NX4
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #346 of 448
Yes but Topping says that you shouldn't use other cables because it might not work, and it doesn't! I've got cables but as soon as I try any other USB to micro it doesn't produce any sound thorough the DAC! It only likes the micro to USB it came with. That's why I'm asking if there's a specific one that people know works.

I've just tested a couple of random USB A to micro B cables and they both work using a variety of programs--Jriver, TIdal desktop app and Winamp.

An intact off-the-shelf standard USB cable should work with your NX4. I don't know why Topping says that you shouldn't use other cables. As far as I know all of these cables are standardized.

Make sure when you're connecting the cable that you've connected to the DAC output (I know obviously....), but also check your computer sound output (that it's selecting the NX4) and also check the Topping control panel that the volume is up and the Topping driver is installed properly.

Since you mention that the connection is iffy at the DAC port but not the charging port (you have to move it around a bit on the DAC port to maintain the connection) it could be some hardware issue like the NX4's DAC micro-USB port and the original Topping cable is able to get the connection at times, while the others can't get it at all.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #347 of 448
I have an OnePlus 6 and Alienware 17R4. I am looking for an portable headphone amplifier to drive my headphones when I am outta home. Does NX4's dac do better job than OP6 and 17R4? Do you think NX4 is a good choice for them or should I look for a headphone amplifier rather than DAC and amplifier?

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #348 of 448
Can anyone confirm if the regular Apple to Lightning USB camera adapter (without the second lightning port) will work with the NX4DSD hooked up to either an iPhone/iPad ?

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #350 of 448
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #351 of 448
I have an OnePlus 6 and Alienware 17R4. I am looking for an portable headphone amplifier to drive my headphones when I am outta home. Does NX4's dac do better job than OP6 and 17R4? Do you think NX4 is a good choice for them or should I look for a headphone amplifier rather than DAC and amplifier?
Nevermind, I have ordered one.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #353 of 448
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #356 of 448
I been using NX4 for almost 10 months, I been really enjoying using it with HD6xx, Blon B20 and HD800 (circumstances I'm limited to portable solutions only right now).

It is remarkable quality at its price point for a portable solution. I've had mine for about the same time, and use it on the road connected to a laptop, but also found it works well with my DAP as a transport (Xduoo X20) using one of the short connectors that come with the unit ... I find it's better than the on-board DAC/AMP of the DAP. On a more minor point, I prefer a rotary volume control rather than up/down buttons.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #357 of 448
Charente said:
It is remarkable quality at its price point for a portable solution. I've had mine for about the same time, and use it on the road connected to a laptop, but also found it works well with my DAP as a transport (Xduoo X20) using one of the short connectors that come with the unit ... I find it's better than the on-board DAC/AMP of the DAP. On a more minor point, I prefer a rotary volume control rather than up/down buttons.
Why did I forget the build quality I don't know, the aluminium case feels solid with just the right weight to makes it feel good, I also like the volume control feels like it has also just the right resistance to be easy yet stay in place and make it easy to control.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #359 of 448
I just bought an NX4 DSD from Drop. Awesome clarity and lucidity without being too bright. Depth is awesome, and the soundstage while not like a concert hall on my Oppo PM3s is still okay. This is based on playing Tidal Master on My Mac, and also compressed music files on my brother's Samsung Galaxy S9.

There is an issue, however: it seems device fussy. It makes clicks when connected to my Huawei Nove 3E (basically a P20 Lite). This is with or without external power plugged in. This has gutted me, as the Huawei Nova is my only mobile phone, with which I mostly would use it.

I use Poweramp with FLAC files and Tidal. I tried all Poweramp settings I can think of (SW and SoX resampler, direct volume on and off. I also tried the default music player, and same issue with all of it, so it's not the music software, but a device issue.

Anyone else had any such issues?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #360 of 448
Anyone else had any such issues?

No clicks with mine ... various devices connected, laptop, X20 DAP as transport and iPhone via CCK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back