Topping NX4
May 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #395 of 448
I
I have been using it since July. I still use it. Pleasing aesthetics, good, clean sound, useful gain switch (and sometimes I even kick the bass switch in). Long battery life. No issues at all and no channel imbalance for me. I don't use IEMs. One complaint - quality of the cables provided. There are quite a few provided, but the one I was using 3.5mm to 3.5mm broke (the plastic came loose from the plug, so still usable, but annoying). So plan on buying a nice cable based on your setup. For me it was a 12 euro Fiio cable and done.

Having said this, I bought the Chord Mojo in September (took advantage of the big price decrease) and have been using more of that for my portable needs because it is obviously a better unit (and a lot more expensive). But I am surprised how close behind the NX4 is in sound quality.

My overall conclusion - for the price, the NX4 is a solid choice.
I am not convinced the Chord Mojo is better. It's measured performance is just ok, certainly no better than the NX4. Maybe you think it is better because it is more expensive and hyped?

May 1, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #396 of 448
N
I just bought an NX4 DSD from Drop. Awesome clarity and lucidity without being too bright. Depth is awesome, and the soundstage while not like a concert hall on my Oppo PM3s is still okay. This is based on playing Tidal Master on My Mac, and also compressed music files on my brother's Samsung Galaxy S9.

There is an issue, however: it seems device fussy. It makes clicks when connected to my Huawei Nove 3E (basically a P20 Lite). This is with or without external power plugged in. This has gutted me, as the Huawei Nova is my only mobile phone, with which I mostly would use it.

I use Poweramp with FLAC files and Tidal. I tried all Poweramp settings I can think of (SW and SoX resampler, direct volume on and off. I also tried the default music player, and same issue with all of it, so it's not the music software, but a device issue.

Anyone else had any such issues?
No clicks, no issues with my Huawei Mate 20X and UAPP. Smooth sailing since day 1.

May 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #397 of 448
I downloaded UAPP and tested/tweaked it extensively. Nothing solved it. Even the tier 2 folks at Huawei support have given up and admitted it must be a device issue.

I will take my phone back to the shop, as it is still under warranty, but I suspect all these models will have this issue. A word to the wise audio lover. Avoid Huawei. Fancy not being able to support a USB DAC that has native Android support, and works with other brands beautifully! Give them a miss I recommend!
No problems with my Huawei phone.

May 1, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #399 of 448
May 2, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #402 of 448
I

I am not convinced the Chord Mojo is better. It's measured performance is just ok, certainly no better than the NX4. Maybe you think it is better because it is more expensive and hyped?

No, as I stated in the post, it's because I own both and the Mojo has better sound quality (obviously to my ears).

May 2, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #403 of 448
No, as I stated in the post, it's because I own both and the Mojo has better sound quality (obviously to my ears).
Yeah, it's just that the difference in performance is likely below the threshold of human perception, that's all. Fantastic ears, Captain Fantastic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back