TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #2,131 of 2,185
I don't know about your set up.

Thank you very much for an answer.

My setup is:

LG G6 QuadDAC / ASUS Xonar D1 / Opus#1 to Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition

The loudest is Opus#1. But there are some tracks I want to listen louder in multibit. So I am looking for portable amplifier w/o DAC

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #2,137 of 2,185
Already did the mod (bypass the bypass caps lol). Indeed the bass is way better than before.
And I am amazed how this little amp can drive the HD800.
Highly recommended.
Did I mention how cute it is? :D

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,138 of 2,185
When using my nx1s, I feel like there's channel imbalance favoring the left side. Its enough that I have to stop listing to music for awhile. Using 64 ohm VE Monk Plus, the volume needs to be raised at a volume too loud for my listening levels. Less than a quarter turn of the volume knob. That's where there's channel imbalance still.

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,139 of 2,185
Just want to make sure you're using it on low gain, you will get the most travel out of the volume knob that way. It's fairly common to have channel imbalance when the knob is that far down, unfortunately, mine are pretty much the same. The other solution is to turn down the volume of the source going into the amp, the NX1s on low gain is 0db gain.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2,140 of 2,185
Well speak of the Devil I just so happen to be enjoying my old NX1 today:beerchug:

Top Touched AT’s.JPG

@Mboom , sorry to hear about your NX1s. I've never had any issues with my 1s:disappointed_relieved:

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,141 of 2,185
It's just a problem with their set up, there's too much signal going into the NX1s, or it's set to high gain, so they can't use the pot further up where it's balanced in both channels. I generally expect the lowest part of a volume control to be unbalanced unless the pots are hand tested and selected individually, which I doubt Topping does for this little amp. :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,142 of 2,185
It's just a problem with their set up, there's too much signal going into the NX1s, or it's set to high gain, so they can't use the pot further up where it's balanced in both channels. I generally expect the lowest part of a volume control to be unbalanced unless the pots are hand tested and selected individually, which I doubt Topping does for this little amp. :)

I've also been chastised for using my NX1s with my C3 saying they are a bad impedance match but I love this setup and have ZERO issues with it, been in it again all morning and Peter's Humdrum off Plays Live never sounded better:rolling_eyes:

1 G 3.JPG

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2,143 of 2,185
My nx1s is sitting in the mail box,

The bass roll off is something I noticed on the charts. I didn't realize it would actually be so strong.

Anyone look into actually swapping out the caps? I see most people say "meh, just bypass it" or "The caps would probably be too large". I'd love to see some one try. Im handy with a soldering iron, but I don't know enough of the intricacies of finding the correct caps.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,144 of 2,185
My nx1s is sitting in the mail box,

The bass roll off is something I noticed on the charts. I didn't realize it would actually be so strong.

Anyone look into actually swapping out the caps? I see most people say "meh, just bypass it" or "The caps would probably be too large". I'd love to see some one try. I'm handy with a soldering iron, but I don't know enough of the intricacies of finding the correct caps.

So it's in the mailbox, does this mean you've not actually listened to it yet? Now maybe you have bat ears but for me I don't get a lot of roll off in the sub region and once again never judge an iem by someone's graphs because they can be misleading and what the graph says compared to what one hears can really vary. Just my $.02 on it but I do like you idea of a handy caps swapper giving it a try just to see:slight_smile:

Topping C3 4in1.JPG

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,145 of 2,185
So it's in the mailbox, does this mean you've not actually listened to it yet? Now maybe you have bat ears but for me I don't get a lot of roll off in the sub region and once again never judge an iem by someone's graphs because they can be misleading and what the graph says compared to what one hears can really vary. Just my $.02 on it but I do like you idea of a handy caps swapper giving it a try just to see:slight_smile:

After playing with it, it seems alright. I tend to listen to my cans at low volumes so bass gets lost anyways, which is why I was worried about roll off

2 things
25% or less volume gives a big channel imbalance, (pretty normal on lower end amps from my experience)

And I actually use low gain for my Ethers CX. Unless I turn my Bluetooth down. The bass roll off is noticable, but on very very few tracks while on high gain. A frequency sweep best I can start noticing is around 45 hertz. Realistically you will very rarely run into that day to day

One thing I sure as heck notice is how awful the DAC is on this cheap Bluetooth dongle (I have a btr1k coming)

Bbuuuuuuuuuuuuttttt I still like to tinker heh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back