TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #2,162 of 2,185
"I put the link wires in the former holes of the switch for the first two NX1s, but I just linked across the pads for the last one. The switches are hard (for me) to get out, I pried the top metal cover off of them and went to town. [the easiest thing to do is leave the pins in the holes, you could just dismantle the tops of the switches so they don't make any contacts, and leave the switch bodies on the board and jumper the other side if I remember right. You'll need a very small fine pointed wire cutter to clip the pins to get the switch bodies off] I originally thought I might just link with the switches still there, but then it could have had both positions engaged at the same time :p . The edge of the board smashes right up to the endcap so you have to be careful solder doesn't stick off the edge, and I glued clear plastic sheet (I had some really thin polycarbonate, Polyester should work fine..) in the space where the switches were to insulate it, and close the hole. Watch out the little frosted silicone pieces for the indicator leds don't fall out and get lost. I just took them out after I got the thing apart, and put them aside. Just poked them out with a pin.

This is a good mod, but it's a bit messy, the switches are awkward to get out and the board is delicate. Sound is smoother. :)

The plastic and glue has to be really thin though, as the board is designed to be held solid between the two endcaps.."

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,163 of 2,185
Here is a thing a friend here said:

"By the way, I noticed that bass switch is actually grounded on off position, so all four pins are actually connected with each other. Gain switch on the other hand is on air when on high position, but low position it connects something. It's now of course fixed to flat setting and low gain, but if I want someday switch it to high gain for some reason, all I have to do is remove the jumpers (if I looked it correctly)."

We just did both switches so they were set to 0db (low) gain, and flat no boost..

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,166 of 2,185
I think with my equipment it was 100% worth the trouble, but I can't say the same will be true for you. I have 4 NX1s's and I did the rest directly after the first. The question is though why would you ever use the boost or high gain? :)

Attachments

• NX1s switch mod.jpg
    NX1s switch mod.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #2,167 of 2,185
Hi tansand, thanks for your tutorial. I'm trying to figure out a way to do it.
In the meantime, I acquired another one, to compare the bypass-ed unit with the stock unit. The sound IS improved after the mod. After a brief comparison, a friend bought the modded one, no biggie, I can still redo it on the second unit. :ksc75smile:
115949CD-9380-4E3E-BA48-4A6EF3063480.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #2,168 of 2,185
Okay Project Switch Removal is done.
E25EB14B-8266-4D45-9041-D6C88A865F23.jpeg
At first I wanted to remove the switch altogether. Desoldering 12 pins on a double layer PCB is no fun! I managed to 4 pins cleaned up, but then I figured the risk is too big that I might ruin the pads etc. I decided to follow the above advice to remove the switch from the top side. Best advice ever. Thanks @tansand
Finally I covered the exposed holes with pieces cut from a 0.8mm guitar pick. Can’t be happier.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,169 of 2,185
Okay Project Switch Removal is done.

At first I wanted to remove the switch altogether. Desoldering 12 pins on a double layer PCB is no fun! I managed to 4 pins cleaned up, but then I figured the risk is too big that I might ruin the pads etc. I decided to follow the above advice to remove the switch from the top side. Best advice ever. Thanks @tansand
Finally I covered the exposed holes with pieces cut from a 0.8mm guitar pick. Can’t be happier.

Glad I could help, happy listening! :)

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,170 of 2,185
Sorry to revive a slumbering thread but I've just ordered an NX1s to pair with my NW-A105, KZ ZS10 Pro and WH-1000XM4's... Not needed at all but wanted, because 'reasons'... you all get it right?

I just wanted to ask, are the mods discussed in this thread still valid? Is bypassing the input caps still deemed the best route or is fitting a larger cap proven yet? I'm expecting delivery in the next couple of days and plan to bypass the capacitors and switches.

Cheers!

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,171 of 2,185
Sorry to revive a slumbering thread but I've just ordered an NX1s to pair with my NW-A105, KZ ZS10 Pro and WH-1000XM4's... Not needed at all but wanted, because 'reasons'... you all get it right?

I just wanted to ask, are the mods discussed in this thread still valid? Is bypassing the input caps still deemed the best route or is fitting a larger cap proven yet? I'm expecting delivery in the next couple of days and plan to bypass the capacitors and switches.

Cheers!

HI myromeo

where did you manage to get your NX1? Could you please post a link ? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thank you

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,172 of 2,185
Aug 14, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,175 of 2,185
Another quick question here : is there any noise/distortion if NX1 is used while charging ?
I haven’t tried. The battery in this little gem seems to last forever. (By forever I mean a solid 40 hours plus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back