TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,938 of 2,185
I just got mine. And wow, I must say, I really like it. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but this amp makes the headphone out of my ipod sound like it's anemic. Everything sounds fuller and brighter, listening to Iron Maiden's Powerslave on FLAC as I type this, and the I can feel the difference in the "body" of the music (mid range I suppose). Much better than the ZO2.3 which cost me twice as much (and which is now dead, along with Digizoid it seems as they haven't replied to any of my queries). Interesting fact, the battery drain on the iPod is lower now, which means my FXZ200 were indeed difficult to drive (volume was nearly always at 90% or so). Using a cheapo LOD cable for the time being. I've already ordered a second NX1 for my other ipod.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,939 of 2,185
I am new to this forum (was a member of headwize many moons ago but that vanished). Just joined today after receiving and testing my Topping NX1 headphone amp and all I can say is WOW!! I read this excellent thread before buying it and it was a huge help, thanks guys! Now comes my short review. I am using it with Nokia 920 mobile telephone MP3 player and I am comparing it to my Ear Max clone that I made about 10 years ago. Headphones are Sennheiser HD 600.

The best about NX1.
small size, a lot smaller than the phone.
Well made, thanks to China, price quality ratio is very good.
Easy to use and charge.
No humm or hiss.
Mid range and base are worth dying for. It gives the Ear max clone a run for money in this part of sound. Voices jump at you.

The not so good about NX1
The trebble (high frequency) is rather damped and not as sparkling as the Ear max.
Need to crank the volume quite high (in both telephone and NX1),  if not activating the "high gain" button.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,940 of 2,185
I have a few questions about the nx1.... When i am using mine i notice uneven volume on each side when listening to really low levels..... Does this happens to you guys? Another thing that happens is that when plugged to my phone, unless i put the phone on flight mode i hear noises.... Does this also hapens to you?

I also think my hi gain switch is f..... Up.... When sometimes i switch to hi gain it seems to jump between hi and lo gain.... Have to press the switch a bit against the amps housing so it remais on hi.... Kind uf like a screwed up gear effect...

Do you guys think a e11k would be a upgrade?

I am using the topping mostly on my ipad air 2 and vodafone smart ultra 6 to drive a hd598 and a 80ohm dt770.... I do no notice much difference beside added volume to be honest....

Sorry for the bother....

Cheers... :)

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,941 of 2,185
I have a few questions about the nx1.... When i am using mine i notice uneven volume on each side when listening to really low levels..... Does this happens to you guys? Another thing that happens is that when plugged to my phone, unless i put the phone on flight mode i hear noises.... Does this also hapens to you?

I also think my hi gain switch is f..... Up.... When sometimes i switch to hi gain it seems to jump between hi and lo gain.... Have to press the switch a bit against the amps housing so it remais on hi.... Kind uf like a screwed up gear effect...

Do you guys think a e11k would be a upgrade?

I am using the topping mostly on my ipad air 2 and vodafone smart ultra 6 to drive a hd598 and a 80ohm dt770.... I do no notice much difference beside added volume to be honest....

Sorry for the bother....

Cheers... :)

Channel imbalance at low volume is normal with analog volume control. One could argue that if you need such a low volume you should manage just fine without the amp but ymmw.

Yes, the NX1 is notorious for being sensitive to EMI (unfortunately).

The gain switch problem you're experiencing is not normal so it does indeed seem to be a problem with your unit.

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,942 of 2,185
Yes the Fiio E11K...... would be a good upgrade.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,944 of 2,185
I bought topping nx3

Already have nx1 and nx1a

Ok now about nx3

Nx3 is pure HiFi upgrade of nx1 and nx1a....and not nx2 amp+dac

The sound was sensational.....and no rf and emf bleeding On 4g

The best part was 128db snr which in reality gave me 122db snr...it Bs so quiet on lossless source that i was in audio nirvana.

Havi B3 pro1(Mod)used here

Pretty nicely placed...watt handling is pure and digital
Unlike nx1 and nx1a..it sounded much relaxed at the same energy bt still pretty much energy on imaging..i was able to hear little nuances pretty well

Soundstage
Following nx1 and nx1a wide sound lineage....it for the first time got pretty nice on z axis...the depth was the greatest upgrade from nx1

Clarity
Was able to get my havi shine like exotic iems

Positioning
Nearly correct....par with Jds lab o2 v2

Battery
Same as nx1..but cleaner and nice tweaks for battery added

Bass
Nice...cleaner response on low bass
Didnt like mega bass as i am not a bass head...but still clean

Humps were present

It is purely clean from 28Hz to 19.2khz

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,945 of 2,185
Guys, how much is the improvemente of a fiio e12 over a topping nx1? I have a topping that i barely use and a guy just made me a offer of 25 euros for it.... I can get a refurbished e12 for 30..... What do you guys think?

I am going to use it to power the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,946 of 2,185
Guys, how much is the improvemente of a fiio e12 over a topping nx1? I have a topping that i barely use and a guy just made me a offer of 25 euros for it.... I can get a refurbished e12 for 30..... What do you guys think?

I am going to use it to power the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Never heard E12, but for that price you can't go wrong really. Buy it, try it, if it doesn't work out sell it again.

I haven't mucked around with portable amps for a long time now. Mainly because I use low impedance IEM's and many of the DAP's released the last 2-3 years are able to drive a larger majority of headphones with less issue.

Still don't mind an amp for flavouring sound, shifting tonality etc when required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back