TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,907 of 2,185
Only short experimentation with this thing so far, but using my Modi DAC and 300 ohm Sennheisers, I was able to get satisfying volume even on Lo gain with the volume knob right at 12 o'clock.

I'm also hearing the same noise from this one that I heard from the other one but the charge may be low. Maybe a charging system defect with the first one? On the back panel the red light comes on with this one when plugged in- not with the first one. If this is 'lo bat' behavior maybe that explains it. Odd for both amps to display this issue.  Hope it disappears after charging. If anyone else has had this I would appreciate input. It's either a design defect or a 'lo-bat' artifact- hoping the latter. I guess I'll know in a few hours.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,909 of 2,185
Only short experimentation with this thing so far, but using my Modi DAC and 300 ohm Sennheisers, I was able to get satisfying volume even on Lo gain with the volume knob right at 12 o'clock.

I'm also hearing the same noise from this one that I heard from the other one but the charge may be low. Maybe a charging system defect with the first one? On the back panel the red light comes on with this one when plugged in- not with the first one. If this is 'lo bat' behavior maybe that explains it. Odd for both amps to display this issue.  Hope it disappears after charging. If anyone else has had this I would appreciate input. It's either a design defect or a 'lo-bat' artifact- hoping the latter. I guess I'll know in a few hours.

I'd put my money on the battery being low. Amps do funny things with low battery.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,913 of 2,185
Where can I get 1A from, I have looked everywhere but can't find it. Also is it big improvement over old version ?

When Amazon sent me a replacement for my NX-1, an NX1A is what I got. I suspect they are simply filling NX-1 orders with NX-1A's. Haven't directly searched for the 1A there though.

I didn't have enough time with the 1 to form a reliable impression of any differences. I guess I would say they are incremental, but increments do add up. The spec'd battery life is certainly a big difference. DjBobby said there 'far more linear behavior' on the lo gain setting but I haven't gone looking for the old one. The specs that are published by Topping look quite respectable, all the more so for the price. Subjectively, quite clean even on 24/96 digitally mastered content, and develops robust output on lo gain even into my HD650's when fed from my Schiit Modi USB DAC.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,914 of 2,185
When Amazon sent me a replacement for my NX-1, an NX1A is what I got. I suspect they are simply filling NX-1 orders with NX-1A's. Haven't directly searched for the 1A there though.

I didn't have enough time with the 1 to form a reliable impression of any differences. I guess I would say they are incremental, but increments do add up. The spec'd battery life is certainly a big difference. DjBobby said there 'far more linear behavior' on the lo gain setting but I haven't gone looking for the old one. The specs that are published by Topping look quite respectable, all the more so for the price. Subjectively, quite clean even on 24/96 digitally mastered content, and develops robust output on lo gain even into my HD650's when fed from my Schiit Modi USB DAC.

Thank you for the reply ! Guess will have to keep an eye on ebay for 1A model, i'm in UK and amazon here only seems to have original version. Main reason prefer NX1 compare to 2 is battery life .

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,917 of 2,185
I must say I'm pretty impressed with this amp, especially at the price point. Only real gripe is that the noise I heard (from the first one)was apparently sone kind of RfF sensitivity- t'll do it briefly if at point-blank range to a smartphone or computer. A little surprising considering the all-metal enclosure. Also, to really nitpick, I'd like to have seen the input jack moved to the back panel. But in general, this thing punches waaaay above its weight.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,918 of 2,185
I'm enjoying this Topping amp. I do find it changes the sound, though. It seems to make the sound stage a bit narrower but makes voices and some instruments sound more intimate.

I read earlier in this thread someone thought it increased bass and the top end a bit. I don't think it does that. I do feel more punch in the bass from a weak source but I think that's just the effect of having more power available. I don't hear more high frequencies, well, not from my cheap sources ( Xduoo X2, X3, Fiio X3ii, Ruizy X02 ).

As I said, the best thing about it for me is the way it hightens the sense of intimacy and focus. For that reason, I'm less likely to use it for Psybient music, which I listen to a lot. For that type of music I want the maximum sound stage and depth for an overall landscape sensation, which I don't think this amp does very well.

But, for vocal and acustic guitars etc, it's a champ.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,919 of 2,185

I don't find a substantive difference in sound quality between my xDuoo X3 (which is quite good FWIW) as a standalone or coupled to the NX1 amp. As an aside the X3's rated ouput is greater than that of the NX1 into 32ohms.  I do like the convenience of the NX1's analog volume control though when carrying my DAP in a shirt pocket.

EDITED to add:  This for my Trinity Technes (shown), as well as Puro IE500 and VSonic VSD3s.  When I say substantive I mean there are minor differences but not enough for me to mandate pairing the NX1 with my X3.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,920 of 2,185
  I'm enjoying this Topping amp. I do find it changes the sound, though. It seems to make the sound stage a bit narrower but makes voices and some instruments sound more intimate.

I read earlier in this thread someone thought it increased bass and the top end a bit. I don't think it does that. I do feel more punch in the bass from a weak source but I think that's just the effect of having more power available. I don't hear more high frequencies, well, not from my cheap sources ( Xduoo X2, X3, Fiio X3ii, Ruizy X02 ).

As I said, the best thing about it for me is the way it hightens the sense of intimacy and focus. For that reason, I'm less likely to use it for Psybient music, which I listen to a lot. For that type of music I want the maximum sound stage and depth for an overall landscape sensation, which I don't think this amp does very well.

But, for vocal and acustic guitars etc, it's a champ.

I found that different headphones react differently on NX1. With my old Beyers, the bass becomes drier and overdamped, making them sound brighter. With Senns, any of them, it is quite opposite, I have a feeling of increased bass, and more control. 

On another note, since you are mentioning so many sources, would be very interested to hear how do you rank all your daps in terms of soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back