TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,831 of 2,185
I think I've had the Sony's at some point but I never used those with nx1. Point is that if you need more volume nx1 is a good choice. It doesn't color the sound just makes what you hear louder. Pretty much what a decen't amp should do. If you have a budget of 40-50 euros I would recommend using it on new headphones. I don't remember how sony's sound but if those had been really good for the money I would still have those. For 40-50 euros you could get takstar pro80 which are likely to improve your listening experience more than buying an amp for you sonys.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,832 of 2,185
Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I don't need it to go louder, they go loud enough. Some people say it does improve sound but can't tell who's wrong or right.. 

Honestly, for 45 euros they sound pretty good. I just hoped I could make them better with a cheap amp. 

I will look into those headphones, thanks.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,833 of 2,185
A good amplifier is about making the music more dynamic - not simply louder. A lot of clean power makes music sound better at even low listening levels - details are easier to identify when an amplifier is not struggling to produce volume. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,834 of 2,185
True. But still doesn't change the fact that amplifiers only mission is to amplify the signal, with minimal distortions and colorations. Added dynamics are a side effect from an well done amping. It is of course important  to have headroom to spare, like you said it is not good if you have to blast the headphones with maximum volume to get desired spl. That will definately affect the dynamics and distortion levels. 

People often don't pay enough attention to dac's. To my experience most phones these days have nice dac units but still many laptops have really poor sound quality. Amping a bad source signal wil only lead to a louder bad signal. Without gear to compare it is unfortunately hard to tell if the lacking sound quality is caused by dac, bad amp or something else.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,835 of 2,185
Well I got Sony MDR V55's connected to a volume controller from my speakerset 2.1 which is connected to my motherboard that has a Realtek ALC892 if that helps? I don't got any bad signal or distortion. 

All I desire is that little bit extra detail and soundstage with a tad more feelable bass.
(I felt more bass but I changed the earpads for more comfort and it did improve sound, less muddy, but less bass.)

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,836 of 2,185
I bought it just because my Sony Xperia has limited volume because the EU limits.
At the same volume the Sony sounds better.(broken in 6 months)
Wasted the NX1 for a Teac HA-P50.
Save the money and wait for something better

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,837 of 2,185
Guys i am on th hunt for a cheap portable amp to power a pair of 250ohm dt770 pros.... Do you guys think the nx1 is a good match for this beyerdynamic headphone?

Any other suggestion between 30 and 40 euros....? I dont want to spend much because i usually only buy eficient headphones and mostly use them with portable sources.... But since i was offered a deal for this dt770 at 80 euros (mint condition and still under warranty) i have to try them out... :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,838 of 2,185
Guys i am on th hunt for a cheap portable amp to power a pair of 250ohm dt770 pros.... Do you guys think the nx1 is a good match for this beyerdynamic headphone?

Any other suggestion between 30 and 40 euros....? I dont want to spend much because i usually only buy eficient headphones and mostly use them with portable sources.... But since i was offered a deal for this dt770 at 80 euros (mint condition and still under warranty) i have to try them out...
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want a DAP, I'd suggest looking into the xDuoo X2, it's super cheap. Otherwise, in the same price range, you've got the Topping NX1 and the FiiO E11k.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,839 of 2,185
Guys I am on the hunt for a cheap portable amp to power a pair of 250 ohm DT 770 Pros.... Do you guys think the NX1 is a good match for this Beyerdynamic headphones?

Any other suggestion between 30 and 40 euros....? I don"t want to spend much because I usually only buy efficient headphones and mostly use them with portable sources.... But since i was offered a deal for this DT 770 at 80 euros (mint condition and still under warranty) i have to try them out...
smily_headphones1.gif

Just tried out my DT 990 Pros (250 ohms) with my Topping NX 1 and it drives them to very loud levels. Clarity is fine.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,840 of 2,185
A good amplifier is about making the music more dynamic - not simply louder. A lot of clean power makes music sound better at even low listening levels - details are easier to identify when an amplifier is not struggling to produce volume. 

So amps actually make sounds much cleaner/better? I thought they were to make the sound louder?

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,841 of 2,185
So amps actually make sounds much cleaner/better? I thought they were to make the sound louder?

Yes, you're completely correct. A lot depends on the dynamic range of the music you're listening to, though. You need an amp that can generate the peaks without clipping, and if your music has a lot of dynamic range then those peaks can be 20-30dB above the average level. Here's a histogram plot of the levels in the first track of Bach's Mass in B Minor as an example:

If you listen at an average level of 80dB then you'll need an amp capable of pushing your 'phones over 105dB without any clipping. Ironically, music that's been mixed to be 'loud', i.e. with a very restricted dynamic range, actually needs less from your amp, as the peaks are much closer to the average level.

Amps don't (or certainly shouldn't) make the music 'more dynamic' - that would imply they're actively expanding the dyanmic range, and it's unfortunate that this sort of language has gained currency in audiophile circles. All an amp needs to do is amplify the signal, i.e. make it louder. But it needs to do that while maintaining the full dynamic range present in the original.

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,844 of 2,185
Depends on your laptop quality, but most probably - yes. I am using it regularly with MacBook Pro on the go, and it is much cleaner on the top and less fuzzy in the bass than MB. Plus the battery life is insane. Another cheap overachiever is a DC driven Biggermouth A1, using tubes for the buffer. It goes for less than 40$: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Biggermouth-A1-6J5-amp-DIY-tube-amplifier-earphones-amplifier-HIFI-AMP-Free-shipping/32289245332.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back