TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,261 of 2,185
Will this drive a Sennheiser HD600? I'm thinking of using it for my PlayStation 3. For example:

PS3 --> RCA out --> RCA female to 3.5mm male cable --> Topping NX 1 --> Sennheiser HD600.

If it doesn't have enough power, I might get a FiiO E11K instead.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,262 of 2,185
Will this drive a Sennheiser HD600? I'm thinking of using it for my PlayStation 3. For example:

PS3 --> RCA out --> RCA female to 3.5mm male cable --> Topping NX 1 --> Sennheiser HD600.

If it doesn't have enough power, I might get a FiiO E11K instead.

It will get the job done in high gain, I've been able to drive 250ohm Beyer DT880 with NX1 which despite the 50ohm lower impedance I found harder to drive than HD600. If you just want decent sound for gaming it will be absolutely fine (and some more) just don't expect world class results.

If you have $100 bucks to spend and a spare power point near your PS3 consider a Schitt Magni instead.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,263 of 2,185
Hi all, long time with no posting... just lurking!

I recently lost my AKG QC460s due to sound loss in one speaker. The AKGs were great, I really loved their portability and folding option, the sound was good, but noise isolation and leakage were terrible.

I wanted to up the level I was listening to, but also gain comfort, a style that suited me and ease of use. I have recently purchased the B&O H6 headphones. The design is perfect, with a size for over ear phones that sit closely (unlike the very chunky Momentums). The quality and comfort is excellent, they fold flat well enough for travelling.They have an iPhone controller which is the only time I use headphones during my commutes. And finally the sound is beautiful and clear.

At home they are perfect, travelling on trains they lose it a little. Leaving me wishing the iPhone 6 could power the volume a bit more. Unfortunately I do not use a lossless music player, I have all my files through iTunes as ease of commuting and use is crucial to me. So I a looking for portable headphone amp that will be easy to use with an iPhone 6 and the H6s.

My wishes are for an amp that increases the power of the volume and lower bass levels, but does not lose the sound quality of the H6s or their inline remote functionality.

I am looking at the FiiO E11K or the Topping NX1 or the SMSL SAP 5.

If you would be so good as to help me, my questions are:
- Using iTunes/Iphone 6 and H6s, will a budget portable amp make a noticable difference?
- Will a portable amp affect the inline remote buttons and commands?
- Which one would you recommend for my set up, the E11K, NX1 or SAP 5?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,265 of 2,185
Hi,
Will SQ improve significantly if I combine Topping NX1 in combination with Vsonic GR07 with following source?:
*FiioX`1
*Moto G
Regards,

For moto G definitely.
Fiio X1.. Depends.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,266 of 2,185
It will get the job done in high gain, I've been able to drive 250ohm Beyer DT880 with NX1 which despite the 50ohm lower impedance I found harder to drive than HD600. If you just want decent sound for gaming it will be absolutely fine (and some more) just don't expect world class results.

If you have $100 bucks to spend and a spare power point near your PS3 consider a Schitt Magni instead.

Thanks for the tip! Decisions, decisions...

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,268 of 2,185
Thanks for the tip! Decisions, decisions...

I forgot to mention the SMSL amps in my earlier post, there's plenty of little (wall powered) desktop amps around $50 for your application with RCA inputs. Just look on eBay search for 'SMSL amp'

They're worth looking at.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,269 of 2,185
For moto G definitely.
Fiio X1.. Depends.

The Moto G is actually pretty good in terms clarity and measurements (good SNR and distortion values) better than some flagship phones, but it has bad extension and power. The NX1 greatly improves the sound. Though the X1 is a different story. Its a great DAP for IEMs but lack power for full sized cans. NX1 will be a great companion IMO.

I'd suggest you look into the FiiO X3 or FiiO E17 which both work as a DAC for the Moto G and PC. The X3 being a standalone DAP as well. It will get you more for your money.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,271 of 2,185
Hi, everyone. This is my 1st posting. I just wondering is there anyone tried pairing hifiman express hm 101 with topping nx1? I'm currently using the hifiman hm 101 but when I used it with my Aiaiai Tma-1 (32ohm) seem to be a lower on volume than my laptop headphone jack. Was wondering maybe it can improve it? I'm also using a UE600vi. Thank you

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,272 of 2,185
Hi there guys! Just received my NX1 as a gift today. I'm sad to say though that it has this awful buzzing sound, and it sounds absolutely thin and awful. The buzzing alternates when I touch the amp itself. I decided to do a little trial and error. I plugged the USB into the amp to charge it and gave it a listen while it was charging. It sounds fantastic! But I still noticed some static in the background. I pulled the USB out half way and realized that it sounded perfect, like the amp probably should sound. I'm assuming that it needs to be grounded in order to sound fine.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a manufacturers defect? I can't really return it since its a gift, and I'm not sure if they'd take it without proof of purchase. I do have the original box, and it even has the serial number/barcode on it. I just opened it a few minutes ago. Has anyone dealt with their customer service before? Are they pretty good?

Given I come into a situation where I cannot return this amp, what are some ways that I could repair it on my own? Would you suggest doing this on your own or seeking a professional? I have very little experience in soldering/electronics but I do have the tools to do so.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,273 of 2,185
Hi there guys! Just received my NX1 as a gift today. I'm sad to say though that it has this awful buzzing sound, and it sounds absolutely thin and awful. The buzzing alternates when I touch the amp itself. I decided to do a little trial and error. I plugged the USB into the amp to charge it and gave it a listen while it was charging. It sounds fantastic! But I still noticed some static in the background. I pulled the USB out half way and realized that it sounded perfect, like the amp probably should sound. I'm assuming that it needs to be grounded in order to sound fine.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a manufacturers defect? I can't really return it since its a gift, and I'm not sure if they'd take it without proof of purchase. I do have the original box, and it even has the serial number/barcode on it. I just opened it a few minutes ago. Has anyone dealt with their customer service before? Are they pretty good?

Given I come into a situation where I cannot return this amp, what are some ways that I could repair it on my own? Would you suggest doing this on your own or seeking a professional? I have very little experience in soldering/electronics but I do have the tools to do so.

Sounds like a grounding issue. Does it sound like there's anything loose inside when you shake it?

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,274 of 2,185
Hi, everyone. This is my 1st posting. I just wondering is there anyone tried pairing hifiman express hm 101 with topping nx1? I'm currently using the hifiman hm 101 but when I used it with my Aiaiai Tma-1 (32ohm) seem to be a lower on volume than my laptop headphone jack. Was wondering maybe it can improve it? I'm also using a UE600vi. Thank you

It probably can help using NX1 from HM101 line out, although from what you're describing there's a problem with your HM101 headphone out that needs to be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back