TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,246 of 2,185
FiiO amps are a little warmer than flat. So they sound good with colder headphones.

FiiO E12 is actually slightly colder than flat according to innerfidelity measurements. Anyone who believes such differences are audible (not me) should not pair E12 with colder headphones.

Warm cans are best paired with cans of cold beer, by the way.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,247 of 2,185
This is my example: if a pair the Havi B3P1 with an E6, because B3P1 is slightly harsh at treble and the E6 (in no EQ) enhances treble a little, i don't think they are good together.

Do the E11K for instance enhances treble a bit? If it does it cannot match with IEMs with somehow harsh treble i think. It becomes harsher...

So most of my IEMs are brighter and a bit harsh at treble (that i like but not too much) i don't want an amp that increases the treble even more...My point was not actually about bass, at all, just treble.   

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,248 of 2,185
FiiO E12 is actually slightly colder than flat according to innerfidelity measurements. Anyone who believes such differences are audible (not me) should not pair E12 with colder headphones.

Warm cans are best paired with cans of cold beer, by the way.

Hmmm, when I pair the E12 with colder cans I get the opposite sensation.

Cold beer goes good with all music!

This is my example: if a pair the Havi B3P1 with an E6, because B3P1 is slightly harsh at treble and the E6 (in no EQ) enhances treble a little, i don't think they are good together.

Do the E11K for instance enhances treble a bit? If it does it cannot match with IEMs with somehow harsh treble i think. It becomes harsher...

So most of my IEMs are brighter and a bit harsh at treble (that i like but not too much) i don't want an amp that increases the treble even more...My point was not actually about bass, at all, just treble.   

The Havi B3 Pro1 isn't treble harsh. I actually have my FiiO E17 EQ set to Bass 0db and Treble +4db for them. Makes everything more crisp and clear, also increases soundstage a bit. And the E6 isn't exactly an amp, more of a hardware EQ than anything.

And by the way, enhances treble compared to what?

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,249 of 2,185
Yeah you got me, i'm not making the proper comparisons. It was just to tell my point.

Let's just say if an IEM has good amount of treble, for me, and the amp extends it to a point that it become a little harsh, for me, because of it's signature, i want to avoid that. But it's depends on each one treble sensitivity.

Maybe this example: Altone 200 hybrid IEM has bright treble, and i believe if i pair it with a FiiO E12A (as in the only review here now says it's signature is on the brighter side), the treble will become too harsh and a not much enjoyable sound. 

So, i was saying, if a pair a a brighter IEM with a brighter AMP, things could go too bright 
atsmile.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,250 of 2,185
Yeah you got me, i'm not making the proper comparisons. It was just to tell my point.

Let's just say if an IEM has good amount of treble, for me, and the amp extends it to a point that it become a little harsh, for me, because of it's signature, i want to avoid that. But it's depends on each one treble sensitivity.

Maybe this example: Altone 200 hybrid IEM has bright treble, and i believe if i pair it with a FiiO E12A (as in the only review here now says it's signature is on the brighter side), the treble will become too harsh and a not much enjoyable sound. 

So, i was saying, if a pair a a brighter IEM with a brighter AMP, things could go too bright :atsmile:

I get what you're saying. I've not heard the E12A yet. But my impression with the E12 was that its on the warm side. Kinda strange though that it measures the oposite.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,251 of 2,185
Hmmm, when I pair the E12 with colder cans I get the opposite sensation.

Cold beer goes good with all music!

+1, couldn't agree more with both those statements :wink:

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,252 of 2,185
One thing I've learned about subjective reviews
If everyone says its warm or everyone says it's cold, it probably is.
If everyone says its neutral, it probably is not.
If every person has a different opinion, its neutral.
I take this as an excellent sign for both the nx1 and the fiio amps.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,253 of 2,185
Okay seems like this is Fiio thread and not Topping NX1 thread anymore 
rolleyes.gif

Anyway I'm posting some pics of my new NX1 here... I'm so loving this amp. Not only it's simple, lightweight with a very compact footprint, but its SQ is top notch as well! This amp as minimal effect on signature of sound coming out of your source. It just adds power to it. Oh, and not to mention the battery life which lasts for eternity :wink:

Here you go... 

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #1,254 of 2,185
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the audio game. Yesterday I bought a Topping NX1 and by reading this thread realized that it does not have a DAC. 
blink.gif

I was searching for a AMP/DAC combo on Amazon and it seems, that after some time it started to suggest also just DAC's and AMP's which I did not realize in my noobishness.

I mainly bought it to improve the sound I get out of my laptop using headphones (Audio Technica ATH-AD500x). I also wanted to use it OTG connected to my smartphone listening to 8tracks. And I have also a Sansa Fuze.

Now... does that mean that I cannot use it with my laptop at all and with my smartphone not via OTG , just via normal input, which means not much improvement to the sound?

Could somebody shed a bit of light on that for me?

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,255 of 2,185
  Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the audio game. Yesterday I bought a Topping NX1 and by reading this thread realized that it does not have a DAC. 
blink.gif

I was searching for a AMP/DAC combo on Amazon and it seems, that after some time it started to suggest also just DAC's and AMP's which I did not realize in my noobishness.

I mainly bought it to improve the sound I get out of my laptop using headphones (Audio Technica ATH-AD500x). I also wanted to use it OTG connected to my smartphone listening to 8tracks. And I have also a Sansa Fuze.

Now... does that mean that I cannot use it with my laptop at all and with my smartphone not via OTG , just via normal input, which means not much improvement to the sound?

All is not lost for the laptop side of things as you can buy a separate DAC running NX1 to that. I suggest you research USB DACs to see your options.

Something like this Ele DAC is cheap and inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-Original-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-CARD-With-ELNA-Capacitor-/221477069768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33910fe3c8

As for the smartphone you can only use NX1 from the headphone out as an amp only.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #1,256 of 2,185
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the audio game. Yesterday I bought a Topping NX1 and by reading this thread realized that it does not have a DAC. :blink:

It still should improve the sound of your smartphone quite a bit as the inbuilt amps are not usually terribly good.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,257 of 2,185
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and to the audio game. Yesterday I bought a Topping NX1 and by reading this thread realized that it does not have a DAC. :blink:

Inbuilt amps suck. Keep laptop's volume around 70% and use NX1. I have one and it makes a lot of difference for me. Not to mention NX1 attached to phone/player also improves sound a lot.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,259 of 2,185
One short information from Rzepa.

Imod + NX1 + Takstar pro80 = <3

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,260 of 2,185
Something like this Ele DAC is cheap and inexpensive.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-Original-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-CARD-With-ELNA-Capacitor-/221477069768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33910fe3c8

Just ordered it. Now I am set for the start. Well... I will be, in 2 months or so when it arrives :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back