TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,006 of 2,185
Got my amp and it makes no difference at all. It gives me a tiny tiny bit more volume, i was expecting better sound quality. Guess its because my 2 headphones are only 50 ohm maybe.

It's not supposed to change the sound. It's only going to provide the proper amount of power to your headphones so that nothing goes missing.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,008 of 2,185
@aaDee. ...love the pics...

thanxx brotha...(actually was expecting someone to appreciate for long)
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,011 of 2,185
I've just ordered the last one in stock on amazon uk.  As I had £15 in amazon vouchers to use up I figured what the hell.  Reason I bought it was to pair with clip plus as I have been using the sennheiser hd 25-ii's with it this week and whilst I like the sound it always feels like the poor clip is running out of steam somewhat.  I also ordered that fiio l16 to use with it.  If I don't like that combo I can always pair it with a 64 gig touch that I have lying around that has a knackered headphone out and use it that way.  My first amp.  Tell you one thing though, this afternoon there were 5 of them on amazon, now 0.  Some people must have been reading this thread!

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,012 of 2,185
I had good results pairing NX1 with a 4g touch, I believe member Baycode also saw the appeal. My gut feeling says your HD25 are going to love it. (Very good headphone btw)

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,013 of 2,185
I had good results pairing NX1 with a 4g touch, I believe member Baycode also saw the appeal. My gut feeling says your HD25 are going to love it. (Very good headphone btw)

Thanks, it's all your fault you know :p

I was surprised though recently.  I tend to use the headphones at work mainly to listen to music and audiobooks to get through the day somehow.  I had been using the hd 25's with the ipod classic and not really feeling it.  Too bright and 'tizzy' for my taste.  Similarly a pair of bw p5's I have sounded a bit off with the clip plus, but swop the pair over and it's a revelation. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,014 of 2,185
Thanks, it's all your fault you know :p

I was surprised though recently.  I tend to use the headphones at work mainly to listen to music and audiobooks to get through the day somehow.  I had been using the hd 25's with the ipod classic and not really feeling it.  Too bright and 'tizzy' for my taste.  Similarly a pair of bw p5's I have sounded a bit off with the clip plus, but swop the pair over and it's a revelation. 

Synergy is the key. The best pairing i found with HD25 was one of those (black) 2nd edition Studio V units . But where this interweaves is to my ears NX1 did share 'some' resemblance, I had thought this long before many months ago.

I was far too hasty selling my HD25, I don't always think that with all the gear I sell.... But when I do .....HD25. :wink:

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,015 of 2,185
Got my amp and it makes no difference at all. It gives me a tiny tiny bit more volume, i was expecting better sound quality. Guess its because my 2 headphones are only 50 ohm maybe.

As the amp is uncoloured it shouldn't change the sound signature at all. However, I notice a wider soundstage and better seperation of instruments aswell as a more impactful bass when using mine. I guess a lot depends on what cans you're using.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #1,017 of 2,185
Synergy is the key. The best pairing i found with HD25 was one of those (black) 2nd edition Studio V units . But where this interweaves is to my ears NX1 did share 'some' resemblance, I had thought this long before many months ago.

I was far too hasty selling my HD25, I don't always think that with all the gear I sell.... But when I do .....HD25. :wink:

Its funny but I recently sold a pair of Grado sr325is to a bloke who favoured his HD25 to a pair of HD650. He sold the Grado's shortly afterwards saying that he'd found his forever cans in the HD25's. Up until then I'd never even heard of them so have been on the lookout for a cheap pair ever since to see what he meant.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,018 of 2,185
Its funny but I recently sold a pair of Grado sr325is to a bloke who favoured his HD25 to a pair of HD650. He sold the Grado's shortly afterwards saying that he'd found his forever cans in the HD25's. Up until then I'd never even heard of them so have been on the lookout for a cheap pair ever since to see what he meant.

Give them a try one day, they're one of those portable headphones or products that stood the test of time. Plus from my experience they don't mind some amping. I can see something clean like NX1 giving them a nice boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back