TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #903 of 2,185
I've developed a proven method to completely remove all high frequency rfi and low frequency emi from portable amps
step 1: on ebay, they sell a surplus military grade flexible shielding sheet, this is used to harden tanks and radios from electromagnetic pulse attacks so you know it will work  http://tinyurl.com/puhdvmx
step 2: use a book or a draftsman's t-angle to help create creases in the sheet so it fits perfectly
step 3:  place upon head

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #905 of 2,185
Mine came today, it's tiny and makes a good combination with my DX50. People say if you use a headphone amp it makes your players battery life last longer, if this true? Something to do with not using the players amp so it uses less power.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #906 of 2,185
Mine came today, it's tiny and makes a good combination with my DX50. People say if you use a headphone amp it makes your players battery life last longer, if this true? Something to do with not using the players amp so it uses less power.

Me read that in a few places too....but me never actually put it to test ....maybe some very well versed technical member can share some insight on this ...cheers

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #907 of 2,185
Like most amplifiers, I suspect the NX1 has a fairly high input impedence which draws very little current from your player's headphone output. This reduces battery load and increases the run time from a single charge.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #908 of 2,185
I made the terrible mistake of introducing myself to this forum, but whatever, you only live once blah blah. Luckily I had refurbished Clip Zip around, ordered this 40 euro amp and 10 euro IEM's (KZ SE), when I expected this is gonna cost many hundreds right of the bat.

Quite happy with the NX1 all around, I'm not experienced with amps and the sort, sounds great. Current Koss IEM probably doesn't benefit much from it, though, so looking forward to the KZ's. Build quality ok, I preferred this over the SMSL SAP-5 or whatever it is called, due to the shape of it, the volume knob and gain switch instead of useless bass switch. And the supposedly more neutral sound signature. Ridiculous battery life and cheap price were also factors.

There's couple problems. There is constant hiss with at least the current IEM's. Can I reduce that somehow? Also when I touch the device, it makes electric noise, this stops if I cover the USB port with my finger. Is that some characteristic of the device? Fixable?

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #909 of 2,185
I made the terrible mistake of introducing myself to this forum, but whatever, you only live once blah blah. Luckily I had refurbished Clip Zip around, ordered this 40 euro amp and 10 euro IEM's (KZ SE), when I expected this is gonna cost many hundreds right of the bat.

Quite happy with the NX1 all around, I'm not experienced with amps and the sort, sounds great. Current Koss IEM probably doesn't benefit much from it, though, so looking forward to the KZ's. Build quality ok, I preferred this over the SMSL SAP-5 or whatever it is called, due to the shape of it, the volume knob and gain switch instead of useless bass switch. And the supposedly more neutral sound signature. Ridiculous battery life and cheap price were also factors.

There's couple problems. There is constant hiss with at least the current IEM's. Can I reduce that somehow? Also when I touch the device, it makes electric noise, this stops if I cover the USB port with my finger. Is that some characteristic of the device? Fixable?

Hiss with iem ....yes ...very little ...but when touch the device ..electric noise .....thats new ...are they same noise or different ?

The latter issue is not in me NX1 ...definitely not charcateristic of the device ....

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #910 of 2,185
It's different, electronic noise... actually the continual noise happens only with PC. With Clip Zip it's just short zap or so when touching, not really hearable. Not really a problem, just wondering...

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #911 of 2,185
It's different, electronic noise... actually the continual noise happens only with PC. With Clip Zip it's just short zap or so when touching, not really hearable. Not really a problem, just wondering...

Me would not want that in me NX1 ...maybe give it a full discharge and recharge the battery again ...see how it goes ...if problem still persists ..maybe contact the seller for suggestion or get a replacement unit ...

Cheers

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #913 of 2,185
There's couple problems. There is constant hiss with at least the current IEM's. Can I reduce that somehow?

Is the amp set to low gain?

Also when I touch the device, it makes electric noise, this stops if I cover the USB port with my finger. Is that some characteristic of the device? Fixable?

That's a ground loop. You can try a ground loop isolator (search on Amazon or whatever).

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #914 of 2,185
Good thing the thread's still alive.
I was looking to buy the NX1 as well and based from what people said here, it is safe to assume that the amp does it job really well, aye?
It's 35 euro here in ebay.de and it's a good price to pay to replace my FiiO E6 (that I start to doubt its performance compared to bigger portable amp). 

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #915 of 2,185
Yeah, low gain. But everything's fine now! The KZ's came and with them there is very little hiss! Ground loop explains the other thing. I'm happy, KZ's sound beautiful! I had Koss Sparkplugs that are apparently hated around here. My ears are not used to this sort of clarity of sound.
basshead.gif

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back