TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #406 of 2,185
  IMHO there's no need to compare the NX1 to the big boys (dac).
Simply because it's very neutral and so the quality of your sound will mostly depend on the recording/track quality, DAP sound quality, and of course your IEM.
Just my opinion...

Driving capability is a different matter tho... and might be important to know the limitations of the NX1.
For the benefit of those who own power demanding headphones.

I know there are many more demanding headphones but NX-1 has been an extremely good purchase (bargain of the year) for my Sennheiser HD600, very transparent and drives them fully with plenty of headroom, the HD600 seem to be reaching their full potential with this little wolf in sheeps clothing.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #407 of 2,185
New to amps, so pardon me if I say something stupid. Can I run this on my desktop? Don't need a portable rig, would just need to be able to plug this in my PC then my IEM's. Trying to find an amp to start out.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #408 of 2,185
NX1 is just an amp, this means you can connect it to the line out of you PC's sound card. However, this is not a good idea unless you have a good soundcard. I'd suggest to look for something with the DAC so you can bypass your PC's sound card or add separate USB dac. If you are looking for budget solution take a look at HIFIMEDIY SABRE TINY USB DAC or UCA202 and add NX1 to it. This could make quite nice budget desktop/portable set up.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #409 of 2,185

Thanks for the comparsion!

Yes, I have also tried using facebook to send my messages but again "no reply"
frown.gif

Same here. I gave up a long time ago...

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #410 of 2,185
  New to amps, so pardon me if I say something stupid. Can I run this on my desktop? Don't need a portable rig, would just need to be able to plug this in my PC then my IEM's. Trying to find an amp to start out.

Have a look at the SMSL M2 also.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #411 of 2,185

You can but will mostly likely not change the quality of the sound much as most pc board makers spend very little money on the on board dac.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #412 of 2,185
You can but will mostly likely not change the quality of the sound much as most pc board makers spend very little money on the on board dac.

Quite the opposite, really: onboard DACs these days are usually good enough - it's the headphone out that's the problem most of the time.

You can use the NX1 as a desktop amp without plugging it on USB: its battery life is such that you'll only need to charge it every once in a while. Just turn it off when you're not using it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #413 of 2,185
Quite the opposite, really: onboard DACs these days are usually good enough - it's the headphone out that's the problem most of the time.

You can use the NX1 as a desktop amp without plugging it on USB: its battery life is such that you'll only need to charge it every once in a while. Just turn it off when you're not using it.

Really??!! What sort of dacs are in them now days??

Wolfsons? PCM? AK?

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #416 of 2,185
Selling my NX1 amp if anyone in Australia is interested. No, not because I don't like it, actually I like it a lot - it's because in this hobby I buy / try / sell gear and accumulate far too much gear.  I've had my time with NX1 and want to continue its journey. This isn't to say I might pick up another one in the future or the NX2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726957/topping-nx1-portable-amplifier-free-shipping

I will continue to look after the thread and add impressions to the OP etc.....  
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #417 of 2,185
Shame. If you shippped outside of AUS, I'll love to take it from your hand.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #419 of 2,185
  Shame. If you shippped outside of AUS, I'll love to take it from your hand.

I would, but we have problems getting lithium batteries through customs. Australia post won't ship them internationally. 

Sorry ClieOS.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #420 of 2,185

I would, but we have problems getting lithium batteries through customs. Australia post won't ship them internationally. 

Sorry ClieOS.

Seem like a common problem with postal service these days, hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back