TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
May 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #63 of 2,185
This amp kicks all sorts of ass, and the battery is quite large (1000mAH). I'm loving it. Great pickup for $40, and better than the lower end Fiio's to my ears.

It works really well with the KC06A so far. Adds some nice slight bass warmth and a bit to the mids.

Glad that you like it. It definitely beat the e11 I had before for sure..!

May 28, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #64 of 2,185
  This amp kicks all sorts of ass, and the battery is quite large (1000mAH). I'm loving it. Great pickup for $40, and better than the lower end Fiio's to my ears.

It works really well with the KC06A so far. Adds some nice slight bass warmth and a bit to the mids.

Do you happen to have c&c bh as well ? Any differences?

May 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #66 of 2,185
Hi, new here today (01 post count is probably a giveaway
wink_face.gif
). As it happens my Topping NX1 arrived today. I came across them on eBay last week, and got mine from a UK seller for £21.99. Primarily it's for using with my phone - it'll ease the drain on the battery when listening to music which I do quite a lot. I'll also use it in the car - the phone's audio output doesn't really have enough signal for the aux in I've hacked into the car stereo. With the NX1 on high gain setting it'll easily drive the volume to hearing endangering levels.

Anyway, I did a Google search to try to find a bit more out about the NX1 and the first link led me here. Having read through the thread, I decided I'd give it a spin against my hi-fi headphone amp with a pair of HD580s. My home amp is a World Audio Design (ECL83 powered) HD83 which I built back in about 2001. I dropped Leonard Cohen's "Ten New Songs" into the Opus 21 and spun it on "Boogie Street".

For a £20 headphone amp, the NX1 is none too shabby. It's fairly neutral in presentation, maybe a touch forward in the mids, with good detail. Breadth and depth of soundstage isn't bad at all. It doesn't quite have the transparency of the tube amp or the same level of three-dimensionality (the layering of the vocals in the intro isn't as well defined) but then I'd be pretty disappointed with my HD83 if it did. For it's intended use, it's a bargain. I would never have believed a £20 headphone amp could sound this good. At 300 ohm impedance, the 580s aren't an easy drive, but the NX1 has tons of headroom - I measured 99.5 dB(A) in the earpiece with my sound meter before really bad distortion set in.

Incidentally, the high gain setting sounds so much better than the low setting, even when volume matched......

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #67 of 2,185
Ordered one myself as I had £20 in amazon gift certificates, so it's only costing me £5.

I needed something that could boost the audio for my PS4 mostly, as I use a pc monitor to play console games (alongside PC gaming) and the audio comes out just a bit quiet.

I plan to use the 3.5mm cable from the monitor audio jack to the amp to boost the volume. Whether the quality may suffer coming from the monitor, I'm not too fussed about.

Ideally, I wanted an amp with an optical input so I could connect directly from the PS4 but I'll get one if this plan fails.

Is there a possibility I could use an optical cable from the PS4 to the amp if I added a 3.5mm adapter to the end of the cable?

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #68 of 2,185
I don't currently own any amps, and don't plan to buy any more.  I think 1 would probably do it for me. 

Would you guys say this is a good starter amp? 

My budget is $50.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #69 of 2,185
  Is there a possibility I could use an optical cable from the PS4 to the amp if I added a 3.5mm adapter to the end of the cable?

No, you cannot connect a digital output (optical) to a analog input (3,5 mm).

You would need an amplifier with intergrated dac (digital to analog converter) or a standalone dac to do this.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #70 of 2,185
  I don't currently own any amps, and don't plan to buy any more.  I think 1 would probably do it for me. 

Would you guys say this is a good starter amp? 

My budget is $50.

Are you planning on using it with the IEM's in your sig?

If so I've got most of them and my NX1 should be here any time now. I can test it with them and let you know how it works.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #71 of 2,185
  Are you planning on using it with the IEM's in your sig?

If so I've got most of them and my NX1 should be here any time now. I can test it with them and let you know how it works.

Yes.. that's the plan.  Thanks, looking forward to hearing your impressions!  Let me know how they are with the Havi's too.. I was only ever going to buy those if I had an amp. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #72 of 2,185

Yes.. that's the plan.  Thanks, looking forward to hearing your impressions!  Let me know how they are with the Havi's too.. I was only ever going to buy those if I had an amp. 

No problem. Mine were shipped on May 20'th so should arrive soon..............

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #73 of 2,185
  No problem. Mine were shipped on May 20'th so should arrive soon..............

Awesome.  Looking forward to it.. where did you order them from?

I saw it for $37 on Deal Extreme.. free shipping to Canada.  That's probably where I'd order from.  All the ebay listings are $50 after shipping.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #74 of 2,185

Awesome.  Looking forward to it.. where did you order them from?

I saw it for $37 on Deal Extreme.. free shipping to Canada.  That's probably where I'd order from.  All the ebay listings are $50 after shipping.

I got mine from eBay seller tool_nerd. Won an auction at $35 shipped, not bad. That being said since it's being shipped by donkey the shipping can't be expensive 
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #75 of 2,185
After reading ebrain's post about Deal Extreme having NX1 I found the amp on DE Australia, I managed to pick one up for $38.00 AUD.

The minium for free delivery was $40.00 so I added a $2 cable.

I'll report in once the amp arrives. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back