TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,882 of 2,185
Got one of these coming for my turntable tomorrow so I can avoid the horrible headphone out of my speakers. Looking forward to trying it out.

If I like it, I might get a v2 as well to use as a dac for my laptop.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #1,883 of 2,185
Arrived this morning, along with a much needed replacement vinyl and stylus brush.

When I first plugged everything in, I was a little upset to find that only the right channel was playing on my headphones, but after messing with cables I found that unplugging and reinserting my headphones cable sorted out the problem.  Hopefully that's just a temporary blip, as there seems to be no problem now.

Just popped on Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, and I'm halfway through the second side right now, so very early impressions.

I am impressed, and it does exactly what I wanted it to. On low gain, at about 12 o'clock, I have enough power to drive my Mo-Fis at a comfortable low volume and the sound quality is a great improvement over the headphone out of my speakers.  I think I'll do a bit of swapping about later on and try it on the line out of my CD player too.

Looks like I'll be spending the afternoon spinning some vinyl!  

I must also get a LOD for my iPod and see if I think It's worth carrying around with me.  I am not sure I'll bother though, as the Mo-Fi's internal amp makes my iPod and my phone sound great with the volume lowered on the output.

I just need to sort a DAC out for my laptop now.  The noise on the signal is pretty damn loud with these headphones using the motherboard headphones out.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,884 of 2,185
  I just need to sort a DAC out for my laptop now.  The noise on the signal is pretty damn loud with these headphones using the motherboard headphones out.

About a year or two ago there was some attention on a little USB DAC called the "Ele Dac". They can be picked up for around $15 on eBay USA (and probably amazon)

You can check them out here.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,885 of 2,185
About a year or two ago there was some attention on a little USB DAC called the "Ele Dac". They can be picked up for around $15 on eBay USA (and probably amazon)

You can check them out here.

Thanks H20, looks like a nice and cheap solution. Have you tried one?

Also did you ever get around to the NX2? I'm thinking I might just get one of those a little further down the line. If the dac is functional and the amp similar to the nx1, it seems like a bargain solution.

I have my sight set fairly low with these things, considering my music comes from Cd rips, so I have no need for high res compatibility. Redbook is plenty for my ears.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,886 of 2,185
Thanks H20, looks like a nice and cheap solution. Have you tried one?

Also did you ever get around to the NX2? I'm thinking I might just get one of those a little further down the line. If the dac is functional and the amp similar to the nx1, it seems like a bargain solution.

I have my sight set fairly low with these things, considering my music comes from Cd rips, so I have no need for high res compatibility. Redbook is plenty for my ears.

I haven't tried Ele DAC personally , it's the cheapest one available basically, the boys (members) seemed to enjoy it.

Never tried NX2, though utube points to some reviews, my gut feeling is it lacks power overall for anything more than IEM.

If you really want to upgrade take a look at the iBasso Dzero MK2, excellent little dac/amp for little over $100.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,887 of 2,185

Having NX1 and NX2, prefer much more NX2. Simple dac, no high rez files, but sound smooth and non-digital. NX1 has lo/hi gain, NX2 has a fixed gain which is closer to high gain setting of NX1. But somehow NX2 sounds less dry and warmer to me. And it feels more pleasant in the pocket. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,888 of 2,185
Having NX1 and NX2, prefer much more NX2. Simple dac, no high rez files, but sound smooth and non-digital. NX1 has lo/hi gain, NX2 has a fixed gain which is closer to high gain setting of NX1. But somehow NX2 sounds less dry and warmer to me. And it feels more pleasant in the pocket. 

Are you talking about the amp section alone or as a DAC/AMP for NX2?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,890 of 2,185
Yup I believed the hype and bought on too. Glad I did. My crappy Huawei actually sounds really great now. Even though this is an AMP it still adds alot of quality to the sound. I have only used it for 20minutes and the sound cant wait to come out of this thing. Its amazing.

The size was very shocking because it really looks big on the Internet, I really love it compact size.

I use 20-32 ohm headphones. It is set to high and volume knob about 75%, my huawei is 100% volume. At this setting its not too high or low very listenable.

My headphones is;

50 cent anc wired silver, has a very natural and clear sound
50 cent anc wired black, this one has a more boomy bass and sounds very different, it gives me the club feeling a little gain on the 110hz I think.

Yes they should sound the same, but there are not, totally different in very good ways.

I use Sure SE215 also, this one just sounds good really clean without hurting me in the highs. with this the Huawei is 100% and the nx1 is set to low and about 40%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back