TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #153 of 2,185
I think how it sounds is more important than what parts that are used by that's just me
wink.gif

Well that´s my opinion to.. A lot of mumbo jumbo snake oil is going on in this business. :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #154 of 2,185
For $40.00 this little thing actually sounds really good. There's a saying: "don't knock it til you try it"  The build quality is great, form factor, run times. It's a nifty little amp I must say.

I've been running NX1 from Aune T1 line out this afternoon (Golden Lion tube on the DAC end) with SHR440, SHR940, ATH-M50. it gives the Aune T1 amp section a decent run.  The soundstage is actually wider on NX1 and separation rather clean, I also find the little amp has a certain timbre that comes out with vocals, really enjoyable sound.

I feel NX1 definitely leans towards brighter sides of the spectrum however along with that is a good wack of detail and a very 'clear' presentation. I was speaking to someone on Instagram their impressions very much mirror mine and DMax. Well detailed very 'clear/clean'. I sure as hell don't remember an E5, E6 or E11 sounding like this little thing...

There's x5 members touring an NX1 which starts this week (thanks to DMax). They'll be sheading further light on the subject as I believe judgment lies in hands on experience from a number of users. One of those members owns C&C BH and FiiO E11 so they'll give their opinion. I'm pretty sure I know what they're going to think. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #155 of 2,185
I have Tralucent T1 here and JDS C421, T1 being more than x5 times the price and C421 being at least triple, regardless of that I'm really impressed with the sound coming out of this little thing. Like Dmax said the bass is punchy while the mids stay clean and detailed, especially vocals are crisp and have good extension.

From what I remember it leaves amps like FiiO E6 far behind immediately punching up with E11, C&C BH. For my preferences with H-300 its a better pairing than Tralucent T1, though let's not get carried away just yet. It's just better synergy for H-300 because it seems to put the top heavy treble in line and allow higher volume before the rather cold H-300 leans out.

I'll compare to the other amps down the road but this little thing can get up and go with my pure silver interconnect, DX50 and H-300. It's almost like Topping stole a few ideas from C&C namely the foot-print size of BH but at the same time making NX1 thinner. I don't like the power switch position because if you're using a right angle jack like I am with H-300 it gets in the way switching the amp on/off. Straight jacks would be no problem.

I think DMax said he does prefer NX1 to C&C BH and can totally understand how that's possible. I was driving some full-size SHR440 on low gain no problems, switching back and forth between  DX50 headphone out and NX1 from line out I think I preffeer the more detailed NX1's forward mid-range.

Another thing is even with H-300 I turn the amp up to about half the volume pot, it's rather relaxed until you lift the volume considerably I tend to listen to H-300 at about 50% 60%, but I'll get a better estimate on that when laying down late at night. When you get to about the last 25% (about 3/4) then it really throws on the power out. (This is in low gain)

I'm really enjoying it and coming from amps like Tralucent T1 that's quite a task and think anyone should be good to go.

Damn Pete! We'll need to send out a search party!

Great impressions pairing with H300! Btw the link provided in the first post from eBay Australia indicates that the price is AUD100+?

*Edit: Just saw the correct link at USD34.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #156 of 2,185
Great impressions pairing with H300! Btw the link provided in the first post from eBay Australia indicates that the price is AUD100+?

*Edit: Just saw the correct link at USD34.

That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100.
rolleyes.gif
 Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.

I actually changed the link this afternoon but you beat me to it. (it's fixed now) Mine took 1 week, 2 days to arrive (from Deal Xtreme)

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #157 of 2,185

That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100.
rolleyes.gif
 Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.

I actually changed the link this afternoon but you beat me to it. (it's fixed now) Mine took 1 week, 2 days to arrive (from Deal Xtreme)

That's the guy that put it up for auction starting from $10 and I was the only bidder and just as the auction was coming to a close he cancelled it. I was fuming! I could've got it for $20. Then he put it up as a "Buy it Now" item for $75. Don't buy from him. He's a scumbag!

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #158 of 2,185

That's the guy that put it up for auction starting from $10 and I was the only bidder and just as the auction was coming to a close he cancelled it. I was fuming! I could've got it for $20. Then he put it up as a "Buy it Now" item for $75. Don't buy from him. He's a scumbag!

He did that to me too! Closed the auction! I placed a bid and he canceled it at about 13 hours left.

The eBay policy is you can't close an auction once it drops under 12 hours and tool_nerd did exactly that to me!

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #159 of 2,185
I bought mine from dx. Its interesting that the tracking info on 17track.net shows that the shipping origin is Switzerland and the carrier is Swiss Post. It should be here next week (I hope). Do dx.com has an office in Europe? I thougt that they ship from China before...

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #160 of 2,185
That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100. :rolleyes:  Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.

Roger that! Deal extreme seems to be way better. With free shipping too! Totally worth the purchase. Thanks for the updates! :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #161 of 2,185
  Couldn't help but notice this thread, how good can this $40 headphone amp be? Well I checked out the photos for the Topping NX-1 board and it seems a bit fishy. The specs claim it uses a TI opa1611. The 1611 has 8 pins yes? So why does the chip on the board have 16 pins? It can't be a TI 1611. Anyone?

would it be more likely something like a TI614? don't know much about this stuff:)

http://www.ti.com/product/LM614/description

It is most definitely not a TI OPA1611, as that is a SOIC8 chip and the one in NX1 is more like a SOIC16. Plus, they can't use OPA1611 anyway, since it is a single channel. Saying it is an OPA1612 (the dual channel version of OPA1611) will make more sense (though OPA1612 is still SOIC8).

Anyway, I think along the way someone just made up the spec and everyone else just copied them without questioning. The actual spec of NX1 was never published, as far as I know. I can't even find it on Topping official site.

Anyway. it looks to me like a Maxim chip.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #162 of 2,185

It is most definitely not a TI OPA1611, as that is a SOIC8 chip and the one in NX1 is more like a SOIC16. Plus, they can't use OPA1611 anyway, since it is a single channel. Saying it is an OPA1612 (the dual channel version of OPA1611) will make more sense (though OPA1612 is still SOIC8).

Anyway, I think along the way someone just made up the spec and everyone else just copied them without questioning. The actual spec of NX1 was never published, as far as I know. I can't even find it on Topping official site.

Anyway. it looks to me like a Maxim chip.

Yeah, definitely looks like the specs have been made up! (as on most sellers pages). If it is a maxim chip, would it be something like this solde at mouser?

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX13331GEE-V+/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuyaNrx2BHM4iCP5Bi2hfBPrtsMbgWwJIc%3d

Anyway, I do agree with others comments stating that it is 'how it sounds' that is most important.

I read somewhere someone was successfully driving 300ohm full size headphones with NX1, thoughts?

Maximum output power100mW (RL=32Ω, THD+N=1%)
 Maximum output voltage swing8.2Vpp
Here is the official product page:

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #163 of 2,185
Ok guys, just to clarify.

I've been in contact with Topping through email and they have confirmed that it is indeed their new product. However they have not added it to their website yet. 
I've sent them another query about what is the actual opamp that is used in the NX1. You guys bring up a great point which needs to be clarified. Hopefully we'll get some answered very soon.

In the end this does not compromise how we see the amp, or how the amp really sounds. But it wouldn't hurt to know what is really powering this little beast.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #164 of 2,185

Yeah, definitely looks like the specs have been made up! (as on most sellers pages). If it is a maxim chip, would it be something like this solde at mouser?

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX13331GEE-V+/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuyaNrx2BHM4iCP5Bi2hfBPrtsMbgWwJIc%3d

Anyway, I do agree with others comments stating that it is 'how it sounds' that is most important.

I read somewhere someone was successfully driving 300ohm full size headphones with NX1, thoughts?

Maximum output power100mW (RL=32Ω, THD+N=1%)
 Maximum output voltage swing8.2Vpp
Here is the official product page:

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm

I'm actually driving 250ohm Beyer DT880 right now with it on high gain. About 10:00 on the volume dial for normal listening level.  It's a little champ. 
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #165 of 2,185

I'm actually driving 250ohm Beyer DT880 right now with it on high gain. About 10:00 on the volume dial for normal listening level.  It's a little champ. 
smile.gif

Any noticeable noise on high gain settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back