Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #122 of 507
anybody has this dx7 pro for over a year and the knob has been used a lot and it is NOT broken yet? are they all already broken if really used? thanks!!

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #123 of 507
Just took delivery of a Topping DX7 pro
I only have B&W P7 wired at the moment ( waiting on the Sennheiser 560S )
First impressions are confusing
Some songs sound great , others not so good
I had a Dragonfly cobalt with the same cans and to be honest some songs sounded better than the Topping.
Using Tidal Hifi and Amazon HD from a iPhone and MacBook with USB.
Hoping some better headphones will sort things out .
If not it’s going back.
All is forgiven !
My 560s turned up and the Topping/ 560 combo sounds bliss in everything I play , I’m hearing stuff I didn’t know was there. Only thing is, I play a 192 track and it shows 44 when using USB from a MacBook. Works fine on the phone !

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #124 of 507
All is forgiven !
My 560s turned up and the Topping/ 560 combo sounds bliss in everything I play , I’m hearing stuff I didn’t know was there. Only thing is, I play a 192 track and it shows 44 when using USB from a MacBook. Works fine on the phone !

It's probably like Windows where the USB output is sampled by the OS. In Windows you can change the output to more or less whatever you want regardless of the source. Not sure if you can do the same on the Mac. The subject was mentioned earlier in this post I think.

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #125 of 507
All is forgiven !
In the mac you can change that, per song, otherwise if you use audirvana or an itunes bit perfect plugin, it can be solved and the sample rate will change automatically for each track.

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #126 of 507
In the mac you can change that, per song, otherwise if you use audirvana or an itunes bit perfect plugin, it can be solved and the sample rate will change automatically for each track.
Im using Amazon HD but it does the same with Tidal and Apple Music .
not sure how accurate these are at showing bit rates , only Amazon does this I think , but it doesn’t show the same rate as the topping displays . Ive emailed the seller and see what they say .

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #127 of 507
Yes, but, have you checked on the Audio MIDI Setup in your mac, if the system is actually changing the used sampling bitrate or not? because maybe the dac is good on showing 44.1, if the system is using 44.1 all the time, no? have you checked that already? just wondering, to verify it is a problem in the device and not the system.

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #128 of 507
Yes, but, have you checked on the Audio MIDI Setup in your mac, if the system is actually changing the used sampling bitrate or not? because maybe the dac is good on showing 44.1, if the system is using 44.1 all the time, no? have you checked that already? just wondering, to verify it is a problem in the device and not the system.
Thanks !
Yeah I did that and changed it to
Thanks! yes I just set it to 24 bit /192 kHz seems to be changing with the source now

What about my iPhone XR ? That just displays 192khz all the time , is there similar setting ?

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #129 of 507
I never had an iphone, no clue bout that stuff.

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #131 of 507
Ok thanks , so when I play a 44.1khz track it just displays 192khz ? Is this right ? (MacBook) Same with the iPhone , just doesn't change with tracks

the track number doesnt matter friend. you can have a track of 44.1, or 96, or 192, but the dac does nto indicate the track bitrate, the dac shows the bitrate used at that moment, and if your reproducing software doesnt adjust the system bitrate, the dac will nto change either... if you use audirvana for example, it will change automatically. If you use itunes or apple music, it will not.

So if you play a 192 track, but dac shows 44.1, that is actually a very good thing, because that tells you, hey, the system is not adjusted at 192, I gotta change something to get all the detail from this... when the trakc is 192, and the dac says 192, then all is good, you get that visual confirmation.

If the track is 192 and the dac says 44.1, the dac is not wrong, it's your system or your software that didn't change to the correct sample rate, that is why you need to use either audirvana of a bit perfect plugin.

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #132 of 507
Think the problem is with AmazonHD , I play through Tidal and the display changes with the track bitrate , This is on my iPhone , Downloaded Audivarna and that changes with Amazon and Tidal on the MacBook . Guess I should ignore the bitrate and just enjoy the music ?! Although its nice to see the correct format being displayed .

So when I go into settings, there is one for the DAC , Which one do I have it on ? I tried both but couldn't tell a difference . ASYNC or SYNC

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #133 of 507
Think the problem is with AmazonHD , I play through Tidal and the display changes with the track bitrate , This is on my iPhone , Downloaded Audivarna and that changes with Amazon and Tidal on the MacBook . Guess I should ignore the bitrate and just enjoy the music ?! Although its nice to see the correct format being displayed .

So when I go into settings, there is one for the DAC , Which one do I have it on ? I tried both but couldn't tell a difference . ASYNC or SYNC

Haha. Maybe you should just enjoy the music.

I'm lucky. I tried playing around with the bitrates on my computer and I couldn't tell the difference :p

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #135 of 507
price for those opamps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back