Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Oct 27, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #496 of 507
I am absolutely racking my brain trying to find this supposed 'sound mode' setting in the settings menu, it does not exist past #15 which is 'save and exit'. Using M on the remote doesn't do anything either while the manual says pressing M on the remote should eventually bring it up. The menu doesn't go past 15 steps.
"Sound mode setting (16th in setup menu)"

• Sound mode setting (Available for remote control setting

• TOPPING-DX7-Pro-DAC-and-Headphone-Amp-fig-30
This is not in the menu anywhere, I've gone thru it for a good 5 mins, only take a few secs to go thru the whole menu over and over...anyone know where this is?

There is no 'sound mode' anywhere in the menu but according to the manual its supposed to be there.
https://manuals.plus/topping/dx7-pro-dac-and-headphone-amp-manual
That's the manual for the newer DX7 Pro+... looks like that manuals.plus site has the two models reversed. On their site the DX7 Pro+ section has the manual for the older DX7 Pro, which does not offer the Sound or Balance functions. The official 'manual' for the older DX7 Pro is here:

https://www.topping.audio/filedownload/75658

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #497 of 507
That's the manual for the newer DX7 Pro+... looks like that manuals.plus site has the two models reversed. On their site the DX7 Pro+ section has the manual for the older DX7 Pro, which does not offer the Sound or Balance functions. The official 'manual' for the older DX7 Pro is here:

https://www.topping.audio/filedownload/75658
Ah, that explains it. I had a few too many beverages last night and thought I was on the right page. Thank you good sir!

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #498 of 507
I was going to say I don't ever recall seeing that as well.

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #499 of 507
Bring new life to old dx7 pro with opamps. Lme opamp inside sucks, pop in MUSES8920 opamp. 5$ aliexpress
More details and gets mid range out/no more V-shape curve of lme. Spring in the sparkos 3306 80$ each just to try, not worth it but it is better by 10% in every regard. Just need 2 for xlr, if want headphone out too then get 4, but rather get other types of opamp to play.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #500 of 507
Bring new life to old dx7 pro with opamps. Lme opamp inside sucks, pop in MUSES8920 opamp. 5$ aliexpress
More details and gets mid range out/no more V-shape curve of lme. Spring in the sparkos 3306 80$ each just to try, not worth it but it is better by 10% in every regard. Just need 2 for xlr, if want headphone out too then get 4, but rather get other types of opamp to play.
For me:
1) Burson Audio
2) Sparkos
3) Any other cheap op-amp

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #501 of 507
I am sorry, but for the sake of others, I have to burst your bubbles.
- The factory LME chips are absolutely excellent and transparent. The device has been designed with the chips in mind. Others have done opamp rollings, and nothing can better it, when it comes to measurements.
- Muses opamps though excellent, are heavily counterfeited! Beware of cheap knockoffs. They are not genuine articles.
JRC Muses are very sought after as they were originals (Japan Radio Corporation).
But even they can not improve the performance.
Indeed I have some, if anybody wants to buy them.
Burson, Muses LME are all fine, but no better than each other.

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #502 of 507
I bought a DX7 Pro as my first desktop amp to power my headphones and after reading up more or more seems like I'll probably either. Have a DOA unit and no time or I'm going to run out of headroom real fast and probably replace this thing quicker than snot.

The A90 and the D90 were my first choice is, but the DX7 Pro seemed like a perfect combo unit and I liked it slick design. However, may want to venture on to greener grasses and try different brand.

I have thought about Schiit as some of their units are pretty highly regarded and they are very close to me in regards to repairability. They do tend to lack a little bells and whistles that's for sure and advancements but where they lack and bells and whistles. They certainly are highly dependable and regarded as very quality built.

Another brand that keeps popping up is the Violectric, I don't know much about him, but I'll be long before my research a lot.

Does anyone else wants to throw some suggestions? A certainly do like that Topping and Schiit and via Violectric look for amps. In terms of headroom well you can look at my bio and see My headphone collection and only plan to purchase or upgrade to harder to drive units potentially.

Really do like what topping does make, but it seems that they're more worried about making more units than they are concentrated on just building one really good one at a time. The real parability factor of dealing out of China can be always a bit of a headache that's for sure, especially on the time wise and communication is problem as well too. I tried to reach out to topping already and didn't get very much response from them in the past month. Meanwhile, people over at Schiit ave been super fast dealing with me.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #503 of 507
I bought a DX7 Pro as my first desktop amp to power my headphones and after reading up more or more seems like I'll probably either. Have a DOA unit and no time or I'm going to run out of headroom real fast and probably replace this thing quicker than snot.

The A90 and the D90 were my first choice is, but the DX7 Pro seemed like a perfect combo unit and I liked it slick design. However, may want to venture on to greener grasses and try different brand.

I have thought about Schiit as some of their units are pretty highly regarded and they are very close to me in regards to repairability. They do tend to lack a little bells and whistles that's for sure and advancements but where they lack and bells and whistles. They certainly are highly dependable and regarded as very quality built.

Another brand that keeps popping up is the Violectric, I don't know much about him, but I'll be long before my research a lot.

Does anyone else wants to throw some suggestions? A certainly do like that Topping and Schiit and via Violectric look for amps. In terms of headroom well you can look at my bio and see My headphone collection and only plan to purchase or upgrade to harder to drive units potentially.

Really do like what topping does make, but it seems that they're more worried about making more units than they are concentrated on just building one really good one at a time. The real parability factor of dealing out of China can be always a bit of a headache that's for sure, especially on the time wise and communication is problem as well too. I tried to reach out to topping already and didn't get very much response from them in the past month. Meanwhile, people over at Schiit ave been super fast dealing with me.
I’m confused.. what’s wrong with your dx7 pro that it needs replaced? Looking at your signature headphones section, all can be powered easily by a dx7 pro. Run out of headroom? Are you saying you can’t get your headphones loud enough on your amp??

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #504 of 507
I’m confused.. what’s wrong with your dx7 pro that it needs replaced? Looking at your signature headphones section, all can be powered easily by a dx7 pro. Run out of headroom? Are you saying you can’t get your headphones loud enough on your amp??
Nothing is wrong with them. I am just saying that they're probably going to be a temporary hold over amp/DAC or I am going to add an amp on to it or preamp not sure. However I do plan to purchase some more headphones that are going to be hard to power and this little d70 Pro may not have enough juice to make that happen.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #505 of 507
Nothing is wrong with them. I am just saying that they're probably going to be a temporary hold over amp/DAC or I am going to add an amp on to it or preamp not sure. However I do plan to purchase some more headphones that are going to be hard to power and this little d70 Pro may not have enough juice to make that happen.
Oh I see. Your DX7 should power just about anything shy of Susvara and a Modhouse Tungsten. I think even my old Beyerdynamic 600ohm t1 sounded fine on it lol. YMMV, but if I were you, I’d be looking at R2R systems.. the natural, rich and analog sound you can get from the right R2R chain makes it really worth it (at least for me). I can’t ever go back to a delta sigma dac personally.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #506 of 507
Oh I see. Your DX7 should power just about anything shy of Susvara and a Modhouse Tungsten. I think even my old Beyerdynamic 600ohm t1 sounded fine on it lol. YMMV, but if I were you, I’d be looking at R2R systems.. the natural, rich and analog sound you can get from the right R2R chain makes it really worth it (at least for me). I can’t ever go back to a delta sigma dac personally.
Suggestions in the 400 to $1000 models I should look for and test out would always be appreciated. Always love feedback from different users and suggestions to try new things. I am no expert so I am open to ideas.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #507 of 507
Suggestions in the 400 to $1000 models I should look for and test out would always be appreciated. Always love feedback from different users and suggestions to try new things. I am no expert so I am open to ideas.
Depends on the features you require. For example do you require ldac or Bluetooth? Personally I use an EF400 dac + Lyr+ amp and a few tubes. I feel it’s my endgame system even after trying things that cost $3000-$4000 (and even much more). It has everything I need and produces a sound my ears truly truly enjoy no matter where gets plugged into it (but I do roll tubes depending on headphone being listened to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back