Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #482 of 507
Is the DX7 Pro similar to the other Toppings?

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #483 of 507
Is the DX7 Pro similar to the other Toppings?

The DX7 Pro was their top-end combination DAC/amp, based on the ESS 9038PRO DAC. When they work, they are a pretty decent unit, but I wasn't happy with the amp section when using my Sennheiser HD800 cans. Just wasn't powerful enough to drive them to the levels I listen at, which admittedly are louder than many as I have to overcome my neurological tinnitus. To power them adequately, I mated mine with a Topping A90 amplifier, which pairs beautifully with the HD800, IMO.

They are also popular as both the pre-amp and output stage op-amps are socketed and easily replaced and/or upgraded to alternatives like Burson or Sparkos. The new version called the DX7 Pro+ no longer has this capability and is a different chassis design as well.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #484 of 507
Yeah DX7 Pro HP out is meh. Not powerful enough and not so clean. Even Topping new PA3s is better.

Dec 31, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #485 of 507
It can be made to work. But you absolutely must replace the stock opamps (Burson Vivids work well), and it works best with efficient, easy to drive cans (Grados, low impedance Audio-Technicas etc).

May 26, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #486 of 507
It can be made to work. But you absolutely must replace the stock opamps (Burson Vivids work well), and it works best with efficient, easy to drive cans (Grados, low impedance Audio-Technicas etc).
I've used Sparkos and Burson, quite enjoyed both and it definitely helped with the HP output. For high impedance it's probably not the best though.

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #488 of 507
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to get a DX7 Pro for a good price but I have a few questions…

Does it still hold up today?

Is it reliable, it has just become out of warranty, it won’t die in a few months?

I’ll hook it up to a Samsung TV, are there any issues?

It’ll replace a Beresford Bushmaster, will I see much improvement? I tried an E50 and found no difference…

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #489 of 507
Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to get a DX7 Pro for a good price but I have a few questions…

Does it still hold up today?

Is it reliable, it has just become out of warranty, it won’t die in a few months?

I’ll hook it up to a Samsung TV, are there any issues?

It’ll replace a Beresford Bushmaster, will I see much improvement? I tried an E50 and found no difference…

Thanks!
My unit does not work well on my Samsung tv via spdif. Audio stutters every second in broadcasts. But Netflix works.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #491 of 507
What’s the model? Is it a problem with all Samsung tvs? The E50 didn’t show any issues
Samsung QE55Q64RA. I don't know but it only happens with this DX7 Pro. Maybe a bug. Otherwise I'm happy with the DX7 Pro. It's easier to tune sound ur liking when u can do op-amp swap easily. Only the hp output is bad. Not worth ur money. Even L30 II is alot better and only 150eur.

Edit. Safe bet for you is to buy a new model that has a warranty and you can return it if it does not work.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #492 of 507
Samsung QE55Q64RA. I don't know but it only happens with this DX7 Pro. Maybe a bug. Otherwise I'm happy with the DX7 Pro. It's easier to tune sound ur liking when u can do op-amp swap easily. Only the hp output is bad. Not worth ur money. Even L30 II is alot better and only 150eur.

Edit. Safe bet for you is to buy a new model that has a warranty and you can return it if it does not work.
Thanks! I know but I won’t get anything similar for €250

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #494 of 507
What’s the model? Is it a problem with all Samsung tvs? The E50 didn’t show any issues

Just a FYI - I use my DX7 Pro with SPDIF from my Hisense 75U88KM and it works perfectly. I tend to wear headphones or IEMs almost all the time I'm watching as they are better at overpowering my tinnitus, so mine has seen a LOT of use.

Others may remember I had a run of bad luck where my original DX7 Pro failed and had to be sent back to China for warranty repair. While it was out for repair, I came across another DX7 Pro being sold by another head-fi member so I picked it up.

Alas it too failed within 1 week - on both units the MCU died. Topping did send me a couple of the MCUs rather than me returning the 2nd unit for an out-of-warranty repair. Topping sent my original unit back after repairing it and I've been using it heavily since - it's on 24 hrs a day since I got it back in Jan. 2023.

I haven't repaired the 2nd DX7 Pro as I need to buy some parts for my surface mount rework station, but that will happen soon. I may decide to sell the 2nd unit but I may keep it as a spare. I love the combo of it for use with my IEMs on a 4.4mm terminated cable and then XLR to my Topping A90 amp for my full-size cans, mainly my SDR modded Sennheiser HD800.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #495 of 507
I am absolutely racking my brain trying to find this supposed 'sound mode' setting in the settings menu, it does not exist past #15 which is 'save and exit'. Using M on the remote doesn't do anything either while the manual says pressing M on the remote should eventually bring it up. The menu doesn't go past 15 steps.
"Sound mode setting (16th in setup menu)"

• Sound mode setting (Available for remote control setting

• TOPPING-DX7-Pro-DAC-and-Headphone-Amp-fig-30
This is not in the menu anywhere, I've gone thru it for a good 5 mins, only take a few secs to go thru the whole menu over and over...anyone know where this is?

There is no 'sound mode' anywhere in the menu but according to the manual its supposed to be there.
https://manuals.plus/topping/dx7-pro-dac-and-headphone-amp-manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back