Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #151 of 507
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #152 of 507
Did the Bursons fit?
I don't know yet. But I'm getting the parts in this week.

That 10 is in balanced output correct? is the single output of 5 expectable?
If I recall correctly balanced is 10 ohm. I use only balanced somehow it's a bit cleaner sounding for my Takstar HF580. If you plan to buy 4.3mm balanced adapter. Don't buy the corded they usually aren't that good if you go cheap ones. Buy the plug only. They are a bit harder to find.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #153 of 507
It does not fit. It's very tight fit already, the op-amp is touching the fins. It need custom case for more protection and dust cover. I'm now listening V6 Classic. It's very bright. I'm now using brickwall filter. A bit helped to overly bright high treble. Less grainy than original op-amp and that means less micro details.

For classic music it seemed to work perfectly. Not sure about different styles... I think like it. It's not 100% tube sound but something to that way. It kind off gave more "dynamic" sound. It works nicely to vocals too. It giving smooth sound signature and not too overly detailed that you hear all artifacts.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #154 of 507
It does not fit. It's very tight fit already that the op-amp is touching the fins. It need custom case for more protection and dust cover. I'm now listening V6 Classic. It's very bright. I'm now using brickwall filter. A bit helped to overly bright high treble. Less grainy than original op-amp and that means less micro details.

For classic music it seemed to work perfectly. Not sure about different styles... I think like it. It's not 100% tube sound but something to that way. It kind off gave more "dynamic" sound. It works nicely to vocals too. It giving smooth sound signature and not too overly detailed that you hear all artifacts.
This is what your looking for...
https://development-sparkoslabs.staging.wpmudev.host/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/

updated link: https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...labs.com/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #155 of 507
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #157 of 507
yes, youtuber recommended.

Nice, review I was expecting those op-amps to be also more bright. I don't hate it just my ears are picky for high frequencies. It's going to be costy if you go for Sparkos or Burson Audio and replace all four op-amps :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #158 of 507
Nice, review I was expecting those op-amps to be also more bright. I don't hate it just my ears are picky for high frequencies. It's going to be costy if you go for Sparkos or Burson Audio and replace all four op-amps :)
Seems worthwhile if you could get the sound of a $2000 DAC (Hugo 2) . Well I wouldn't know but the reviewer seems to. I'm torn between this dac or some new cans right now. #firstworldproblems

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #159 of 507
Seems worthwhile if you could get the sound of a $2000 DAC (Hugo 2) . Well I wouldn't know but the reviewer seems to. I'm torn between this dac or some new cans right now. #firstworldproblems
Yup, but I haven't heared Hugo2. I would say go for this dac/amp and get new headphones. You can also mod headphones if you want to go learning route to get hi-fi quality for less price or upgrade hi-fi for better.

I have start to like more BA V6 Classic op-amp. It has natural tone to it and crisp. For downsides it's too big that you need consider new diy case for it. I would also to hear Sperkos op-amp. Maybe in near future I can compare those two.

Edit. Sorry I was not focused what you did to say.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #160 of 507
2nd day listening with BA V6 Classic. I enjoy a lot more to listen vocal, pop and old styled music. Vocals are so catchy. More space with sound waves, it's a bit softer sounding and more 3D dimensional. Also melancholic is more fun and it should not supposed to be :rolling_eyes: Also low quality recordings sound a lot cleaner. That is nice welcome. I mostly hate to listen low quality audio because the artifacts popping in ur face too much.

I can do more op-amp rolling in this weekend with dual to mono LME49990 and some OPA2604 to see if it get any better than LME49720.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #161 of 507
I have some personal experiences of all those four op-amps to share. I'm impressed they all sound so different. Mostly elegent sound is Burson Audio V6 Classic. LME49990 is a bit more analytical, focused to more micro details and clean sound. BA V6 is more personal sounding and softer. It makes your inside happier. OPA2604 was kind of nice but there was some problems at details and transparency. It was a bit weird there. For my take LME49990 dual to mono is super nice for the price. It's better then orginal op-amp and does not cost to you arm&leg. But if you want pure joy and don't care how much it cost go for Burson Audio. There is available Classic and Vivid. I only tested classic version. I test in near future too Sparkos op-amp. So my impression my change or not :)

LME49720 is around a dollar piece. LME49990 dual to mono is 8 dollar. OPA2604 is 50 snt. Burson Audio op-amp is 80 dollar a piece.

This impression was with Yarland FV-34C amplifier and Quad 12L speakers.

Dynamics
BA V6 Classic
LME49990
OPA2604
LME49720

Color and texture
BA V6 Classic
OPA2604
LME49990
LME49720

Transparency
BA V6 Classic
LME49990
LME49720
OPA2604

Details
LME49990
BA V6 Classic
LME49720
OPA2604

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #162 of 507
I have some personal experiences of all those four op-amps to share. I'm impressed they all sound so different. Mostly elegent sound is Burson Audio V6 Classic. LME49990 is a bit more analytical, focused to more micro details and clean sound. BA V6 is more personal sounding and softer. It makes your inside happier. OPA2604 was kind of nice but there was some problems at details and transparency. It was a bit weird there. For my take LME49990 dual to mono is super nice for the price. It's better then orginal op-amp and does not cost to you arm&leg. But if you want pure joy and don't care how much it cost go for Burson Audio. There is available Classic and Vivid. I only tested classic version. I test in near future too Sparkos op-amp. So my impression my change or not :)

LME49720 is around a dollar piece. LME49990 dual to mono is 8 dollar. OPA2604 is 50 snt. Burson Audio op-amp is 80 dollar a piece.

This impression was with Yarland FV-34C amplifier and Quad 12L speakers.

Dynamics
BA V6 Classic
LME49990
OPA2604
LME49720

Color and texture
BA V6 Classic
OPA2604
LME49990
LME49720

Transparency
BA V6 Classic
LME49990
LME49720
OPA2604

Details
LME49990
BA V6 Classic
LME49720
OPA2604
What other dac/amps have you tried so far and how do they compare to the DX7 Pro here. I was thinking of another dac a little more premium than this but that unit has a narrow soundstage compared to this guy and the DX7 specs are near the best of them out there. Even with my modest headphone assembly this dac alone could be Overkill... just love a good dac when I see one. And the fact you can change/alter the headphone output flavor... it's seems to be an insane deal.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #163 of 507
What other dac/amps have you tried so far and how do they compare to the DX7 Pro here. I was thinking of another dac a little more premium than this but that unit has a narrow soundstage compared to this guy and the DX7 specs are near the best of them out there. Even with my modest headphone assembly this dac alone could be Overkill... just love a good dac when I see one. And the fact you can change/alter the headphone output flavor... it's seems to be an insane deal.
I haven't done really direct comparison to anything. There was no competion. Latest pre-amp dac I had was XiangSheng DAC-01. I was looking better quality DAC for it even I liked pre-amp feature. It uses 6N3 tube for the pre-amp but right channel did go to dead I did not how to fix it. Before that that I was using Musiland Monitor US 03 Dragon. It was decent, clean sounding but lacked energy. When I got the XiangSheng DAC only used Musiland's optical output for it.

My secondry set is FX Audio DAC-X6 + Breeze Audio 2.1 channel TPA5613. I use this for TV use and with my diy vibration speakers :) I think I did compare in the past XiangSheng and FX-Audio and XiangSheng was better. Cleaner sounding and better dynamics.

Also XiangSheng headphone output is weak I needed stronger output for power hungry headphones. I have saved a lot money in the past not going too crazy on equipments. But this Topping DX7 Pro seems good end-game for me now.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #164 of 507
I'm using the DX 7 Pro with Burson Audio Vivid V6, just two. And the lme 47720 in the LFE or LPF section.

It is a smooth sound, and is definitely less fatiguing when used as the buffer. I didn't notice much difference in the LPF/LFE position eith the stock 47720 op amp as the buffer.. They also seem to run a bit warm, there is nothing wrong with this.

I bought the DX7 Pro for portable use with HD 800 and SR mod [with dekoni hybrid pads and a new headpad...]

So far I need to figure out how to fit them into the dx7pro chassis. I may mill out the top panel, soon. ...

Alternatively I'll try the SparkOS 3602. I believe those fit in the chassis and are worth a try as posted measurements are best for them. SPARKOS products are also made in the US which is jist unusual these days, and is something to look forward to for me personally.

I am hearing "more "Music" with the vivid v6 as the buffer than I did when the lme 47720 was the buffer for the AD8397

The bass is better for sure than with the stock op amp, snare drums and any "percussive-esq" sound effects seem more fleshed out.

So far I am pleased with the vivid v6.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #165 of 507
I'm using the DX 7 Pro with Burson Audio Vivid V6, just two. And the lme 47720 in the LFE or LPF section.

It is a smooth sound, and is definitely less fatiguing when used as the buffer. I didn't notice much difference in the LPF/LFE position eith the stock 47720 op amp as the buffer.. They also seem to run a bit warm, there is nothing wrong with this.

I bought the DX7 Pro for portable use with HD 800 and SR mod [with dekoni hybrid pads and a new headpad...]

So far I need to figure out how to fit them into the dx7pro chassis. I may mill out the top panel, soon. ...

Alternatively I'll try the SparkOS 3602. I believe those fit in the chassis and are worth a try as posted measurements are best for them. SPARKOS products are also made in the US which is jist unusual these days, and is something to look forward to for me personally.

I am hearing "more "Music" with the vivid v6 as the buffer than I did when the lme 47720 was the buffer for the AD8397

The bass is better for sure than with the stock op amp, snare drums and any "percussive-esq" sound effects seem more fleshed out.

So far I am pleased with the vivid v6.
I did notice 4 op amp positions there to play with, (what does OP stand for?) do all 4 need to match? and as mentioned why 4 when there only left right channels? #newbherewatchout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back