Topping DX7 Pro - DAC and balanced headphone AMP with ES9038pro and Bluetooth 5.0
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #166 of 507
I've ordered my Topping DX7 Pro today and i am really excited about this little device :)

Are there any affordable OP Amps to start with? I don't want to buy 4 Sparko op amps for 80 euros each :gs1000smile:
Or should i just replace the 2 OP Amps at the front?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #168 of 507
Ive got one of this. It's a very nice machine.
I did not rolled any of the op amps, but if you finally do, pls report results and pictures of the process please! As I may be interested as well.
One question. Do you alter the op amps on dac or amp? Would the dac change its signature if only amp side is changed? Is it even possible!?

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #169 of 507
I've ordered my Topping DX7 Pro today and i am really excited about this little device :)

Are there any affordable OP Amps to start with? I don't want to buy 4 Sparko op amps for 80 euros each :gs1000smile:
Or should i just replace the 2 OP Amps at the front?

From reading different forums it looks like you only need to replace the 2 op amps use for headphones. You can try out higher end TI op amps etc as well. they only cost a few dollars each vs the stock one which are about $1 each.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #173 of 507
I have not changed filters. I'm ok with filter 4. Which is stock for the DX7 Pro 9038 PRO

I just ordered 4 SparkOS 3602 Op amps.

I am hoping for the same or improved change from the Burson Audio V6 Vivid I mentioned earlier.
I'll see how it goes.

I thought of just using 49990 in the LFE positions, but I really may want all four instead...

If this get interesting I may perform major surgery on my dx7 Pro to make the Burson Vivid V6 fit.:)

I may just use a 140W soldering heat gun and grind the v6 Vivid casing a bit to fit inside the dx 7 pro chassis after the op amp sockets have been removed from the DX7 Pro. Just solder it in.

Very Carefully.

Attachments

• 20201208_112244.jpg
    20201208_112244.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #174 of 507
I have not changed filters. I'm ok with filter 4. Which is stock for the DX7 Pro 9038 PRO

I am hoping for the same or improved change from the Burson Audio V6 Vivid I mentioned earlier.
I'll see how it goes.

I thought of just using 49990 in the LFE positions, but I really may want all four instead...

If this get interesting I may perform major surgery on my dx7 Pro to make the Burson Vivid V6 fit.:)

I may just use a 140W soldering heat gun and grind the v6 Vivid casing a bit to fit inside the dx 7 pro chassis after the op amp sockets have been removed from the DX7 Pro. Just solder it in.

Very Carefully.
I'm so glad you got the SparkOS.. anxious to here the comparisons to the Burson and stock OP amps.. Keep us posted please! (and I'd wait on modding anything until after the SparkOS roll.. you might prefer them instead). :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #175 of 507

I'll see how it goes.

Very Carefully.

Do the Burson V6 in this picture fit out of the box into the DX7 pro?

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #176 of 507
Dear Domji,
Not without removing the DIP-8 socket first and soldering directly to the dx7 Pro board. Then they fit for certain.
Here is my weapon of choice these sonic changes are being heard with: Original HD 800 serial/n 2662 with new pads, + headpad and SDR resonators from Sorrodje. This HD 800 may be nearly 11 years old, but they still sound perfectly balanced and Like-New (I've had them for about a month, so by this time I'm very familiar with how they sound)

On HD 800 and the DX7 Pro... with Dekoni hybrid pads, and even, finally a new headpad replacement from Sennheiser for the one that was original and 10 Years old, (you do not want to see that it was Original... and I believe the previous owner, Ebay,- was just-about bald because it needed to be replaced quite badly... I mean it was 10 going on 11 years old!!)
Okanyway it hadn't been replaced in 11 years.

A full 2.5" distance between my ears and the 2.25" (56mm) driver really help for the driver as large as the HD-800s. The memory foam in the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads is also Really thick, qnd it is "extra" dense (when cold the pads feels almost frozen Stiff! So I can actually recommend these) too which is really Good for such meaty HD 800 pads. The sonic Presentation from this driver over your ears benefits from this extra distance and The Low Frequency and sass, as measurement of the Hybrid elite have been made is also just a tad meatier.

Dekoni did a great job on the pads. I've also liked Vesper pads

These Meatier sounding Dekoni hybrids assist the Dx7 Pro and Burson-amplifier Buffer combination as well. Over the stock HD 800, from out of the ESS 9038 PRO.

Further exploring this thought with the reader, The 9038 Pro is a lean sounding DAC, it is fast and accurate but thin, but with the Burson Buffer the percussion and fast decaying music sound-fX playback as well as the bass line' are improved to the level of "more "music"ally enjoyable than with the integrated 47720.

And it approaches a quite enjoyable experience. I am skeptical about a discrete op amp improving the bass a bit further than already done with the vivid as a buffer, in the Low Frequency extension op☆amp position but will tey because I am hoping the low frequency does improve further.

I'm skeptical, but ready to try it with an ear full of skepticism... given that it's just the low frequency filter op amp...

Thumbs up to Topping for the DX7 PRO Op Amp rolling design... Thanks!

The DX7 PRO is a special design. Can't enjoy it enough with the Burson V6 replacement.

I have had the hybrid memory foam, perforated leather, fabric ear surface, these Dekoni pads only since yesterday.. but I did make sure to usethe DX7 pro, Stock, (no op amp rolling) for one full day with Hybrid Dekoni pads before making the change..

Hoping that some combination of the 2 or 4 spark OS 3602 and, or 2 Burson Vivid V6 is worth a certain improvement and at least most of their expense!

So far I have been appreciating the vivid v6.

Attachments

• 20201207_174654.jpg
    20201207_174654.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201207_174209.jpg
    20201207_174209.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #177 of 507
Miksuu: and other readers and DX7 Pro appreciation! If not lovers... as I am right now
Do you find the Low Fequency extension position discreet op amp makes any difference or not really?

Would you like me to mail you two pieces of the Spark 3602 Op amps for comparison? We would appreciate your opinion as well to add to the already impressive list of discreet op amps you already have. You could have them by next Wednesday or sooner. ❤ So far I am not willing to part with the Vivid v6... but maybe in a few more days when the other Discreets arrive.
I only want to try all four together for up to a day first.

What about the Burson vividV6 I have? I can lend you them if you lend me one of your Op amps, maybe the Classic v6!!

I'd be excited to try the Classic with the Spark OS in the two different positions. I think I would prefer the vivid, but I want you to try them too.

A Picture,

Portable balanced DX7 PRO without the case for Testing purposes! Discrete op amps sound great portably. I'm Swinging at 'em with the vivid!
Thanks Topping and Burson. This Is INDEED vivid. From the DX7 pro 9038.

The vivid is basically perfect. I listened for maybe around 8 hours on the go with the stock lme47720 over the past few days and the vivid is more Vivid indeed. . What a relieving upgrade for the HD 800 over the IC op amps...

Edit: The vivid is so great. I'm way happier... this is also the best I have heard the HD 800 sound so far. It is especially evident on the treadmill checking on the captioned telivision and reading the magazine etc at the Gym. I think if the 3602 are as good as this I'll be really impressed. The percussion. Sound effects and especially bass are preferred

The DX7 Pro is ALSO now able To overdrive the headphone Bass in some songs, a feat that it was not capable of doing before the V6!! 200MW is a lot into the HD 800... only at the Maximum setting though. When turned down one notch it is perfect.

And I will note that it really is vivid. An excellent upgrade; This op amp is making the 9038 Pro signal really Shine when compared with the 47720!
Very happy with the audio.

To IC op amps as buffers for the powerful ad8397 i can report that the discrete product is less fatiguing in the highs and the sound is safely improved, if only slightly (this isn't that slight), the appreciable difference is both marked and tangible.

Did I say the vivid v6 discreete op amps run warm? I am grateful that the Burson Vivid v6 can be upgraded easily in the DX7 Pro

https://tidal.com/track/63886369
https://tidal.com/track/79290313

https://tidal.com/track/4527434
https://tidal.com/track/144319231

Attachments

• 20201208_165333.jpg
    20201208_165333.jpg
  • Screenshot_20201208-180611_TIDAL.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208-180611_TIDAL.jpg
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #178 of 507
Dear Domji,
Not without removing the DIP-8 socket first and soldering directly to the dx7 Pro board. Then they fit for certain.
Here is my weapon of choice these sonic changes are being heard with: Original HD 800 serial/n 2662 with new pads, + headpad and SDR resonators from Sorrodje. This HD 800 may be nearly 11 years old, but they still sound perfectly balanced and Like-New (I've had them for about a month, so by this time I'm very familiar with how they sound)

On HD 800 and the DX7 Pro... with Dekoni hybrid pads, and even, finally a new headpad replacement from Sennheiser for the one that was original and 10 Years old, (you do not want to see that it was Original... and I believe the previous owner, Ebay,- was just-about bald because it needed to be replaced quite badly... I mean it was 10 going on 11 years old!!)
Okanyway it hadn't been replaced in 11 years.

A full 2.5" distance between my ears and the 2.25" (56mm) driver really help for the driver as large as the HD-800s. The memory foam in the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads is also Really thick, qnd it is "extra" dense (when cold the pads feels almost frozen Stiff! So I can actually recommend these) too which is really Good for such meaty HD 800 pads. The sonic Presentation from this driver over your ears benefits from this extra distance and The Low Frequency and sass, as measurement of the Hybrid elite have been made is also just a tad meatier.

Dekoni did a great job on the pads. I've also liked Vesper pads

These Meatier sounding Dekoni hybrids assist the Dx7 Pro and Burson-amplifier Buffer combination as well. Over the stock HD 800, from out of the ESS 9038 PRO.

Further exploring this thought with the reader, The 9038 Pro is a lean sounding DAC, it is fast and accurate but thin, but with the Burson Buffer the percussion and fast decaying music sound-fX playback as well as the bass line' are improved to the level of "more "music"ally enjoyable than with the integrated 47720.

And it approaches a quite enjoyable experience. I am skeptical about a discrete op amp improving the bass a bit further than already done with the vivid as a buffer, in the Low Frequency extension op☆amp position but will tey because I am hoping the low frequency does improve further.

I'm skeptical, but ready to try it with an ear full of skepticism... given that it's just the low frequency filter op amp...

Thumbs up to Topping for the DX7 PRO Op Amp rolling design... Thanks!

The DX7 PRO is a special design. Can't enjoy it enough with the Burson V6 replacement.

I have had the hybrid memory foam, perforated leather, fabric ear surface, these Dekoni pads only since yesterday.. but I did make sure to usethe DX7 pro, Stock, (no op amp rolling) for one full day with Hybrid Dekoni pads before making the change..

Hoping that some combination of the 2 or 4 spark OS 3602 and, or 2 Burson Vivid V6 is worth a certain improvement and at least most of their expense!

So far I have been appreciating the vivid v6.
Wooooow and thanks for this very detailed description. This is really great, thank you 😃

I am pretty new to all this op amp rolling stuff. Do you think that removing the 8 dip socket is something a newbie can easylie do?

Did you mean the small black parts that the guy removes in this Video?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-supreme-sound-opamp-v6-vivid-and-classic.23186/reviews

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #179 of 507
No, I wouldn't recommend this as an easy swap at all. You have to desolder the black receptacles that are already in the dx7 main board. Not for the feint of heart whatsoever. I am not sure I will try unless the vivid are that much better than the spark os. You could break the dx7. Not recommended.
I would probably just machine out the top plate before trying to desolder the dip 8 sockets, clean and solder in the vivid v6, but I will see.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #180 of 507
Thank you very much. You helped me a lot.

I think in this case i should better look at some smaller op amps like the Sparkos or Burson V5i 😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back