Topping D90
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #871 of 1,101
To answer a couple of posts earlier, I agree it would be wrong to say that balanced is always better than single ended. But there are cases where it absolutely is, such as my case. My situation is that my room stereo is just as important to me as my headphone listening. The power amplifier for my speakers is an ATC P1 Pro that has both connections. In the manual the manufacturer "strongly" recommends using the balanced connectors. Since the V281 headphone amplifier has balanced in and out connections and is a terrific preamp for my stereo it's a no-brainer to go balanced from dac to preamp to amplifier. Since I buy my components one at a time, mostly pre-owned, it seems that buying devices with balanced connections future proofs your system. When I bought the D90 I didn't need balanced outputs because I was using a different preamp. Then when I got the V281 later I was glad it had them

True, for balance device (dac/amp) at most of the time their balance would better than single ended because you use 4 boards of amplification (balance) instead of 1 board (SE).

However, if we compare amp let's say with same price, one is full balance, at the other one is purely single ended, then no one knows which one would sound better. SE has benefit as use much less components inside, lead to able use higher quality of audio parts (capacitor, resistor, potentiometer, PSU, etc). I do agree when everything is equal (all parts inside) that balance should be better, however balance also would be much more expensive in term of cost.

When you compared Topping D90SE to Qutest, was D90SE using its balanced outputs (into what?) vs Qutest's single-ended output only?
I use Qutest with Shanti LPS happily, but I am in need of another DAC with balanced outputs for another system. I don't need/want any more bass quantity/impact but wouldn't mind trying a bit more forward mid/treble, not necesarily needing "fuller" mids but maybe more dense and sparkling.

D90SE with XLR Out to Singxer SA1, and Qutest with RCA Out to Singxer as well. I need to adjust the volume manual by using 1000Hz tone as reference (to make sure they at same dB) because D90SE has higher output. Headphone is Abyss Diana V2.

If what you are looking for is more dense, sparkling, and forward mid than Qutest, then yes, D90SE should be the right choice.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #872 of 1,101
I have been lucky enough to join a (very rare) Australian loaner tour for the Topping D90SE. Thanks to @Loquah (passionforsound) for organising that and thanks to Apos Audio for providing the unit (you can buy it from them if you’re after one).

My preference in reviews, both when I’m writing mine or reading others’, is for relative comparisons. I find that much more useful and easier to write. So here, I’ll be mostly comparing the D90SE to my Schiit Modius. I have the two DAC’s grouped in Roon and the Modius into my Auralic Taurus balanced and the D90SE in SE. I tried them switched around too and with just the D90 connected to make sure there were no differences there and there weren’t. Most of my testing was into Focal Clear headphones or Mr Speakers Ether CX.

But first some non-sound impressions. There’s really not much to say about the build quality, it’s identical to all Topping’s desktop gear. That is, solid, very functional but very plain/generic aesthetically. I personally don’t like it aesthetically, but that’s personal preference only. I didn’t play with any of the filters on this. So all I used were the power and volume buttons on the front. They are fine, they feel solid enough, but again, pretty generic felling, not premium. I didn’t use the remote.

On to sound in comparison to the Modius. The first and by far the most important thing to say is these two sound VERY similar. I am not a DACnostic who thinks there’s no difference between DACs. I have AB’d quite a few different DACs like this: Modi3 v Schiit MB DAC module v Eitr>Mimby v Modius. Modius v D90SE was closer than any of those comparisons. That’s probably not a great reflection on the D90 given the price difference. Blind, I definitely struggle to pick these apart. I blinded myself a bunch of times by switching quickly so I lost track of where I was and then tried to pick which was which. I reckon I was around 50-50 at getting it right.

On some recordings, I could definitely pick a difference. That difference is what you would expect for Topping/Sabre v Schiit/AKM, namely the D90SE was ever-so-slightly clearer, sharper or more focused, creating a very slight sense of more space/air and slightly better detail retrieval. But that comes at the cost of a very, very slight treble glare at times. To stress again, these differences were tiny.

I didn’t identify that slightly digital character, that sort of limpness that some Topping gear has to my ears, like the A90. I personally don’t like that so was looking for it. But it’s likely that’s more of an amplification character and so coming via the Taurus was absent.

The D90SE produces a hair more sub bass quantity and slightly better bass texture/detail. It’s slightly thinner and clearer through the mids but overall they have a very similar tonal balance.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. For an excellent and more detailed review, check out @Loquah's passionforsound review here. He compares it to more appropriately priced gear like the Bifrost 2.

Would I recommend it? If you like the Topping house sound and have other Topping gear you want to match a DAC with and have the budget, then yeah it’s probably decent choice. I prefer the tonality of the Modius, but I like the clarity of the D90 when it’s evident. My perfect DAC would a combo of those. So if I was going to spend this kind of money, I think I’d be looking elsewhere.

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #873 of 1,101
But first some non-sound impressions. There’s really not much to say about the build quality, it’s identical to all Topping’s desktop gear.
It brings my memory of Topping D30 (now in a bottom drawer), visually fine, but no more Topping, crap sound.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #874 of 1,101
I learned that some DAC with MQA decoder puts ALL content, regardless of whether it is MQA or not, through the MQA decoder/filter
How is this going to impact the sound of non-MQA content ?
Does the D90 MQA have an option to disable MQA Decoder/Filters ?

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #875 of 1,101
I learned that some DAC with MQA decoder puts ALL content, regardless of whether it is MQA or not, through the MQA decoder/filter
How is this going to impact the sound of non-MQA content ?
Does the D90 MQA have an option to disable MQA Decoder/Filters ?
If it's doing this (which I highly doubt - the DAC clearly detects MQA and shows on the display when it's active) I haven't noticed a degradation in sound quality.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #876 of 1,101
Hey there! Has anyone tried to compare IFI iDSD micro BL with D90? I really like BL's warm sound. Does D90 have something similar?

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #877 of 1,101
Hey there! Has anyone tried to compare IFI iDSD micro BL with D90? I really like BL's warm sound. Does D90 have something similar?
I would not describe the D90 (or any of Topping's range that I've heard) as warm. That's very much more iFi's house sound. If that's what you're looking for, Chord may be to your taste.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #878 of 1,101
I would not describe the D90 (or any of Topping's range that I've heard) as warm. That's very much more iFi's house sound. If that's what you're looking for, Chord may be to your taste.
Thanks. I've tried Chord and for me, it's too dry. As well as other IFI's products. Looks like Black Label is the only warm DAC from IFI's lineup.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #879 of 1,101
That's very much more iFi's house sound.

It is indeed, yes!

Looks like Black Label is the only warm DAC from IFI's lineup.

Many of our products share the same sound aesthetic that's neutral leaning towards warm. If you'd like sound signature a bit faster and more open (not as warm though!) that micro iDSD BL, micro iDSD Signature would be the one and micro iDSD Diablo even more so.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 10, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #880 of 1,101
I have been lucky enough to join a (very rare) Australian loaner tour for the Topping D90SE. Thanks to @Loquah (passionforsound) for organising that and thanks to Apos Audio for providing the unit (you can buy it from them if you’re after one).

My preference in reviews, both when I’m writing mine or reading others’, is for relative comparisons. I find that much more useful and easier to write. So here, I’ll be mostly comparing the D90SE to my Schiit Modius. I have the two DAC’s grouped in Roon and the Modius into my Auralic Taurus balanced and the D90SE in SE. I tried them switched around too and with just the D90 connected to make sure there were no differences there and there weren’t. Most of my testing was into Focal Clear headphones or Mr Speakers Ether CX.

But first some non-sound impressions. There’s really not much to say about the build quality, it’s identical to all Topping’s desktop gear. That is, solid, very functional but very plain/generic aesthetically. I personally don’t like it aesthetically, but that’s personal preference only. I didn’t play with any of the filters on this. So all I used were the power and volume buttons on the front. They are fine, they feel solid enough, but again, pretty generic felling, not premium. I didn’t use the remote.

On to sound in comparison to the Modius. The first and by far the most important thing to say is these two sound VERY similar. I am not a DACnostic who thinks there’s no difference between DACs. I have AB’d quite a few different DACs like this: Modi3 v Schiit MB DAC module v Eitr>Mimby v Modius. Modius v D90SE was closer than any of those comparisons. That’s probably not a great reflection on the D90 given the price difference. Blind, I definitely struggle to pick these apart. I blinded myself a bunch of times by switching quickly so I lost track of where I was and then tried to pick which was which. I reckon I was around 50-50 at getting it right.

On some recordings, I could definitely pick a difference. That difference is what you would expect for Topping/Sabre v Schiit/AKM, namely the D90SE was ever-so-slightly clearer, sharper or more focused, creating a very slight sense of more space/air and slightly better detail retrieval. But that comes at the cost of a very, very slight treble glare at times. To stress again, these differences were tiny.

I didn’t identify that slightly digital character, that sort of limpness that some Topping gear has to my ears, like the A90. I personally don’t like that so was looking for it. But it’s likely that’s more of an amplification character and so coming via the Taurus was absent.

The D90SE produces a hair more sub bass quantity and slightly better bass texture/detail. It’s slightly thinner and clearer through the mids but overall they have a very similar tonal balance.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. For an excellent and more detailed review, check out @Loquah's passionforsound review here. He compares it to more appropriately priced gear like the Bifrost 2.

Would I recommend it? If you like the Topping house sound and have other Topping gear you want to match a DAC with and have the budget, then yeah it’s probably decent choice. I prefer the tonality of the Modius, but I like the clarity of the D90 when it’s evident. My perfect DAC would a combo of those. So if I was going to spend this kind of money, I think I’d be looking elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing the write-up!

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #881 of 1,101
HI all,
Just sharing my review on Topping D90SE (see here: Review) where I compared it with Denafrips Ares 2 and Schiit Bifrost 2.
Thanks @Loquah for the product tour.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #883 of 1,101
hi, I have D90SE pairing with Singxer SA-1, I've tried several times to listen between Line out Type : RCA out only, XLR only and RCA+XLR using USB from my PC using foobar, turnout that RCA only have bigger power , more clear and everything than XLR only or RCA+XLR, using XLR it should have more power yes?
is my D90SE defective?
thanks

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #884 of 1,101
Since the D90SE is emphatically not the D90--it uses a completely different chip and, as I understand it, has numerous other differences--is this thread the proper place to discuss the D90SE except to compare it directly to the D90?

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #885 of 1,101
Can you describe what settings and source you were using? The D90 AKM4499 is sensitive to the filter selection, and also the input bitrate/depth.
I only used the default setting. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to test different settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back