Topping D90
Jul 26, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #841 of 1,101
Just a hunch but I think your setup will sound terrific
So far it does! Really clean sound to it, coming from my TA-ZH1ES which leans a little warm this doesn’t seem to have any colouring. Biggest difference I’ve noticed so far is in the bass, it’s extremely clean, detailed and tight. Just sounds wonderful, particularly impactful on tracks where it kicks in. Need a lot more hours to gather my thoughts (and actually pay attention rather than flicking between test tracks and different HP’s lol) but so far very happy, also has more than enough power for everything that I’ve thrown at it, haven’t moved off low gain yet.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #842 of 1,101
Just want to add a note that D90SE sounds sublime! It does surprise me from the technical side (detail, imaging, extension), and also actually this dac is kind of engaging and energic. Not dark sounding product, but vocal body and bass punch is definitely the best from all Topping DACs, and some other competitors (SMSL and Cayin) at similar price range.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #843 of 1,101
Selling my AK topping D90 and allo usbridge signature player with allo shanti

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #846 of 1,101
Some great news for making use of the D90 BT functionality...

The Nintendo Switch System software release 13.0 added Bluetooth Audio support - yes the Nintendo Switch has always had the hardware capability, but it took Nintendo till now to figure out how to support BT Audio + 2 BT Controllers at the same time in the System Software.

The Nintendo Switch BT Audio sounds fine, and it is awesome/weird using Balanced headphone connections to the A90/TA-20 from the D90 MQA connected to the Nintendo Switch using BT input.

I haven't used the D90 MQA BT input very much at all up till now, but this Nintendo Switch BT Audio input to the D90 is great. I'm using my Hifiman HE6SE V2 via 4.4mm connected to the TA-20 (4-pin adapter) playing on the Switch connected to my D90 MQA right now.

I haven't bothered connecting BT headphones directly to the Switch yet, but that should be fun too.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #851 of 1,101
Hello,
I want to buy a D90, but I've two questions about it.
First, there is many difference with the SE version?

Also, I see that the D90 using one ak4499EQ, does it works in fully balanced?
Because the Gustard A22 have two ak4499EQ.

Thanks.
D90SE use flagship sabre chip in oppose of flagship akm chip on D90MQA. Both DAC able to work as balance.

I can't recall exactly how D90MQA sound, but based on what I felt about these two DACs when tried them at separate chances (with same set up), I prefer D90SE for better listening experience (smoother, punchier, bigger soundstage).

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #852 of 1,101
They had to come out with the D90 Scarcity Edition because the AKM factory burned down. So now they are falling back on the ubiquitous 9038. Not that this is a bad choice but there's already so many of them. It's a bit like buying a T-Ford, you can pick any color as long as it's black. The charm of the D90 is the AKM 4499 with it's special sound.

II wouldn't focus on the balanced output too much. Not that it is not fully balanced but the merits of the balanced connection. It is a bit louder and less susceptive to noise. But you still need good cables and the sound difference is minimal. It's better to have a good RCA cable than a mediocre XLR.

And MQA... I don't want to start a tangent but that is not good for online music (it's a marketing sham, not saying that it doesn't sound good but the business model is corrupt). Don't focus on it too much.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #854 of 1,101
Any views on the D90 vs the Qutest? I have the D90, thinking of a Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back