Topping D90
Sep 27, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #856 of 1,101
Of course you realize you will be giving up the balanced outputs. Maybe this is not important to you at this time but something to consider if you think you might upgrade to a balanced amp down the road
I do realize that, but I am not aware of balanced DACs in the 1-2k price range. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #857 of 1,101
I do realize that, but I am not aware of balanced DACs in the 1-2k price range. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
There is one below 1$k. Try this $900, or this combo with very good HPA. A discrete R2R NOS DAC, fully balanced output (and decoder), no need for MQA. Rediscover your old CD library.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #858 of 1,101
There is one below 1$k. Try this $900, or this combo with very good HPA. A discrete R2R NOS DAC, fully balanced output (and decoder), no need for MQA. Rediscover your old CD library.
Thanks. These are rather big, I need something with a modest footprint. R2R is certainly interesting. I am also interested in a Denafrips Ares II. There are many positive reviews, but the one downside I read about is that it is apparently less detailed than a D90 or Qutest.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #859 of 1,101
Thanks. These are rather big, I need something with a modest footprint. R2R is certainly interesting. I am also interested in a Denafrips Ares II. There are many positive reviews, but the one downside I read about is that it is apparently less detailed than a D90 or Qutest.
I didn't notice if you said you're using it as a preamp as well. If you are my opinion is keep the D90 and buy a good balanced preamp or integrated amp. It will be a whole new experience trust me. I wouldn't even consider using my D90 as a preamp. Very disappointing but I didn't buy it for that so it's okay. If I did need to use it as a preamp/DAC the D90 would have already been boxed up and sold

Right now my D90 in dac only mode is sounding so good I think it is a match or maybe even better than my Bel Canto DAC 2.7 that cost about four times as much if purchased new

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #860 of 1,101
I didn't notice if you said you're using it as a preamp as well. If you are my opinion is keep the D90 and buy a good balanced preamp or integrated amp. It will be a whole new experience trust me. I wouldn't even consider using my D90 as a preamp. Very disappointing but I didn't buy it for that so it's okay. If I did need to use it as a preamp/DAC the D90 would have already been boxed up and sold

Right now my D90 in dac only mode is sounding so good I think it is a match or maybe even better than my Bel Canto DAC 2.7 that cost about four times as much if purchased new
I use the D90 as DAC only. Balanced into the A90, and SE into the Feliks Euforia. Not used simultaneously, obviously..

Good to hear you like the D90. I like it too but wondering what could be a step up.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #862 of 1,101
The new Topping D10 Balanced, Topping D70 and D70S, D90, D90SE, etc.
I think you missed the part of a 1-2k budget and it being an upgrade from the D90 ..? :wink:

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #863 of 1,101
I use the D90 as DAC only. Balanced into the A90, and SE into the Feliks Euforia. Not used simultaneously, obviously..

Good to hear you like the D90. I like it too but wondering what could be a step up.
I don't know as much about this stuff as a lot of you guys do but I personally think you should look at upgrading the A90 rather than the D90. I run my D90 into a Vioectric V281 FE and that may be as far as I will be going at least for some time. The best part is the V281 is a spectacular preamp for my home stereo room. At one point I had planned that my headphone station would be separate from my home stereo but not anymore with the V281 doing so well for both

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #864 of 1,101
I don't know as much about this stuff as a lot of you guys do but I personally think you should look at upgrading the A90 rather than the D90. I run my D90 into a Vioectric V281 FE and that may be as far as I will be going at least for some time. The best part is the V281 is a spectacular preamp for my home stereo room. At one point I had planned that my headphone station would be separate from my home stereo but not anymore with the V281 doing so well for both
Yes I'm looking to upgrade the A90 as well. I only need it for headphones though.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #866 of 1,101
Of course you realize you will be giving up the balanced outputs. Maybe this is not important to you at this time but something to consider if you think you might upgrade to a balanced amp down the road

Topology speaking Single Ended is perform as great as single ended or for some people even more, of course everything back to implementation though.

Also, we don't need balance dac to enjoy the full performance of balance amp. Most balance amp nowadays convert Single Ended input become balance signal to feed the amplification board.

Any views on the D90 vs the Qutest? I have the D90, thinking of a Qutest.
When I compared D90SE to Qutest few days ago, my conclusion is Qutest remain a a little better in term of micro detail, and holographic soundstage. D90SE is more "impactful" through all spectrum, more forward sounding, with more energetic nature. Qutest deliver more fluid presentation with more organic vocal. D90SE is more aggressive in term of pace.

Character wise, Qutest is a little darker, with more laidback midrange and more relax bass when direct compare to D90SE.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #868 of 1,101
Topping d70s is better :v
D70S character would be closer to Qutest presentation, even though midrange is still cooler than Chord and not as fluid.

D70S definitely more relax/laidback compared to D90SE, that I believe these two DACs should be use with different set up to let them shine. D90Se is more about resolution, speed, and impact. D70S is present the details in polite and easy to listen way, but with softer and less dense tone.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #869 of 1,101
When I compared D90SE to Qutest few days ago, my conclusion is Qutest remain a a little better in term of micro detail, and holographic soundstage. D90SE is more "impactful" through all spectrum, more forward sounding, with more energetic nature. Qutest deliver more fluid presentation with more organic vocal. D90SE is more aggressive in term of pace.

Character wise, Qutest is a little darker, with more laidback midrange and more relax bass when direct compare to D90SE.
When you compared Topping D90SE to Qutest, was D90SE using its balanced outputs (into what?) vs Qutest's single-ended output only?
I use Qutest with Shanti LPS happily, but I am in need of another DAC with balanced outputs for another system. I don't need/want any more bass quantity/impact but wouldn't mind trying a bit more forward mid/treble, not necesarily needing "fuller" mids but maybe more dense and sparkling.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #870 of 1,101
To answer a couple of posts earlier, I agree it would be wrong to say that balanced is always better than single ended. But there are cases where it absolutely is, such as my case. My situation is that my room stereo is just as important to me as my headphone listening. The power amplifier for my speakers is an ATC P1 Pro that has both connections. In the manual the manufacturer "strongly" recommends using the balanced connectors. Since the V281 headphone amplifier has balanced in and out connections and is a terrific preamp for my stereo it's a no-brainer to go balanced from dac to preamp to amplifier. Since I buy my components one at a time, mostly pre-owned, it seems that buying devices with balanced connections future proofs your system. When I bought the D90 I didn't need balanced outputs because I was using a different preamp. Then when I got the V281 later I was glad it had them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back