Topping D90
May 25, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #241 of 1,101
Just pulled the trigger on a D90 from Apos. I currently own a D70 that served me well for the last 6 months. Am i in for a huge improvement? I use my D70 with a liquid platinum (XLR) and Hagerman Audio TUBA (RCA).

May 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #242 of 1,101
Just pulled the trigger on a D90 from Apos. I currently own a D70 that served me well for the last 6 months. Am i in for a huge improvement? I use my D70 with a liquid platinum (XLR) and Hagerman Audio TUBA (RCA).

To get the very best out of the D90 I would recommend using the I2S interface if at all possible, and using the balanced XLR output to your headphone amp.

May 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #243 of 1,101
I m planning on using the XLR to connect my Liquid platinum, as well as my THX 887. My TUBA tube amp uses only RCA so i ll have to use RCA for that amp.

BTW is there any way to use XLR output from the topping and connect two XLR amps (LP+887) at the same time? are Y-adapters recommended?

May 27, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #244 of 1,101
Hi, I just got this silver D90 DAC two days ago... to match with my integrated amplifier.

My initial impression, it's much wider, natural, airy soundstage, compared with my previous DX3 Pro (V.1). I can hear more layers of sound and music depth, easier to distinguish between music instruments (especially classical genres) and their position. It's good to listen all my favorite music collection again.

The D90 will get warm easily however, it is recommended to place at a well ventilated open area than closed shelves/cabinet.

Not sure how will D90 perform after hundred hours run in? Only time will tell. Enjoy music and cheers !

20200504_115531.jpg
turn off Blue Tooth and turn off XLR or RCA which ever you are not using and it will run super cool

May 27, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #245 of 1,101
I posted my issues on page 2. Consider yourself lucky. For me, USB input produces clicking when the signal ends, but worse, it produces a bit of noise, proving that the D90's USB power filtering isn't good. I don't hear any clicking or noise with optical input. I am certain that it's the D90 and not my amp at fault after trying various setups for hours with different DACs, and others have listened to my setup and confirmed it. I'm using XLR out so this isn't an unbalanced audio issue.

It's disappointing that people look at graphs showing immaculate low-noise graphs and think the D90 has good USB power filtering when it doesn't. It won't be an issue for those with clean USB power, but others aren't as fortunate.
I just came to realize the D90 has no power in the USB cable- it's one of the reasons its so quiet on USB- it demands no power from your source (PC?) so maybe try a different cable- any shielded USB 2 a to b should work - try the one that came with the D90 and then move on to better cable if you hear difference. I hope this helps. Mine is super black background noise when hooked into my PASS headphone amp- volume turned way up while music is paused and using the Etymotic ER4p.

May 27, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #246 of 1,101
The Topping D90 is still the least expensive DAC with the AK4499 DAC chip, so there isn't a real alternative. I never plan on using the USB input again, won't be using the flawed IIS inputs that others have reported, and I'm happy with optical input. Also, shipping back to China is horrendously expensive and would cost up to 25% of the unit itself. I'd rather just sell the unit locally if something new and improved is released in the future.
also did you update firmware? Look on topping http://www.tpdz.net/download - update your device and your computer drivers

May 27, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #247 of 1,101
turn off Blue Tooth and turn off XLR or RCA which ever you are not using and it will run super cool
Bluetooth is always OFF, XLR On only, perhaps I listen to XLR balanced output generates more heat. I listen to speaker system; connecting to 200Wpc integrated amplifier.

May 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #248 of 1,101
Didn't realize the upgrade remote was available until i read this thread, definitely well worth the cost. From order to delivery it only took 3 days (from Apos)

Much more tactile buttons and ergonomic feel, Topping should raise the price and include this remote with D90 and all other "high end" products

sorry about the terrible quality pics

20200527_091840.jpg20200527_091924.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #249 of 1,101
Which one is the upgraded version? The longer one came with my D90 and aside from the additional length, those remotes look identical.

May 27, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #251 of 1,101
A Chord Mojo owner here, looking for a desktop dac+headphone amp upgrade. How much of an upgrade, do you reckon, would the D90+A90 (or other similarly priced amp) stack be over the Mojo? Is the D90 closer to the Mojo or the Qutest in terms of quality? I don't care for DSD, Bluetooth and care little for MQA, though the latter might come handy at some point if Qobuz decide to adapt it.

May 27, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #253 of 1,101
is the MQA upgrade worth $100?
In the end the $100 difference when buying the D90 MQA + A90 + cables + shipping from China isn't enough to not get the newest D90 revision.

Besides with the current Covid-19 interference with commerce I'm erroring on the side of generosity when it comes to compensating businesses and people working hard to stay open and provide products and services I need and want to continue to have available. Sales volumes have taken a huge hit, and companies ability to use the cost advantages of scale are far less than expected when pricing products. Their costs are up and their sales are down, so if I can help keep them going during this crisis I will do so.

I didn't get the D90 MQA only for MQA I bought it because I was waiting for the A90 to arrive before I bought both. It was nice timing that allowed me to get the next revision of the D90 along with the new A90.

I'll try MQA in comparisons, and perhaps I'll hear improvements, but I'm hoping the new model will also have the little improvements that come with having been through the 1st generation in manufacturing and support - little things that don't make the spec sheet but improve the design or supportability.

It helped that there were several reviews / measurements / video's for the D90 MQA and Topping A90 just as I was pushing the Buy buttons, but I was already decided months ago which to get when they shipped. I'm getting used to integrating the extended delay's due to the Covid-19 effect into my purchase cycle.

There were a couple of last minute alternatives - not quite here yet - that also have the AK4499, but in the end you can only listen with one set of ears at a time.

Future DAC's if proven better and worthy of an upgrade in a year or so I'll consider them as well. Perhaps Topping will have a new DAC / Pre / Amp stack available by then too.

I would like to know if the D90 MQA upgrade of the XU-216 provides any measurable or audible improvement from the previous XU-208 now or if the extra processing power and RAM can be used to improve the D90 MQA with firmware updates:

"...
Another major improvement was utilizing the newest and the highest performance XMOS interface that was developed to date, the XU-216. Simply put, this interface has double the processing power (2000 MIPS) of XU-208 that sits in the regular D90, it has also 4 times the RAM size of second-generation XU-208 and 8 times the RAM capacity of first-generation X-U8. If this reads like some gibberish non-sense, in simpler words D90 MQA has the potential of sounding better than the regular D90 on the USB input, especially with Hi-Res PCM and DSD material that requires more RAM and much higher processing power.

If you thought that a full-MQA decoder is the only difference between the two units, you were mistaken. D90 MQA seems to have the latest and the newest technology, especially the digital side seems to be using the latest developments in the audio industry.
..."
https://www.smsl-topping.com/blog-New-product-2545/Topping-D90-MQA-Review-–-Majestic-Quick-Accurate-11533340.html

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #254 of 1,101
In the end the $100 difference when buying the D90 MQA + A90 + cables + shipping from China isn't enough to not get the newest D90 revision.

Besides with the current Covid-19 interference with commerce I'm erroring on the side of generosity when it comes to compensating businesses and people working hard to stay open and provide products and services I need and want to continue to have available. Their sales volume has taken a huge hit, and their ability to use the cost advantages of scale are far less than expected when pricing products. Their costs are up and their sales are down, if I can help keep them keep going during this crisis I will do so.

I didn't get the D90 MQA only for MQA I bought it because I was waiting for the A90 to arrive before I bought both. It was nice timing that allowed me to get the next revision of the D90 along with the new A90.

I'll try MQA in comparisons, and perhaps I'll hear improvements, but I'm hoping the new model will also have the little improvements that come with having been through the 1st generation in manufacturing and support - little things that don't make the spec sheet but improve the design or supportability.

It helped that there were several reviews / measurements / video's for the D90 MQA and Topping A90 just as I was pushing the Buy buttons, but I was already decided months ago which to get when they shipped. I'm kinda used to the extended delay's due to the Covid-19 effect.

There were a couple of last might alteratives, but in the end you can listen with one set of ears at a time, the others if proven better and worthy of upgrade in a year or so I'll consider them as well. Perhaps Topping will have a new DAC / Pre / Amp available by then too.

I would like to know if the XU-216 provides any measurable or audible improvement from the previous XU-208:

"...
Another major improvement was utilizing the newest and the highest performance XMOS interface that was developed to date, the XU-216. Simply put, this interface has double the processing power (2000 MIPS) of XU-208 that sits in the regular D90, it has also 4 times the RAM size of second-generation XU-208 and 8 times the RAM capacity of first-generation X-U8. If this reads like some gibberish non-sense, in simpler words D90 MQA has the potential of sounding better than the regular D90 on the USB input, especially with Hi-Res PCM and DSD material that requires more RAM and much higher processing power.

If you thought that a full-MQA decoder is the only difference between the two units, you were mistaken. D90 MQA seems to have the latest and the newest technology, especially the digital side seems to be using the latest developments in the audio industry.
..."
https://www.smsl-topping.com/blog-New-product-2545/Topping-D90-MQA-Review-–-Majestic-Quick-Accurate-11533340.html

that was sort of my view, in the end, that $100 isn't a large amount, just wasn't sure if others also felt that way about it

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back