Topping D90
May 28, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #271 of 1,101
Have any of you pro-audiophiles compared the D90 to the Pure Audio Lotus DAC5? I have the Lotus and I like it a lot. Once I found the right filter setting for it, it really sounds great coupled with the THX AAA 789. I have the Liquid Platinum Amp coming... I want to see how well tube rolling helps my system.

May 28, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #272 of 1,101
Have any of you pro-audiophiles compared the D90 to the Pure Audio Lotus DAC5? I have the Lotus and I like it a lot. Once I found the right filter setting for it, it really sounds great coupled with the THX AAA 789. I have the Liquid Platinum Amp coming... I want to see how well tube rolling helps my system.
I’m sure that $2k Pure Audio DAC5 is great But I would be looking at the musical paradise mp-d2 mk3 deluxe With all the upgrades for a tad less than 2k- but they probably don’t measure like the d90 and probably don’t reveal it all like a d90. My thought like my buddy said with the VACS and perfect eights always said - the dac shouldn’t be anything but truly transparent of the source - he said always warm it up with the amps and preamps And maybe wire after the dac but never Buy a veiled dac or source -

May 29, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #274 of 1,101
Check the instruction booklet-While unit is off on back toggle switch- use toggle switch on back while at the same time hold down power mode button on front until menu appears. Use up down to toggle through menu to find dac pre amp mode and turn it off- it’s number 3 line outside
Select lo mode dac NOT pre which is default.
Scroll to 11 o menu save and exit - it should’ve saved and volume up down will no longer have any affect on volume at all on front panel if done correctly

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #275 of 1,101
I have the D90 MQA and seem to have an issue with WASAPI not working with the official Topping drivers installed. With the Windows 10 class 2 drivers, it works fine, MQA works, but I don't have ASIO. With the Topping drivers, I get good ASIO, but WASAPI is broken and no MQA over WASAPI. Just FYI - if you need both ASIO and WASAPI to work, stay away from the MQA version because there's no working driving right now that provides both. The regular D90 shouldn't have this issue, according to their support. It has something to do with 32 bit audio not being supported by MQA libraries yet, they said once they support it, there will be a firmware upgrade, but who knows when that will happen.

May 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #276 of 1,101
I have the D90 MQA and seem to have an issue with WASAPI not working with the official Topping drivers installed. With the Windows 10 class 2 drivers, it works fine, MQA works, but I don't have ASIO. With the Topping drivers, I get good ASIO, but WASAPI is broken and no MQA over WASAPI. Just FYI - if you need both ASIO and WASAPI to work, stay away from the MQA version because there's no working driving right now that provides both. The regular D90 shouldn't have this issue, according to their support. It has something to do with 32 bit audio not being supported by MQA libraries yet, they said once they support it, there will be a firmware upgrade, but who knows when that will happen.

Thanks for the update. I prefer ASIO on my Arche with roon anyways (not that I hear the difference).

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #277 of 1,101
Thanks for the update. I prefer ASIO on my Arche with roon anyways (not that I hear the difference).
With ASIO, even on my speedy PC, I tend to get odd clicks and pops when I do other stuff on my computer, especially when I'm in Chrome. WASAPI is always clean, never have any issues with it - and it's also bitperfect. ASIO was made for when Windows didn't provide low level access to the audio device, like it does now with WASAPI exclusive mode. Unfortunately, a lot of software synths I use don't support WASAPI, only ASIO.

May 29, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #278 of 1,101
Anyone find the Topping D90 fatiguing? Im using the PASS headphone amp with Stealth Hybrid wire and man- the topping D90 its super clean dac with all the detail but I find is there ever a thing as too much detail in the highs? After some time listening I need to take a break. I even hooked up my 5 year old Dual Burr Brown Teac (UD301) DAC to see what warmth I was missing- sure enough the TEAC proved itself much nosier but warm but not as detailed. I needed to EQ w/ APO for the D90 to sound nearly perfect for me. My headphones are Etymotic ER4P and the Sennheiser HD600 along with a bunch of other IEM and over the ear cans. I use Amazon FLAC HD files upto 24bit - 192khz primarily. The Topping has only been at my home for 3 days playing it non stop trying to break it in- I even took out my TG Audio Power Cable to tame it down a bit- it did but not enough. I am using the Topping included USB wire and that was an improvement over the horrible Monstercable USB - I did order the Kimber USB should be here by next week. I know everyone keeps talking about how great the D90 is BUT seriously this thing is shimmering bright- detailed like no other dac I ever heard but far from warm. Don't be afraid to say what you think D90 owners let me hear ya!
Great gear increase speakers or headphones strengths and weaknesses for better or worse.
If you have headphones that have decent highs and great mids, but weak bass then with great dac and amp it gonna sound even more midcentric with bass getting even less spotlight.
Ofc there is noise issue. Noise can kill dynamics and make everything more digital and fake with much less realism and more fatigue.
With usb reclockers you can get much smoother and realistic sound, but it aint gonna change tonal balance and just increase transparency.

May 29, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #279 of 1,101
With ASIO, even on my speedy PC, I tend to get odd clicks and pops when I do other stuff on my computer, especially when I'm in Chrome. WASAPI is always clean, never have any issues with it - and it's also bitperfect. ASIO was made for when Windows didn't provide low level access to the audio device, like it does now with WASAPI exclusive mode. Unfortunately, a lot of software synths I use don't support WASAPI, only ASIO.

I thought both are capable of bit-perfect playback? And I've been running into some playback issues on WASAPI with roon. And it doesn't give me the option for native DSD playback.

May 29, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #280 of 1,101
I use a Mac Mini on Catalina, everything is working as it should, DSD and MQA, I use Roon.

May 29, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #281 of 1,101
I thought both are capable of bit-perfect playback? And I've been running into some playback issues on WASAPI with roon. And it doesn't give me the option for native DSD playback.
Yep, they're both bit perfect when setup correctly. And yes, native DSD requires ASIO. It's not supported over WASAPI. WASAPI also limits you to DSD256. There are some advantages to ASIO for sure.

May 30, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #282 of 1,101
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 user here.

Looking to replace the ECD-1 with something smaller (and at least as good-sounding, if not, better).
Currently using the DAC with my PC (SPDIF via M2Tech hiFace Two), connected to speaker system (Topping PA3 -> Epos M5) and headphone setup (Graham Slee Solo UL -> various headphones).
I stumbled on the D90 and it seems perfect for this purpose. BT connectivity is useful too. Coming from the Electrocompaniet, I don't know if the D90 is going to be a downgrade though. Anyone can chime in?

Thanks.

May 30, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #283 of 1,101
Anyone find the Topping D90 fatiguing? I know everyone keeps talking about how great the D90 is BUT seriously this thing is shimmering bright- detailed like no other dac I ever heard but far from warm. Don't be afraid to say what you think D90 owners let me hear ya!
I'm on day 2 with it and finding it pretty bright, at least when paired with the A90. It sure does a good job of pulling out all the details though. I've just placed a filter in my Aeons to tame the brightness a bit and it seems to be helping. I tried the HD6XX and they are also sounding the brightest I've ever heard them sound, so have to agree with you because that's a hard feat.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #284 of 1,101
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 user here.

Looking to replace the ECD-1 with something smaller (and at least as good-sounding, if not, better).
Currently using the DAC with my PC (SPDIF via M2Tech hiFace Two), connected to speaker system (Topping PA3 -> Epos M5) and headphone setup (Graham Slee Solo UL -> various headphones).
I stumbled on the D90 and it seems perfect for this purpose. BT connectivity is useful too. Coming from the Electrocompaniet, I don't know if the D90 is going to be a downgrade though. Anyone can chime in?

Thanks.
You have a very good dac. Headphones and amps are far more likely to get you any improvement more than a change in dac. As any audio engineer will tell you it is the implementation not just the choice of dac chip that results in improved sound. Comparing one good quality dac to another in a blind test would be far more difficult than comparing headphones or amps. Now if you are looking for new features in a dac that might be a reason to make the change.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #285 of 1,101
You have a very good dac. Headphones and amps are far more likely to get you any improvement more than a change in dac. As any audio engineer will tell you it is the implementation not just the choice of dac chip that results in improved sound. Comparing one good quality dac to another in a blind test would be far more difficult than comparing headphones or amps. Now if you are looking for new features in a dac that might be a reason to make the change.
Thanks. I don't have a ton of experience with DACs but I'm quite aware the ECD-1 is up there.

Only reason I want another DAC is to downsize (and not lose any SQ). The ECD-1 takes up space on the table (too wide to fit on the shelves) and prevents me from upgrading my monitor (speakers have no more space to spread if I upgrade to a wider screen). Funny reason but there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back