Topping D90
May 21, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #226 of 1,101

Time to burn in, impressions soon.
For better quality, you should leave RCA or XLR.The connection that You use.One of the connections.
Also in the menu, disable Bluetooth if You do not use it.
Also, for 1, the filter produces a more complete (natural) and dynamic sound field.
By default, the filter 3 is enabled, which plays slightly airy and light and ringing.Until You get used to the D90 sound, the difference between filters is almost not noticeable.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #227 of 1,101
For better quality, you should leave RCA or XLR.The connection that You use.One of the connections.
Also in the menu, disable Bluetooth if You do not use it.
Also, for 1, the filter produces a more complete (natural) and dynamic sound field.
By default, the filter 3 is enabled, which plays slightly airy and light and ringing.Until You get used to the D90 sound, the difference between filters is almost not noticeable.
Is there a way to disable/turn off the internal filter feature? I should probably explain that for those of us that use products like HQPlayer that have their own filter set I see this as a potential for a conflict.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #228 of 1,101
Is there a way to disable/turn off the internal filter feature? I should probably explain that for those of us that use products like HQPlayer that have their own filter set I see this as a potential for a conflict.
No. without a filter, this is the NOS mode that is not present here.In NOS mode, distortion increases significantly-harmonics degrade the characteristics.There are no problems with your player.

May 21, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #229 of 1,101
Let HQPlayer upsample to 705k or 768k as appropriate.

May 21, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #230 of 1,101
I use the Following settings ....
This will be the hidden menu.
Press and hold the on/off button on front panel, then I turned the power on.
Adjust brightness to your preferred likeness.
Set the unit to Dac mode, if not using preamp mode, this is the preferred method when connected to Amp.
Set your connection method, "line out" RCA/XLR
I turned Bluetooth module to the off mode.
And finally filter mode, I left it in default mode, which was filter 3 I believe, this of course is subjective, leave as you prefer.
I left other settings like DSD flag etc. alone. Save and exit, "11"

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #232 of 1,101
So, for any Mac user purchasing the MQA version, I have had zero issue with the DAC in Catalina O/S. I know there were some issues with the Mac O/S, but I have have not had any issues. Perhaps because its shipped to me with the newest updated firmware, that it has been stable and issue free so far. fingers crossed.

May 21, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #233 of 1,101
Gorgeous DAC. I’ll probably get it around Christmas when the pandemic settles down. Most likely I’m gonna use a hospital grade power cable because those tend to be better build quality and I like they way how they look.

May 21, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #235 of 1,101
What does a hospital grade power cord look like?

You can get them on eBay or Amazon.

8B71ED06-405C-4218-853F-F1803577D3EE.jpeg

May 21, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #236 of 1,101
Anyone knows a retailer / shop in Europe that still ships the D90? Amazon only has stock in China right now.

If it is shipping times you're concerned about you "might" be pleasantly surprised how quick it might turn up vs the estimate it's stating on Amazon. I ordered the Topping P50 from Shenzhen Audio seller on Amazon on 9th May, it was estimated to arrive between 20th-30th June and arrived 20th May. Their courier was 4PX. Got another order for xDuoo TA-30 from Linsoul Audio seller shipped with DHL ordered on 15th May and despite Amazon saying it's arriving 7th July DHL's tracking has it estimated at 26th May.

May 23, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #237 of 1,101
Get a Furman PST-8 and you won't need to worry about power cables. I just got one and it made a small but noticeable difference in sound quality: background is MUCH blacker and treble feels a bit sharper (but in a good way). With my GS-X mini back in the mix, this DAC is incredible. I'm hearing so much better separation, layering, and placement. There are so many stacked vocal layers in so many songs I've never heard before, it's blowing my mind. And the 4499's ability to properly resolve and separate instruments/layers in even the most complex of musical passages I have (all NIN--that's my jam), is just unreal. I cannot believe I prefer this DAC to every other I've owned (Mimby, Gungnir DS, Gumby A1, Amethyst, Onyx, Theta DS Pro Basic IIIA, Adcom GDA-600).

May 23, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #238 of 1,101
I just ordered a Liquid Platinum amp from Monoprice (which with sale plus promo code is currently going for the ridiculous price of $500 USD) and plan to get the D90 MQA in a few weeks (I'm waiting for a monthly check and a refund from Drop for cancelling my order for the D70 after they told me shipping was delayed and offered no new date). The D90's depth is relatively shallow--16 cm or about 6.3 inches. Can anyone with both tell me if you can safely stack the LP (8.5 inches) on top of the D90 (it will obviously overhang on one or both ends) without resorting to something like aftermarket feet? (Interestingly, the very similar new SMSL M400 is about 2 inches deeper and would appear to hold the LP without issue. Still awaiting some impressions on that DAC.)

May 24, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #239 of 1,101
The reason why I want the hospital power cable is because I like the way it looks. And I also like the psychological vibe of something that is used in a hospital. I like the novelty of having something that is not usually found in a household. Also, a hospital power cable Is known to have a better build quality compared to a stock cable.....however, power stock cables are usually well built anyway for home environments.

It has nothing to do with sound quality

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #240 of 1,101
Can anyone with both tell me if you can safely stack the LP (8.5 inches) on top of the D90?
It is best to leave some gaps between D90 and your LP or other audio equipment for heat dissipation as D90 will get quite warm after 30 minutes, using XLR output not sure about RCA output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back