Topping D90
May 27, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #257 of 1,101
Apart from Tidal, are there any other good reasons for buying an MQA-capable DAC? Do you believe other hi-res streamers could adopt it?
The useless function is needed for streaming.If the collection has its own collection of music, then it is a waste of money.It degrades the sound quality.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #259 of 1,101
A Chord Mojo owner here, looking for a desktop dac+headphone amp upgrade. How much of an upgrade, do you reckon, would the D90+A90 (or other similarly priced amp) stack be over the Mojo? Is the D90 closer to the Mojo or the Qutest in terms of quality? I don't care for DSD, Bluetooth and care little for MQA, though the latter might come handy at some point if Qobuz decide to adapt it.
Apart from Tidal, are there any other good reasons for buying an MQA-capable DAC? Do you believe other hi-res streamers could adopt it?
There's few alternative choices even now, and moving forward it looks like all devices capable of implementing MQA will come with it.

There's a forum thread elsewhere (here too?) that is actively pooh-poohing MQA and actively alerting Qobuz and other streaming services when an MQA source sneaks into their library. To some helpful outcomes, as the Qobuz App screws up the handling of MQA on some DAC's, whereas Tidal doesn't have a problem with MQA sources.

This link could be a very big time sync, you've been warned :)

Qobuz streaming MQA CD's?
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...eaming-mqa-cds/?do=findComment&comment=921419

Really, I'm not particularly interested in MQA per se - MQA comes with the latest D90 and also with the other AK4499 DAC's - released and soon to be released: M15, M400, A&K DAC's, Gustard A22 Rev. 2, etc - and the list goes on and on.

Am I? / are we? going to make a difference if I / we stop buying products with MQA? Well, the only difference would be I / we wouldn't be able to purchase FiiO M15 or Topping D90 Rev. 2, or any other high end DAC that supports MQA available now or in the future - I've seen MQA mentioned along with all the of the DAC's I've been interested in acquiring.

There are recording industry people that are very much supportive of MQA - as well as consumers very much against MQA.

As far as I have read, the MQA bruhaha is due to the substitution of lossy MQA recordings for lossless FLAC master recordings - causing we as consumers to lose the ability to have a "bit perfect" copy of the master recording.

I'd expect it would make much more difference on the consumer level to watch out for media distributed with MQA and not purchase or play them via streaming services. Choose the format we want to support moving forward at the source so to speak.

If the listener numbers drop enough when albums are switched out from Hi-Res to MQA then notice of those drops will be seen and action taken to restore listener activity - they won't want to loose $ on sales when noone buys or streams MQA source material.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #260 of 1,101
I have been living with the MQA D90 now for a couple of weeks. The $100.00 differences really for me, was worth having the availability of MQA decoding. Why not? I could have lived without say DSD, but usually these things are not an option, I d rather have MQA honestly than DSD.

I'm extremely impressed with this DAC it is an excellent performing device, I will avoid all the metephores that have been described when trying to provide impressions of audio devices and products. Suffice to say, I have been in this hobby forever and posting on Headfi for a long time. The D90 is an extremely insane state of the art device, great build quality and Toppings is making a lot of noise.
I decided to take a chance on the D90 based of word of mouth, trying a different brand and the fact this device measurements are frankly insane. and as it turns out, this DAC sounds fantastic with the Drop THX 789 and my HD800S.
If your on the fence take a chance you won't be disappointed its an excellent product, for me for the moment I'm satisfied until I get the itch to try something else. ill avoid ever saying end game again.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #261 of 1,101
OK, I may be a little pedantic here, but I think it is both incorrect and confusing to refer to MQA models as "Gustard A22 Rev. 2" and "Topping D90 Rev. 2." This implies that these are new upgraded versions of the base model that added MQA and superseded them (like the SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC, which made some running improvements and replaced the V1 at the same price). The base Gustard DAC-A22 without MQA still exists; it costs an additional $50 to get the version with MQA (which I don't think is available quite yet). Similarly the base Topping D90 is still a current model, the D90 MQA is a separate model (which also includes a major upgrade of the XMOS chip) and costs an additional $100.

I'm planning on getting a new DAC in a few weeks and am leaning to the D90 MQA since virtually all my music listening is via Tidal. Though I am also considering non-MQA DACs such as the Schiit Bifrost 2 (though it's been backordered for a while and the availability date keeps getting pushed back), the Denafrips Ares II, and the just announced (but not yet available) Gustard DAC A18, which undercuts the base D90 by a lot in price with roughly the same tech. I'd be very interested in the Gustard DAC-A22, but with or without MQA it would bust my budget and force me to wait at least another month. Also it's size (roughly 13 x 10 inches) is starting to edge into unwieldy status for my desktop.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #263 of 1,101
OK, I may be a little pedantic here, but I think it is both incorrect and confusing to refer to MQA models as "Gustard A22 Rev. 2" and "Topping D90 Rev. 2." This implies that these are new upgraded versions of the base model that added MQA and superseded them (like the SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC, which made some running improvements and replaced the V1 at the same price). The base Gustard DAC-A22 without MQA still exists; it costs an additional $50 to get the version with MQA (which I don't think is available quite yet). Similarly the base Topping D90 is still a current model, the D90 MQA is a separate model (which also includes a major upgrade of the XMOS chip) and costs an additional $100.
I agree - it's a little pedantic, but let's go with it :)

If you modify some of the main componentry of a device to bring about new features - and any other changes that get tacked on due to the engineers / manufacturers being unable to resist taking the revision opportunity to make other changes - then it's a new revision and you have a new generation of device.

Instead of calling it Mk. II, or Model 2, or some other designation to indicate the difference between the revisions, Topping is calling the new D90 revision the "MQA" revision. Topping could have just as well called it the D90 XU216 revision as called it the D90 MQA revision, or simply called it D90 Rev. 2 or D90 Mk. II.

Whether the marketing department gives the new feature(s) billing on the nameplate is irrelevant to the fact that the device has been revised into a new Revision.

I would be surprised if Topping produces any more D90's after they've run through their kitted inventory. The only thing that would keep the D90 in production is continuing customer demand. Once the existing D90 stock sells out Topping will need to compete with other new AK4499 DAC's that come with MQA - new models with no previous revision without MQA - and the D90 MQA - with a price reduction if necessary to match the competition - does that nicely.

With the D90 MQA Topping is setting the hardware and software features bar a little higher - as well as the price - for it's competitors to match.
I'm planning on getting a new DAC in a few weeks and am leaning to the D90 MQA since virtually all my music listening is via Tidal. Though I am also considering non-MQA DACs such as the Schiit Bifrost 2 (though it's been backordered for a while and the availability date keeps getting pushed back), the Denafrips Ares II, and the just announced (but not yet available) Gustard DAC A18, which undercuts the base D90 by a lot in price with roughly the same tech. I'd be very interested in the Gustard DAC-A22, but with or without MQA it would bust my budget and force me to wait at least another month. Also it's size (roughly 13 x 10 inches) is starting to edge into unwieldy status for my desktop.
I looked at the Gustard A18, but it doesn't have an optical input and it's a bit smaller package as well, maybe paired with the SMSL M200? I also looked at the SMSL M400 with MQA + M200, or Gustard A22 Rev. 2 XU216 + MQA support + M200 amp, or maybe wait forever for the Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced DAC + AMP, all not quite here yet.

Choosing the D90 MQA + A90, at this price point range, seems the best choice available today - for me and my use. Someone else might choose something else based on their own desires and usage, and wait a bit longer for it to show up.

BTW, old DAC's without MQA are adding MQA support via firmware updates - even low powered USB DAC dongles (AudioQuest), so not all MQA support requires a hardware upgrade.

Perhaps Topping and Gustard wanted to upgrade their platform hardware to be competitive by upgrading the XU208 to the XU216, and they needed an excuse to do it. MQA? Are all the new as yet unreleased DAC's using the XU216, or the XU208?

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #264 of 1,101

I was in a very similar position as you, all the devices you mention in your post were ones that I myself considered as well as the new SMSL M400. The Dac A18 reminds me too much of the SMSL 200 not a fan. the denafrips is a compelling choice different beast all together ladder Dac, maybe down the road for a different flavor. Decision, decisions. Good luck any of those are good devices to consider.

May 27, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #265 of 1,101
I was in a very similar position as you, all the devices you mention in your post were ones that I myself considered as well as the new SMSL M400. The Dac A18 reminds me too much of the SMSL 200 not a fan. the denafrips is a compelling choice different beast all together ladder Dac, maybe down the road for a different flavor. Decision, decisions. Good luck any of those are good devices to consider.
ATM, I am not considering the M400, perhaps for a dumb reason--at least in pictures the designs seems to be trying too hard to be very cool and make a fashion statement--sort of like the Beats of DACs. (OK, I'm 66; SMSL's marketing is probably not targeting me.) Not that I'm adverse to aesthetics--I'm waiting on a ZMF Aeolus that I ordered in part because it's just so damn beautiful. But the M400's looks just rub me the wrong way. Of course, there have been no reviews of it yet and I'd certainly consider it if it got good reviews by reviewers I trust (by which I do not mean Amir and ASR getting all excited that test tones produced infinitesimally less distortion in the M400 than last week's FOTM DAC which was already well under any level audible to man). TBH, the DAC I really want is the Denafrips, but since I listen to everything on Tidal I keep thinking the MQA decoder would make sense for me. With free shipping and no sales tax, the difference in price is only $30 (the Bifrost 2 is almost exactly the same price with shipping and tax, which Schiit charges).

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #266 of 1,101
MQA can only be useful for Tidal users. For the rest of us, it makes no sense to lay out $ 100 more than some steel manufacturers refuse MQA. MQA is a streaming high-RES(high sampling rate) with a smaller size and slightly worse sound quality compared to normal high-RES.
ПС.Naim declined to support MQA!!!

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #267 of 1,101
Anyone find the Topping D90 fatiguing? Im using the PASS headphone amp with Stealth Hybrid wire and man- the topping D90 its super clean dac with all the detail but I find is there ever a thing as too much detail in the highs? After some time listening I need to take a break. I even hooked up my 5 year old Dual Burr Brown Teac (UD301) DAC to see what warmth I was missing- sure enough the TEAC proved itself much nosier but warm but not as detailed. I needed to EQ w/ APO for the D90 to sound nearly perfect for me. My headphones are Etymotic ER4P and the Sennheiser HD600 along with a bunch of other IEM and over the ear cans. I use Amazon FLAC HD files upto 24bit - 192khz primarily. The Topping has only been at my home for 3 days playing it non stop trying to break it in- I even took out my TG Audio Power Cable to tame it down a bit- it did but not enough. I am using the Topping included USB wire and that was an improvement over the horrible Monstercable USB - I did order the Kimber USB should be here by next week. I know everyone keeps talking about how great the D90 is BUT seriously this thing is shimmering bright- detailed like no other dac I ever heard but far from warm. Don't be afraid to say what you think D90 owners let me hear ya!

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #268 of 1,101
Anyone find the Topping D90 fatiguing? Im using the PASS headphone amp with Stealth Hybrid wire and man- the topping D90 its super clean dac with all the detail but I find is there ever a thing as too much detail in the highs? After some time listening I need to take a break. I even hooked up my 5 year old Dual Burr Brown Teac (UD301) DAC to see what warmth I was missing- sure enough the TEAC proved itself much nosier but warm but not as detailed. I needed to EQ w/ APO for the D90 to sound nearly perfect for me. My headphones are Etymotic ER4P and the Sennheiser HD600 along with a bunch of other IEM and over the ear cans. I use Amazon FLAC HD files upto 24bit - 192khz primarily. The Topping has only been at my home for 3 days playing it non stop trying to break it in- I even took out my TG Audio Power Cable to tame it down a bit- it did but not enough. I am using the Topping included USB wire and that was an improvement over the horrible Monstercable USB - I did order the Kimber USB should be here by next week. I know everyone keeps talking about how great the D90 is BUT seriously this thing is shimmering bright- detailed like no other dac I ever heard but far from warm. Don't be afraid to say what you think D90 owners let me hear ya!
First thought, there's a filter selection menu in the "boot up" settings - power off from the back, hold down the left front button while flipping the power switch on the back.

There are a number of settings which might be of interest to you, and the rest of us, I'm going to point out the Filter settings which I think default to 3, with 4 being a "better" high's setting. Which could be "worse" for you, but I'm interested in using it - 62 year old hearing :)

"Lastly, if you check the user manual carefully, the FFT Spectrum will show the measured difference of those 6 digital filters, out of those Filter 3 and Filter 4 have the lowest ringing past 20 kHz, this is why I recommend using filter no.3 for a smoother top end or filter no.4 for more treble presence past 24 kHz. "

From that menu you can turn off the pre-amp - DAC only - fixed output volume, disable RCA or XLR output, Turn off BT completely, check out this link under "Tips & Tricks".

Another thought, there is a break-in period for the electronics which may "mellow" the sound over time, 150-200 hours?

Power filtering can help too, I don't have any consumer current recommendations, perhaps someone else has?

I'd be interested in how the Kimber sounds, I have SKW USB and XLR cables coming with the D90 MQA / A90, shipped today. :)

May 28, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #269 of 1,101
MQA can only be useful for Tidal users. For the rest of us, it makes no sense to lay out $ 100 more than some steel manufacturers refuse MQA. MQA is a streaming high-RES(high sampling rate) with a smaller size and slightly worse sound quality compared to normal high-RES.
ПС.Naim declined to support MQA!!!
This NAIM?

"Stevesky Sep '19
Hi Gents,
To put the record straight, Naim has always kept an open mind on new formats / market trends. Outside of the long winded forum debates of if its the way forward or not for audio nirvana, we take the view that if a technology hits a critical mass on adoption then give the customer what they want.

On some technologies we do this earlier than others. For example fully functional Roon Ready or Airplay2. On technologies that need a critical mass of market adoption and/or financial stability to survive we take a more careful approach. Being an early adopter can be a great way to burn a lot of cash and a product feature spec sheet that is a history lesson of dead technologies.

At a platform level all the new products (Atom and on-wards) can technically support MQA as a software upgrade. This includes the latest Muso MK2 and Qb MK2. Currently Roon users can get 1st unfold of MQA on the Naim platform and Roon exposes the Tidal Masters view…

Overall, we respect the work that the guys at MQA are doing. They’ve encouraged many a label to release native 24bit recordings to end consumers in MQA and native formats. For Hifi enthusiasts getting one step closer to the original is never a bad thing, especially on newer recordings where it will typically be in first generation 24bit format throughout the recording/mixing/final master process.

Best regards
Steve Harris
Software Director"
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/mqa-on-atom/3933/7

May 28, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #270 of 1,101
First thought, there's a filter selection menu in the "boot up" settings - power off from the back, hold down the left front button while flipping the power switch on the back.

There are a number of settings which might be of interest to you, and the rest of us, I'm going to point out the Filter settings which I think default to 3, with 4 being a "better" high's setting. Which could be "worse" for you, but I'm interested in using it - 62 year old hearing :)

"Lastly, if you check the user manual carefully, the FFT Spectrum will show the measured difference of those 6 digital filters, out of those Filter 3 and Filter 4 have the lowest ringing past 20 kHz, this is why I recommend using filter no.3 for a smoother top end or filter no.4 for more treble presence past 24 kHz. "

From that menu you can turn off the pre-amp - DAC only - fixed output volume, disable RCA or XLR output, Turn off BT completely, check out this link under "Tips & Tricks".

Another thought, there is a break-in period for the electronics which may "mellow" the sound over time, 150-200 hours?

Power filtering can help too, I don't have any consumer current recommendations, perhaps someone else has?

I'd be interested in how the Kimber sounds, I have SKW USB and XLR cables coming with the D90 MQA / A90, shipped today. :)
Thank you so much for your response. I read the manual while I waited for unit to be shipped- yea i'm like that... First thing I did when hooking it up was turn off volume in menu to make D90 a DAC only- I also disabled the unused XLR inputs and I definetly turned off BT. Check check and check! - I have a dedicated power line in my set up- separate run only for audio to my circuit breaker- I use a Tripplite power strip/surge/conditioner for this set up as well. You don't have to access filters by menu reboot to my knowledge- you can use remote. I tried all the filters and kept 4 on figuring it would help. I hear very little difference w/filters honestly- I wish they made them more noticeable -maybe an update if people insist. I can say after day 3- the sound is mellowing out - so burn in is real on this D90 at least for all those nay sayers on break in period for electronics - the fact is I listen my Fiio Q5s to make sure I still can make legit comparisons while changing wires etc on D90 etc- the D90 is getting warmed up so to speak - for reals. I am actually happy with my Zcable Jazz4 - a much cheaper wire than the Stealth wire but much more mellow as well- I will keep switching - to my ears the Stealth wire was the best I ever heard- revealing everything (my friend gave it to me he has Perfect 8's and a ton of Stealth wire with VAC amps so on his system too the Stealth was the most revealing- but maybe on the D90 it's too much of a good thing- its crystal clear dont get me wrong- its just like a razzor blade on ice with a magnifying glass revealing and that can get too much after a while with this particular Stealth wire (it was north of $1900 for this wire alone - I know insane but it was a gift). With the TEAC the Stealth was perfect. I will keep trying both wires as break in continues... Kimber USB should be noticeable improvement I hope. When using a scalpal like the Etymotic ER4P you hear all the changes and the D90 is crazy revealing of everything! Its insane! I think i'm smitten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back