Topping D50
Nov 22, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #286 of 1,054
4-5 turns of the power cable from the kit through the ferrite filter after a lousy switching power supply also does wonders with the sound of my D50. Рrice of this solution is half a dollar. I am absolutely sure that the conditioning of electricity before this power supply will not bring any benefit. Therefore, it is not necessary to declare the benefits of something in the abstract, not in relation to specific conditions.
Good for you for being so smart. I sadly have no engineering training to figure this out. So I spend money to buy stuff instead.

Also, you'll never know if it works until you try them. I have done enough tweaks to know that unless I've tried them, I shouldn't dismiss them too fast (unless it is dangerous).

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #289 of 1,054
As I already bought a low noise regulated supply, which I already mentioned, adding an RFI filter the box should be easy. Safely isolated, of course.

I could use some way to test results with and without the RFI filter.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #292 of 1,054
I already bought a 10A Corcom RFI filter on eBay.

But this matter deserves further investigation and research.

I was talking to an engineer friend of mine who told me to look with filters using high value inductors inside, the higher the better.

The values are specified on the outside, at least on the Corcom filter.

Large amperage is not necessary for low current units like a DAC.

So I will look at Corcom's filter list to see what they have.

If you are going to build or modify anything related with AC voltages remember: AC VOLTAGES KILL!

I will not be considered responsible for any accidents or damage to the equipment.

There are also laws on some countries related to fire prevention or safety which might be applied in case of an accident.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #293 of 1,054
I just got the Topping D50. Loving it so far.

I'm building a Starving Student headphone amp for a small tube setup at work and I'm wondering if anyone tried the Starving Student Topping D50 combo?

Thanks!
Brend

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #296 of 1,054
I was told that the JDS Labs Atom is a competent amp but I'd like to pair it with some tube warmth for a set of cans I have.

Any others pair this DAC with a tube based headphone amp?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #297 of 1,054
I was told that the JDS Labs Atom is a competent amp but I'd like to pair it with some tube warmth for a set of cans I have.

Any others pair this DAC with a tube based headphone amp?

I use this DAC with a Little Dot IV SE, and I like it better than my other solid state amps when listening to Sennheiser HD 650. The phones is another important factor in the combination of a DAC and an amp.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #298 of 1,054
Hi guys I'm about to buy this DAC for the JDS Labs objective 2. Would it go well? Thanks.

I've got the masdrop o2 and have used it with the d50. It works well, but like others have mentioned its really up to the headphones to make a total package. I used it with a pair of modded Senn hd 558( with 598 Cs pads) that i liked alot.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #299 of 1,054
Has anyone here used any of the other digital inputs besides the usb? I decided to give the optical input a try and feel that the sound quality is much better than usb. It takes some of the glare off the top and gives the dac more of a soft and spacious sound. I'm actually using an Emotiva Big ego usb dac that converts the signal to toslink via a wireworld nova cable. I have not tried the spdif input with the d50 though. I saw on the audio-science site that spdif measured worse than usb, but maybe that is only in a perfect world scenario and not in real world use like my computer's dirty usb? The optical cable does a nice job of keeping any ground noise out. Pretty happy with this result especially since I picked up the big ego for $66 on clearance, and especially since the big ego will pass dsd as dop through the optical out.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #300 of 1,054
Has anyone here used any of the other digital inputs besides the usb? I decided to give the optical input a try and feel that the sound quality is much better than usb. It takes some of the glare off the top and gives the dac more of a soft and spacious sound. I'm actually using an Emotiva Big ego usb dac that converts the signal to toslink via a wireworld nova cable. I have not tried the spdif input with the d50 though. I saw on the audio-science site that spdif measured worse than usb, but maybe that is only in a perfect world scenario and not in real world use like my computer's dirty usb? The optical cable does a nice job of keeping any ground noise out. Pretty happy with this result especially since I picked up the big ego for $66 on clearance, and especially since the big ego will pass dsd as dop through the optical out.
You should get 195kHz via quality toslink

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back